My 1997 Girard Perregaux Ferrari model 8020 chronograph wristwatch | Page 3 | FerrariChat

My 1997 Girard Perregaux Ferrari model 8020 chronograph wristwatch

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by Brian A, Sep 1, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Martin,

You know that Schedoni made some kind of "Watchrolls" (= like a tool roll, but with pockets for watches) that might be found on E-Bay from time to time, for travelling with your watches? They even made boxes for storing your watches...
    Not that I need a "watchroll" because I used to travel always with the same watch, my trusty Hamilton. Alas, it stopped working at the beginning of the year, after 30 years of good service, and they told me they do not make the spare parts for that model anymore.
    Perhaps a sodium valve that broke...

Rgds

2. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    It is now one year since I bought my GP8020.

I have occasionally been checking Chrono24 through the year. When I bought the watch, there were only 20 or so GP8020s listed on Chrono24. Now there are 60 to 70.

Despite the higher numbers available now, I have never seen my exact style of 8020 again in the condition I bought it, that is unblemished with boxes and papers. I never thought much about the low number when I was shopping, but now I feel very lucky.

The watch now has sentimental value, as do all my watches. I still love the thing and wear it with great pride.

Martin308GTB likes this.
  3. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Brian,

glad to hear, that you still like your acquisition. No matter how many are currently on the market, I have the impression -at a quick glance- that prices are fairly stable. It even seems, that those with the small cavallino instead of the yellow scudetto and steel bracelet did rise.

Best from Germany
    Martin

4. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Egad!

… it was TWO years ago that I bought my 8020.

5. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    #55 Brian A, Feb 28, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
    No matter: my watch is to own and enjoy. I can't imagine there is any depreciation left in a 20 year old unfashionable watch though.

Supply and demand versus pricing seems to be different for wristwatches. There are more than 5,200 Rolex Daytonas -- a very fashionable watch -- listed for sale on Chrono24 yet their price does not seem to be impacted by availability.

6. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    #56 Martin308GTB, Feb 28, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
    Talking about fashion. Did you notice, that the weird fashion trend of huge watches with a diameter 45mm+ is over?
    And more and more watchmakers are going back to the classic men's and lady's sizes?

A current Breitling watch in the size of our GP:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Best from Germany
    Martin

7. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    To me, some watches look nice a little "plus-sized". The classic Cartier "Tank" watch (I have always wanted one) is tiny and the new bigger size looks great. But apparently like you, I think some manufactures took plus-sizing just a little to far.

I like that both genders are now wearing what ued to be called "mens" watches although my wife seems to only wear dainty little things.

8. mclaudio

mclaudio Formula 3

Dec 13, 2003
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Claudio
    #58 mclaudio, Mar 5, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
    I have an 8090 i.e. 250 TdF model. I bought it brand new in 1997 and the only watch I have kept in my watch collection since new. Why:

1. GP/Ferrari relationship at a time of my peak interest in motorsports (90s) and Ferrari. I was racing, following LdM and Schumacher’s quest with Ferrari, and gaining full appreciation for old/new Ferrari race cars
    2. My last watch indulgence prior to my corporate job departure to pursue a career in motorsports
    3. The watch I wore throughout my motorsport career - wrenching on race cars, learning data acq, eventually playing engineer in CART/Indy 500, building a business in motorsports including Ferrari F1 program, and opening up my eyes to sky-is-the-limit entrepreneurship
    4. 250 TdF represents the quintessential dual use street/race car Ferrari from a golden automotive era. My street legal 355 Challenge racecar is a modern interpretation of the 250TdF dual use philosophy and coincides with GP company’s time period tribute to the 250TdF. Great car/watch pairing which also represents another great automotive era (90s)
    5. As mentioned, GPs are well-built quality watches; mine has never been opened. At that time, GP was one of the handful remaining true manufacturers of watches. Most watches today source various bits/movements from others
    6. I still very much enjoy its aesthetics; subtle and elegant enough yet full of detail which makes it versatile to wear at a nice dinner gathering or at a casual activity
    7. Perfect size for me and not-so-big wrist.

I’ve bought and sold others but this remains..even as I see higher asking prices. Heirloom material, it is.

Brian A and Martin308GTB like this.
  9. doyler

doyler Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2008
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Colm Doyle
  10. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Your images are very small so it is not possible for us to make much comment.

If it is authentic, it would pre-date the official partnership between GP and Ferrari. That would mean that it is a one-off watch that Enzo would have given as a gift to someone. Dubious, but possible. A one-off watch should come with some known providence.

Get it assessed by a reputable jeweler who can at least assess whether the movement looks like authentic GP.

