Advert Posting Guidelines | FerrariChat

Advert Posting Guidelines

Discussion in 'Ferraris' started by NeuroBeaker, Jan 8, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    #1 NeuroBeaker, Jan 8, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
    Advert Posting Guidelines
    Updated 8th January 2019

Be an informed member in the classifieds:

The rules and guidelines pertaining to the classifieds area has been updated for 2019, so please make sure you familiarize yourself with the requirements for participants:

Please remember that "bumps" which are the use of non-meaningful posts such as: "bump", "still available", "great deal", "unique item", "anyone?", etc. are not permitted. Updates must contain substantive new information or a meaningful change to sale parameters. The classifieds forums are focused on advertisements and are not suitable for chat/appreciation or discussion of market trends, so please be aware of the rules regarding commentary.

Sellers and buyers, please report any violations of classified area standards to the moderation team via the report button on the relevant post. We will tend to it as soon as possible.​

Posting your advert:

Before you create your classified advert thread, you should put some thought into what you would like to say, what pictures you want to include in the first post, and how you want to format the text. This is the time to put your best face forward.

Remember to select an appropriate thread status tag. At this stage, it will typically be For Sale or Wanted. See below for more information about thread tags.

Prices are now required for sellers. However, it is advisable to place these in the text instead of the thread title. Prices in the title might become outdated if you later change them, so please bear that in mind and choose a title that will reflect your ongoing sale whatever you decide to do with the price in the future.

Before clicking to create your thread, make use of the preview button. This will let you examine and easily fine-tune your own own presentation before going live with a created thread. Once the thread is live, you only have a short window to make any changes to the text of the opening post before it is set.​

Price reductions and other updates:

Moderators might edit thread titles that are erroneous or misleading as time or attention is available, but these will be rare occurrences. We cannot fine tune thread titles or posts or restart entire adverts just because the author gets a better idea a little later. The entire thread is considered your advert, rather than just the first post, so it is expected that you will put your updates (price, mileage, new pictures, etc.) in the thread as new posts rather than repeatedly request assistance to manage the thread title and first post as a living document throughout the entire sale.

If you decide a substantive update such as a price reduction is required, add a post regarding the price drop. This will make the thread newly active to members who may have previously read and passed over the thread and members following the thread can check in to see what changed - members subscribed to the thread will not get notifications of first post edits so they reduce update visibility, are not to anyone's advantage anyway, and are not an option.​

Thread tags and editing your advert's status:

Thread tags indicate the status of an item. We presently use:
    • For Sale
    • Sold
    • Taken Off Market
    • Sale Pending
    • Auction
    • Wanted

Moderators will change thread tags for you upon request. To bring a thread status update to the attention of the moderators, please follow these steps:
    1. Post your update in the thread: sale pending, sold, or withdrawn from market.
    2. Hit the report button on your update post to bring it to the attention of the moderators.
    3. Be patient. A moderator will change the thread tag for you as soon as possible.

Any questions, contact a moderator or one of the administrators, Jack (@Booker) or Rob (@rob lay).

All the best,
    Andrew.

2. puckybadger

puckybadger Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 12, 2016
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    I can't imagine anyone having an issue with any of these requirements.

3. robert344@verizon.net

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2015
    Full Name:
    robert
    just don't know how to go about starting the posting !!

any help

chinamoon, Anthony Jr and Ellagirl like this.
  4. xscash

xscash Rookie

Apr 26, 2014
    Mass
    Full Name:
    Russell Warwick
    I'm looking for a specific car and I can't figure out how to post my wanted post.

chinamoon likes this.
  5. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    In the F/S section, click "Post New Thread", on the left hand side, select drop-down (where it starts with "No-Prefix") select "Wanted", fill out the subject/what you're looking for in body, then start thread.

Anthony Jr likes this.
  6. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    Before you get into the mechanics, you need to be a subscribed user first (not just a registered user). Go to "Upgrade" on the menu bar.

BOKE and 19633500GT like this.
  7. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    #7 ylshih, Sep 7, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
    Any seller may choose to close their ad to any questions or commentary at the time of initial posting or subsequently and require that users contact them through "conversations" for further details. Use the report function to request that a moderator close the ad. Moderators will not generally make edits or additions to closed ads or delete any posts made prior to a request for closure.

A seller who chooses to post a closed ad from the start should make every effort to provide as many details as possible in the original ad as any missing information will have to be repeated in private conversation. They should also conclude the ad with a notice that the ad is a "closed ad" and to contact them via private conversations for further information or to make offers. Also, any new users who are motivated to register to reply to a seller's closed ad will find they are cut off from communication via private conversations until they have passed through the anti-spam process that requires they post a few times before they can access conversations.

