Rock 'n Stroll . . . The Stroller Thread. | Page 121 | FerrariChat

Rock 'n Stroll . . . The Stroller Thread.

Discussion in 'F1' started by tifoso2728, Mar 1, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Definitely worth subscribing. Business section is good. Silver is good. Some quality thoughts and ideas are exchanged regularly. You can skirmish in P&R if that is your deal.

Ferrari 308 GTB likes this.
  2. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Perez P7

Stoller on P-11 LOL. Not disappointing us today lol

3. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    No, as i said often he's, the most reliable f.1 driver.....at sucking :)

VPX likes this.
  4. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    I maintain that in some ways Stroll is one of the most talented drivers in the F1 field.

5. stavura

stavura Formula 3

Sep 1, 2016
    U.K
    Full Name:
    Harold Lounge
    Lolololol. I really don't share your opinion. Stroll is not F1 material.
    However I must say, I do enjoy watching him, he is comedy.

VPX likes this.
  6. VPX

VPX Karting

Jun 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Victor
    And probably his talents are being held by poor cars? Sorry, but I do not share your opinion.

Despite my pet peeve with Stroll, one day he will be a forgettable #2 on one big team, I think. Kind of bottas but slower.

375+ and stavura like this.
  7. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    He is, he's got a a lot of "talents" in his pockets!

VPX likes this.
  8. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    If Stroll is not F1 material, you might as well eliminate half the field.

He is not WDC material, but he is certainly good enough for F1.

Nuvolari likes this.
  9. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    wich "half the field"? ...i ask because i can't see anyone slower than him! I mean, Grosjean makes some stupid mistakes, but he can drive rings around your friend, Kvyat is a lose canon, but he's twice as fast, so is Gasly, and both Mclaren drivers are light years ahead of Stroll, Russel would trouce him with no hands, and i bet even Robert can beat him with just one! Giovinazzi is also quicker, so who's left?

10. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Lance received the most expensive tutelage in the history of all motorsport and has shown himself to be nothing more than mediocre.

VPX and bmwracer like this.
  11. stavura

stavura Formula 3

Sep 1, 2016
    U.K
    Full Name:
    Harold Lounge
    Wrong! The ONLY reason Lance has a seat is because his dad bought him his very own racing team.

If you had a racing team, would you hire him based on his driving credentials?

chinaleeexports likes this.
  12. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    To those that discount my comment on Lance's talent I say that you need to broaden your perspective.

To be a professional racing driver requires a balance of talents that one is born with and really had no control in obtaining them. Among these are excellent vision (not just acuity but other factors as well), sharp reflexes, quick brain processing, balance, etc. Anyone who has ever spent any time pursuing a career in motorsport will also tell you that, barring a massive disability in one of the aforementioned talents, the single greatest asset a driver can have is the ability to finance their progress and participation in the sport. Having finances will easily surpass most other weaknesses. To this end Lance is massively talented as he had as little impact on his financial possibilities as he did on the physiological attributes that make him appropriate to be a driver.

Problem is that in the racing world the title of 'rich kid' is like nails on a chalk board to tons of drivers that only 'think' they are talented but have never proved it. Being wealthy is a dirty and maligned talent that is grudgingly accepted but never praised however it is more important than anything else if a driver is to succeed.

Getting back to Lance in the lower formulas he was up against plenty of well financed drivers and did win championships along the way. He scored the necessary points needed to get a Super License (something Max would not have qualified for had he entered F1 any later) and there is no evidence of any tampering to obtain this so he did it on driving merit (boy that stings for some).

In F1 he has shown himself to be a pretty solid mid-pack driver with a good finishing ratio and ok racecraft. He certainly is not rubbish and is up to the F1 level but has not shown himself to to be WDC material. Talented in that few statistical anomalies like Hamilton, Max, or Leclerc? No, but certainly in the top fractions of a percent of the racing world and fine for where he is; a journeyman F1 driver who will likely come and go without much notice which accounts for pretty much MOST of the drivers which will ever drive or have ever raced F1. Still an elite group in the sport.

VPX, Thecadster and tifosi12 like this.
  13. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    ^Lance lacks one thing that the all the other drivers have.

Passion. The treats being an F1 driver like its a video game -- something to do for fun.

14. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Funny how quick people are to judge the rich saying that they only do things because they have money, that they lack passion, don't appreciate, etc.

