More 250 SWB replicas | FerrariChat

More 250 SWB replicas

Discussion in 'Recreations & Non-Period Rebodies' started by Marcel Massini, Oct 1, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sig. Roma

Sig. Roma Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2007
    Bella Italia
    Full Name:
    Dom T.
    Seems a lot of money for a replica. I wonder what chassis they used to produce the vehicle.

2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    3.5 ltr colombo engine?
    so a 290 GT SWB replica ;)
    learning new every day :(

3. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    Don't these also run the risk of being crushed if found/impounded by the Italian police?

Sent from my MAR-LX1M using Tapatalk

4. Athanase

Athanase Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2007
  5. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    DESCRIPTION

"GTO Engineering in Reading, England has restored and rebuilt some of the world's most
    significant Ferraris, including many of the 39 original 250 SWB cars Ferrari built in the 60's.
    Utilizing a 250 GT chassis, they authentically recreate the iconic 250 SWB cars in meticulous
    detail, using original Colombo V-12 engines and manual gearboxes. One of the most notable
    Scaglietti designs, a 250 SWB is on the short list of the world's most desirable and valuable
    automobiles.

This lovely example is like buying a brand new Ferrari, showing just under 1,400 miles from
    new. With impeccable fresh black paint surfaces, new red leather interior, and that amazingly
    light and powerful Columbo V-12 engine, there's no doubt that this stellar example will stand out
    in any collection."

The vendors need to read up on 250GT SWB history. Around 165 250 GT SWBs were made and although the body was built by Scaglietti, the design was by Pininfarina.

Nobody other than Ferrari themselves could make an authentic replica.

6. VinnieVintage

VinnieVintage Rookie

Oct 31, 2018
    "Nobody other than Ferrari themselves could make an authentic replica."

Why? If it's constructed in the best way possible and in a manner that accurately reflects the original car, why does the team doing the work matter?

VV

turbo-joe likes this.
  7. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    Furthermore, it's not authentic, but rather a mix of early and late features. Nevertheless, a sweet car, if somewhat pricey. Just my 2c.

readplays and NürScud like this.
  8. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
    It's just another destroyed 250 GT (2+2 ?). Why not restore a 250 GT 2+2 properly ? Why so many cut and converted in "looks like" SWBs or GTOs ? For the money ? If I had the choice between an authentic Ferrari 250 GT 2+2 Pininfarina and this thing my choice would be made quickly.

cloverleaf and readplays like this.
  9. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #10 miurasv, Oct 2, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
    You are confusing the word authentic with accurate. Being authentic would mean it is genuine and made by Ferrari. Anyone other than Ferrari can only claim to make an accurate replica of a SWB. Even if it was indistinguishable from an original, made by anyone else, it can never be authentic.

10. lgs

lgs Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2006
    From where do you have this terminology?
    From where do you have this terminology?

11. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Check any English dictionary.

12. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Bryanp and Marcel Massini like this.
  13. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    It isn't. It is a replica.

14. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
  15. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Sorry Andrew, I know very little about Porsche, but I'd still prefer an old 911 over the replica Ferrari.

john

tomgt likes this.
  16. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    If you'd read the description in the link you'd have seen that it is a Touring (M472) version and not a Lightweight or Sport (M471) version.

17. torquespeak

torquespeak Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Correct.

-Ed

18. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
  19. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Authentic replica is an oxymoron to me, no matter who made it, Ferrari or not. If it's authentic, it's not a replica, and if it's a replica, it's not authentic (authentic in the sense of authentic as the original car model of course).

lgs likes this.
  20. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Well, yes and no. I understand fully your point, and I agree, but you've actually shifted the focus of my scrutiny, from the word authentic, or "authentically", as used wrongly in the description of the car, to the word replica. In your scrutiny of my use of the word replica, it actually depends on how you define the word replica. Amongst other definitions, a replica is defined as a copy of something that is made by the original artist, and used in this context, it is correct.