A seller can also choose to close their ad after it has been active. If they choose to do so because of comments they perceive are negative or detrimental to their ad, they should be aware that moderators will generally not delete posts leading up to the request for closure, so those posts will remain.

8. Scott Coleman

Scott Coleman Rookie

Sep 11, 2019
    Reno, NV
    Full Name:
    Scott Coleman
    Hi Andrew, I am brand new to this forum and do not even know how to post anything. How do I post a personal car for sale and where?
    Thanks, Scott

9. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    Scott Coleman and NeuroBeaker like this.
  10. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Hi Scott,

Welcome to FerrariChat! Your first post had to be approved following your registration, hence the initial delay. If you take out a paid subscription (account upgrades), it will enable you to post a personal car for sale in the individual classified advertisements areas:

All the best,
    Andrew.

Scott Coleman likes this.
  11. Moxer

Moxer Rookie

Jun 24, 2017
    Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Justin Wallin
  12. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
  13. Moxer

Moxer Rookie

Jun 24, 2017
    Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Justin Wallin
    Thank you Andrew! Very much appreciated. Would it be too much to ask to delete the posts, or to remove the pricing? It goes live on BaT this week and they are sticklers about having pricing floating around out there. The post is fine if it should stay but the pricing apparently isn't. And I've tried and tried to figure out how to edit the post(s) but I can't figure it out. I'm sure that it's user-error on my part. I greatly appreciate any assistance you can provide (or direction so that I do it myself). Apologies in advance for the inconvenience and thank you so much. ---

14. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    #14 NeuroBeaker, Sep 14, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
    They're isn't any pricing in the advert. For further details, you linked to an off-site broker who listed Price On Asking.

All the best,
    Andrew.

15. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    Also as a general rule, we do not remove pricing, photos or do any other substantive edits to user's posts once posted. We will correct errors or change status. If you place an ad here and then change your mind, it still stays, we simply mark the change of status. Many users have made the request to delete ads here because of wanting to move to BaT and been consistently refused as we have policy that posts made here become part of a searchable history of the site content and a resource for Ferrari owners or future owners. How strictly BaT enforces their pricing rule is on them.

NeuroBeaker likes this.
  16. Moxer

Moxer Rookie

Jun 24, 2017
    Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Justin Wallin
    Andrew (@NeuroBeaker) and @ylshih Thanks so much for your help - I really do appreciate it. Sorry that I didn't know the rules on pricing in ads - I should have and that's why the guidelines here on FerrariChat exist. Dumb on my part.

And now I'm afraid that I've likely made another blunder. The car didn't sell on BaT so I reposted it here yesterday.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/1979-308-gtb.607995/#post-146834927

A member mentioned that I shouldn't have more than one listing and should consolidate the one I placed yesterday with the earlier one.

If that's the case then I screwed it up. I'm not sure how to consolidate if that's what I should have done. I greatly appreciate any insight or direction you could provide. Thank you again - you've been great AND very patient. I appreciate it.

17. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    Threads merged. In future, you could have done all that by posting price reductions or asking us to change tags: Post new for sale thread => post a price reduction on the existing thread => change tag to taken off the market => change tag back to for sale.

NeuroBeaker likes this.
  18. Moxer

Moxer Rookie

Jun 24, 2017
    Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Justin Wallin
    Got it - thanks so much and I’ll do that in the future.

Very much appreciate it.

19. Moxer

Moxer Rookie

Jun 24, 2017
    Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Justin Wallin
  20. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Please see this section of the advert guidelines:

Your post in your advert will be sufficient to alert serious buyers, who will be looking through the whole thread as the advert and not only skimming post #1.

All the best,
    Andrew.

BOKE likes this.
  21. Moxer

Moxer Rookie

Jun 24, 2017
    Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Justin Wallin
    @NeuroBeaker and @ylshih this car has been sold - thanks so much for your help

22. b.wood30

b.wood30 Rookie

Apr 27, 2017
    Full Name:
    Brian Wood
    How do I
    Post a car for sale? I upgraded my account

23. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    The system will now allow you to create a thread in the individual classified advertisements areas:

So, depending on whether the car is a Ferrari or other brand, go to the relevant section linked above and at the top of the page you'll see "post new thread".

As for the rest, please see the first post in this thread and read thoroughly. I suggest thinking about your advert carefully to get off to the best start. Good luck!

All the best,
    Andrew.

24. b.wood30

b.wood30 Rookie

Apr 27, 2017
    Full Name:
    Brian Wood
    I upgraded but don’t see anywhere to post a classified

25. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Click on the links in the posts you're quoting. They are direct links to the classifieds forums, where you can post your advert.

All the best,
    Andrew.