Timing drive shaft damage | FerrariChat

Timing drive shaft damage

Discussion in '308/328' started by TommyA, Sep 30, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TommyA

TommyA Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2002
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tommy A
  2. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Yes. That is an easy fix . You tig weld on more metal on the damaged side then hand cut the woodruff keyway back into the shaft and of cousre file away the excess to match the diameter. It is easy to do with time and patience.

3. TommyA

TommyA Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2002
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tommy A
    Thank you!! I will give it a try and post the results. Can it be done on the housing or it has to be removed? Just changed the bearing and seal :(

4. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I think you need to take it off and hold it in your hand. It is a labor intensive hand skill thing and you need to be able to move it around in 3d space to make a nearly undetectable repair. If however, you are mr. golden hands maybe you can do it insitu. Some people just have freaky amazing skills.

5. TommyA

TommyA Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2002
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tommy A
  6. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    Would suggest a new gear

Rifledriver and Martin308GTB like this.
  7. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    If the teeth are good, a decent machine shop can spray-weld or tig weld and machine it for you (probably under $100.) A new one will cost over $500 unless you are lucky. Maranello parts have them new for £468.

8. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    Crikey they have gone up a bit I think I replaced both of the drive gears for less than £500

9. TommyA

TommyA Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2002
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tommy A
    I just took it to a machine shop and they said that they can fix it. I should have images of the repaired gear by the weekend. What a mess :(. Guys please have a look at the back side of the gear cover. Are the seals installed correctly? Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    Yes, That's correct for the year you have. Try to get the NTN 6203LLUA1C4 bearings as they were the best available a couple of years ago (viton seals, high temp grease C4 clearance.) This is a known weak link so use the best you can find. Give the bearing to the shop as it should be quite tight (and make sure it's machined concentric!)

11. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    Is the pulley ok looking at state of the shaft that may also need some attention?

12. TommyA

TommyA Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2002
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tommy A
    The pulley was not all that bad. I purchased the aluminum gear years ago so it doesn't really matter.

13. TommyA

TommyA Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2002
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tommy A
    What was in there was the SKF 6203-2RS1 bearing. Are you suggesting not to use the same type of bearing?

14. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    By the time you have welded this up and machined the keyway in it and machine the shaft concentric below the thread you might be cheaper getting the machine shop to make a new one. Its in such a state plus the heat of welding is not going to help to keep it straight.
    The cost of a new one is worth paying . I would not waste money trying to fix that

ferrariowner likes this.
  15. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I would replace if for nothing else than piece of mind. If it breaks, shears or fails, engine destruction will follow.

16. TommyA

TommyA Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2002
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tommy A
    Mike,
    A good friend owns the machine shop so I know that he will do the right thing. When I saw him this morning he sounded very confident and he wanted to give it a try. I'm very sure that if he things that it will be unsafe to use he will let me know. I went this far with this project so another $500 will not really kill me to get another gear. Let's see how it goes.

17. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    And if this fails the engine will sustain fairly serious damage. It's hard to imagine how this got so butchered.

Martin308GTB likes this.
  18. TommyA

TommyA Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2002
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tommy A
    I was shocked to see it in such condition. The previous owner repaired it and they used the same gear :(

19. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Replace it if available.

Rifledriver likes this.
  20. TommyA

TommyA Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2002
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tommy A
    Just made some calls to check the price. Anywhere from $800 to over $1,000 each!! They used to be $125 just a few years ago.

21. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    The one thing i would say if that the present damage shows that the woodruff key has been rocking side to side a lot- the danger is in what you cannot see.
    Just dont end up with the shaft shearing due to it being weak.
    I could fix it up so it looked new but i would not trust it.

22. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    If they haven't welded yet, get them to dye-check for any cracks at the bottom of the woodruff key slot. When properly tightened, the woodruff key is for location mostly since the friction between the pulley and the locked nut on one side and the inner race on the other holds it in place. I know several people who removed pins/keys on cam pulleys without an issue. I would be more worried about the fatigue right where the shaft comes out of the bearing race so this should be properly heat treated after welding (but not the gear teeth which are probably hardened.) Are your lower pulleys aluminium? Check them for wear in the slot.

The bearings should be 6203-2RS1/C4 and preferably with high temp grease and seals.

23. TommyA

TommyA Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2002
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tommy A
    The lower pulleys are brand new never fitted to the vehicle. I though that C4 bearings have more internal clearance. Won't that cause a premature failure?

24. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    These bearings run very hot so require the extra clearance (plus better grease, seals.) If your lower pulleys are aluminium, make sure they are 7075T6. The clamping force from that 17x1mm nut is 3824kg (8429lbs)

25. TommyA

TommyA Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2002
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tommy A
    The pulleys are part of the kit that Nicks is selling. I would assume that they are excellent quality. What clearance the stock bearings have? C1 or C2 ?