I have cleaned almost all of my sticky parts !! | FerrariChat

I have cleaned almost all of my sticky parts !!

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Docopp, Sep 29, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Docopp

Docopp Karting

Aug 28, 2011
    Crosby Texas
    Full Name:
    Ed
    I have cleaned the sticky off of all of the steering wheel pieces, A/C control, instrument cowling, up above rear view mirror etc
    The secret is....… microfiber towel wrapped around one or two fingers and denatured alcohol.
    No other liquid, also no Q tips (the stick scratches).
    Use a lot of denatured alcohol, rub medium pressure, and keep using clean spot on microfiber towel.
    Be patient, will seem like it's not working for maybe 3 or 4 minutes, then the sticky crap will begin to "melt" and start coming off, keep being patient with a lot of fluid and a new towel spot often...….
    Hold the little knobs on the A/C control etc as you rub so you won't break them loose, or gently pull the small knobs off...….
    Be patient, it's worth it, the driving experience is very much enhanced with smooth controls on the steering wheel !!

2. JackCongo

JackCongo Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Thanks for the tip! Did it alter the marks on the button?

3. Bandit23

Bandit23 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2016
    Miami
    thanks for the tip, yes as JackCongo asked -the alcohol didnt not damage/remove any of the original markings on buttons right...

this is great news if this worked out..

thanks

4. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Congrats! Although Let me caution others that not all buttons are the same. Some of the alcohol can rub off markings (especially the ones 'etched' into the black coating) -- ask me how i know....

:(

I generally use alcohol as well, but very cautiously, and as I said, only on particular buttons/surfaces.

5. Docopp

Docopp Karting

Aug 28, 2011
    Crosby Texas
    Full Name:
    Ed
    The key is let the denatured alcohol do the work, not rubbing hard and only use denatured alcohol !!!!!!!
    The only one that removed a little more than ideal, but still looks good is the bumpy road button on the steering wheel, but I rubbed too hard since this was one of the first that I did.
    A good place to start, the gummy crap on top of the instrument panel comes off EZ !!!

PJxxx likes this.
  6. PJxxx

PJxxx Karting

Sep 14, 2017
    Full Name:
    PJ Cusano
    It’s preferable to pull all the plastic pieces off, and after limited direction on-line and ensuing frustration leads you to break 50% of the tabs, then send these for professional refinishing for approximately $5000ish

Solid State likes this.
  7. wojteki

wojteki Rookie

Feb 1, 2016
    Jackson, NJ USA
    Full Name:
    Wojtek I.
    have you also tried IPA ? 98% concentration worked incredibly well for me on some f430 buttons. I was not patient, so i pulled the sticky buttons / switches and let them soak. Pulled them out clean with no rubbing at all :)

8. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Please post pics of your finished product. Thank you , Kirk.

9. JBOMD

JBOMD Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 6, 2020
    Full Name:
    JBOMD
    Has anybody tried Neutrogena Makeup removal wipes. There is a YouTube video about this in a Jaguar.

Joe

10. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Absolutely hate messing with trim pieces. Zero patience. Last one I did was a door panel on a Toyota and spot on broke 50% of the tabs being extra careful. The $5K part sounds almost as painful - almost.

11. colorfull

colorfull Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2020
    Franklin Park, New Jersey
    Full Name:
    John Napoli
    Doing the 'in-dash' switches in the CF dash
    Since the switches go in the holes, Ferrari put felt around the switches, I assume for a firmer fit

Apparently it bunches up and I am guessing will be difficult to reinstall properly

Anyone find something that works better than the felt?

Apparently once you push one end in, the other end bunches up

I also have a replacement one that has nothing so need to cushion it

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Install Tesa tape around the button to cushion it. I use that stuff at every contact point to quiet down interior rattles on all my cars.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZH5XOU6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bob in Texas, NYC Fred and colorfull like this.
  13. FE458IT

FE458IT Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2013
    Toronto
    Anyone else have success using this method? Before I pay 3k to have mine done.

14. colorfull

colorfull Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2020
    Franklin Park, New Jersey
    Full Name:
    John Napoli
  15. 05F430F1

05F430F1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2005
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida
    Full Name:
    Todd
    I did the ones in my F430 some years ago with a brown bottle degreaser (think it was something 33)- worked easily and perfectly. Whole steering column was sticky plus all the buttons… negative was that some buttons like the door lock ones on the door panel, it removed the white direction arrows and markings etc

16. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    We have all those replacement decals in stock, email us if your in need.

17. 05F430F1

05F430F1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2005
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Thanks but that car is gone now and hopefully I won’t have this issue on the F8- good information to know though, excellent.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

18. 56 Spider

56 Spider Rookie

Jul 25, 2010
    Yes, I used Neutrogena wipes successfully. Did a little at a time over a few days and was pleased how the goo lifted off. I started with the window switches and then seeing how well it worked moved to other switches. It didn't affect the symbols on the switches.

DefunctNeurons and up4speed like this.
  19. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Question… my 2019 488 rubber parts on the interior are starting to feel more sticky. They are not goo yet and nothing comes off when I touch them but definitely not the soft rubber velvet feeling like new.

Should I wait until all a gooy or does this process help stop them from becoming worse?

20. Mafiaboy1975

Mafiaboy1975 Formula Junior

Aug 10, 2019
    South Africa
    Full Name:
    Mick
    I have a 2013 spider and I occasionally clean them with water only or a PH neutral soapy cleaner and dust them every 6 months or so with a bit of baby powder to absorb any oils from touching through use.

None of my buttons have any signs of wear except the ok button on the menu controller which was a mechanic that used his finger nail to press it and it as a thin mark in it you can see in direct light now.

It’s not a cure and I’d say they are 95% vs new feel, it at least seems to slow the process. Since I started doing this a few years back I have noticed no further deterioration in the buttons.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

mdrums likes this.
  21. Mike Morrissey

Mike Morrissey Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2018
    Denver, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mike Morrissey
    #21 Mike Morrissey, Mar 4, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2023
  22. mdrums