11. doyler

doyler Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2008
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Colm Doyle
    Thank you for your reply. I can not find another one the same on the net so maybe it is a fake. Pity, as I think its a nice looking watch.

12. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Possibly a fake but since you like it, it may be worth investigating through a reputable jeweler. Maybe it's real. … From what your small pictures show, it does look a little "off balance" in aesthetics, so must admit its a little suspicious.

I may have overstated the rarity of one-off. Apparently, Enzo also issued watches a couple of times to his factory workers. Not sure they would be GP quality though.

You might also browse the following thread to see if anything similar to your watch catches your eye. Regardless it is a fascinating read.
    Ferrari watches thread : From vintage chronographs to partnership with manufacturers

13. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

I bought this watch from Xenu/BOKE a few months back. It was in perfect condition. I had worn it about a week, when my son saw it and said that it was the coolest watch he had seen. (He liked it more than my Daytona.) So he is wearing it now, which is why I have a stock picture of it.

14. doyler

doyler Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2008
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Colm Doyle
    I read that thread from start to finish last night !! I really enjoyed it and cant believe I hadn't seen it before.

15. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    It's now three years since my wife gave me my Girard Perregaux 8020 to memorialize a big life event plus a milestone birthday.

A status report? ... I still love it. The monochrome theme still really does it for me. I don't wear it a whole lot but I do whenever I'm on a Ferrari-related event or just in the mood to wear something cool. By a long shot it is the fanciest watch I own.

I had "Girard Perregaux 8020" in the search box when I bookmarked the Chrono24 website so whenever I open Chrono24 what I see are the newest 8020 listings. I look fairly frequently. To my surprise, I have never seen another copy of my watch for sale in the same like-new condition. A few have popped up (there are currently 2 in the 62 listings for 8020s) but all have had scratches and nicks. Only after three years of checking do I realize the serendipity of finding a perfect mint condition boxes and papers version. And it was at a time when there were much fewer listings (I recall there were about 21 or so).

Realizing this after 3 years makes me like the watch even more. Its a keeper.

mclaudio likes this.
  16. stevegtsi

stevegtsi Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2004
    they are great watches-very under-rated and under-appreciated, and they will always look great. classic design. i have several for sale if anyone is interested

17. ExcelsiorZ

ExcelsiorZ Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 7, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    The 250 TR is one of the most spectacular watches....far nicer IMO than a Rolex Daytona. A total of SEVEN hands, beautifully shaped with red tips. The back of the case is beautiful as well with the 250TR on the back. It don't get any better than this!

The way you have it set its hiding a couple of the hands. I prefer to have the chronograph run then leave the large second hand between the 1 and 2 so you get to see all five hands in full display.

mclaudio likes this.
  18. otoupalik

otoupalik Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Brad Otoupalik
    I have been fortunate enough to own a few GP Ferraris. Sold them all except 2 as those two are close to my heart!

This was the first GP I lusted for and the first I bought. It was like my 2nd or 3rd "nice" watch when I was just jumping in. I just love it.

This one is very special as it is the Aluminum as someone else posted earlier. Funny story on this one, as I was wearing it to the Pebble/Historics weekend once, and I was with a buddy that was a pro driver sponsored by GP. We stopped into a jewelry store party sponsored by GP. The then president of GP said "that isn't real" and I said "excuse me" lol We sent it in and he sent back a letter apologizing and saying the alum non chrono is so rare that he had not seen one! So with my love of all things MS, and the origin of the alum, I will NEVER sell that one!

Rock on all GP fans!

19. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
  20. otoupalik

otoupalik Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Brad Otoupalik
  21. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    I just realized that the 4th year anniversary of me getting my GP8020 was just a few days ago.

Status Report:
    I still loooove it.

mclaudio and Martin308GTB like this.
  22. ExcelsiorZ

ExcelsiorZ Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 7, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    I spoke to a rep from Girard-Perregaux at Pebble Beach as they just signed a deal with Aston Martin. They sold out a crazy expensive new watch and he stated given the company's direction now they anticipate watches like their Ferrari series will be going up in value. I've a collection of these and have put one up for sale here on BAT. Subdials looks very similar to the new Rolex Daytona.....or should I say the subdials of the Rolex looks much like the Girard-Perregaux

Attached Files:

23. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Congrats! :)

the original elegance is gone, while they just copied that Audemars Piquet signature hexagon styling.

Best from Germany
    Martin

24. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    I remain grateful for the help and courage you gave me to go and find my watch.

Regarding the Aston Martin watch, I don't think that is true. It looks like they are using their "Three Flying Bridges" tourbillon design. I think it looks fantastic. Here is a link to the Aston Martin webpage about it: Girard-Perregaux | Aston Martin

25. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    O.k., I meant this one and others which are looking similar:

Best
    Martin