Pesky front bumper sensors | FerrariChat

Pesky front bumper sensors

Discussion in '612/599' started by Da Butcher, Sep 30, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Da Butcher

Da Butcher Karting

Jan 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jose Marie Alandy
    All HGTE 's came standard with front & rear bumper sensors.

My car's front sensors seem to be oversensitive or something may not have been reset properly after the front bumper was removed to repair its bottom's parking rash, repainted and reinstalled with new hard plastic skid plates.

The front sensors beep normally when the car comes to a full stop (why?), but either the left sensor or middle sensor beeps intermittently or insistently even though there isn't an object within 6-7 feet of proximity (phantom or ghost, perhaps?). I thought there might have been some dirt or bug that got splattered on them but they're clean as a whistle, so I just continually press the 'sensor off' button on the console to quiet it down. I know there's a function command on the dashboard TFT display to shut off the sensors but that would completely defeat their purpose, especially when parking in tight spots.

However, the rear bumper sensors do not suffer from the same issues. I think they're also calibrated to start sensing objects at a minimum of about three feet before the initial warning beep occurs. Not sure if that's per spec for the 599's sensors.

Has anyone else found their 599's front sensors to be just as annoying? Regardless, my SL55-AMG and CLS550 sensors are not as pesky or annoying.

2. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    At best inconsistent. Sometimes they work, sometimes not so much. But, when working they do detect at about 3’ and they will detect a curb or parking block so that is good.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

Mor likes this.
  3. Da Butcher

Da Butcher Karting

Jan 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jose Marie Alandy
    Thanks John,

Detecting a curb or parking block at 3' is exactly what I've expected them to perform on a regular basis and they do so. But beeping 'bloody murder' incessantly when there's absolutely no object within 6' of the sensors is downright annoying.

So yesterday, I contacted Chris, the Service Manager at FSB (not the Russian spy agency) and he'll take a look into it next week before he leaves for Maranello IT. He's been nominated as one of the 12 Ferrari Service Managers worldwide vying for the prestigious annual Ferrari Testa Rossa Award for excellence and superb knowledge.

After Chris analyzes this problem, I'll report on findings and outcome.

4. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Jose, I'm having a similar problem on my Infiniti DD and it's from the paint coming off the sensors. Even a spot the size of a pin head will cause them to start the "bloody murder" beeping. Perhaps your sensors are having a similar problem?

I replaced two of them, and all was well for a month until I had the car detailed and it began again, and I noticed one of the older sensors had a spot of paint missing. I'm tempted to get a vial of touchup paint and daub it on & see if it helps.

The Infiniti sensors are around $600 apiece at the dealer, although with some diligent shopping they can be found for about $250 online. I'm sure with the dreaded Ferrari tax they must command eye watering prices.

5. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    The sensors are very delicate. Any small rock/gravel hit can damage them, and then they will cause false readings. Are there any marks on the sensors indicating a rock hit?

6. Da Butcher

Da Butcher Karting

Jan 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jose Marie Alandy
    No stone chip damage or cracked paint or splattered bugs on my car's front sensors: as I said earlier, they're "clean as a whistle"!

As a matter of fact, the fascia of my car has no stone chips at all to date (knock on wood). I've tried to back away from closely following any car or truck on roads or freeways. As I also understand it, Ferrari began applying a new type of paint starting in 2007, a paint that contains ceramic nano particles that hardens it and reduces the incidence of stone chip damage.

As I also recall, I had a similar but worse issue when my '09 CLS550's front bumper got cracked when my oldest son tried the "parking by Braille" technique right onto a curb. After the bumper was replaced with a new one with the front sensors reinstalled, they were beeping incessantly at each stop even when the nearest car or object was about 10' away. The body shop tech got a mechanic to reposition and realign the sensors which were slightly aimed downward and the annoying problem went away.

We'll find out next week after I take it to FSB for analysis by their Service Manager.