The world will always be full of more appreciative and passionate people but don't for a moment think that F1 is something to do for fun. Even with EVERYTHING paid for and first class travel all the way, racing is an incredibly involved activity that weeds out the casual participant very quickly. At the F1 level it is very involved and hard work. Regardless of money to get there is to have gone through plenty of racing hardship and to have avoided innumerable pits of snakes.

Lance may lack the last tiny spark of the WDC caliber driver but don't for a moment pretend like you know what he or anyone like him thinks of feels or that he is out there for kicks.

william likes this.
  15. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    This

16. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    And what's wrong with that?

Nothing in my book.

The 'hungry for success and victory' driver is such a cliche. Many F1 drivers have been born with the silver spoon. As a matter of fact the very sport of F1 racing was created by gentlemen-drivers who were looking for some Sunday afternoon past time. Not everybody is going to be a Lauda or Mansell who were betting the bank/farm to get into the sport.

william and Nuvolari like this.
  17. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    What's wrong with that?

Well he doesn't mind that his co-driver beats him in just about every session and race. That's what's wrong with that. He just doesn't care.

18. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    First off as Nuvolari pointed out, Stroll earned his super license on merit. So the whole notion, that anybody of us could be in that seat is rubbish and arrogance per se.

Would he have made it into F1 without dad's money? Hard to say. But also a bit of a pointless question as most drivers bring money to get their first seat. Even the great MS had to buy his first F1 seat.

Would I hire him based on his talent alone? Again the wrong question: F1 is very much a business and drivers are selected for a variety of reasons. Talent being one, but also what sponsors they bring and how they fit into the wider picture of the team's global marketing plan (e.g. a French driver in a Renault can sell more cars on Monday).

If talent were the only reason to select a driver, many seats would be empty (or would be filled eventually with even lesser talented drivers from lower/GP2 series).

And while we're at the topic of rich dads buying their so-so talented sons a seat: How is Mick doing these days? Just saying...

william, bmwracer and Nuvolari like this.
  19. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Many F1 drivers have accepted that their team mate is simply faster than them. People like Patrese, Surer or Irvine. All journey men, just like Stroll. Still they had their own followers and fan base (I loved Surer and Irvine simply for who they were and celebrated whatever successes they were able to garner).

william, VPX and bmwracer like this.
  20. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Absolutely on point. I find it amazing how many people purport themselves to be 'experts' on racing but totally ignore the economics that make the sport exist in the first place.

So many drivers claim they are talented but the REALITY is that you need to spend many millions of dollars before you will ever know if your talent is good enough for the world class level. Until then it is all just talk because to prove it you need to beat the drivers at the higher levels where it is very expensive to participate. Even karting these days costs many hundreds of thousands of dollars and with drivers now being written off as too old for F1 in their early 20's people just don't get that the millions needed to progress quickly is very much out of the hands of even the most promising driver.

They are ALL rich kids just some are more rich than others.

william and tifosi12 like this.
  21. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    And on the notion of F1 being the top echelon: whenever somebody/a TV show runs some weird comparison they put a former F1 driver in the seat and chances are that person beats pretty much everbody else there is. You don't need to be a WDC to be one of the world's finest/fastest drivers. If you get your super license and have some F1 experience, chances are that you'll be able to outrun 99% of all other drivers on the planet

Which is also why retired F1 drivers do well at DTM or Le Mans. Or "just" being the Stig.

PS: A friend of mine who is no slouch in his own cars, once had the honor of being a passenger of Foitek Jr. in a road Ferrari. It was an unreal experience of car control he witnessed. Foitek who? Right. Another rich kid (very nice guy btw) who is a has-been in F1 and never amounted to much. But boy, can he drive. Like they all can.

william and Nuvolari like this.
  22. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    #3022 Ferrari 308 GTB, Oct 1, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
  23. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Lance isn't faster because Lance DOESN'T CARE.

Lance likes his "participation award"

24. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

This awaits Lance. Great track day coach in the making. No rich father no F1 for Lance. He won’t be hired on talent alone by another team. This is the “ on point “ about Stroll - period!

25. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Too much passion in this thread :)
    To me Stroll is definitely a mediocre F1 racer, as is proven by his records - on the current grid probably only Kubica is actually slower.
    Does that mean that with the same money I could be an F1 driver? certainly not, I have no driving talent and would struggle in Formula Ford even with loads of money. But that's not the point - we're talking about F1 drivers, supposed to be the best, and here Stroll is the worst.
    Senna was from a very well off family and nobody I know discounted his skills for that.

furoni likes this.