Took My Scud and 599 GTO for a Back to Back drive | FerrariChat

Took My Scud and 599 GTO for a Back to Back drive

Discussion in '360/430' started by LARRYH, Oct 1, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    As I have mentioned I recently purchased my second SCUD So for the first time I decided to drive both the 599 GTO and Scud back to back on Sunday morning . I have a 50 mile drive I like to go on and have driven them many times but never back to back . So here goes. I drove the 599 GTO first and it truly barks to life when it starts and I keep the exhaust valve open and with both I tend to drive in a low enough gear to keep it sounding great . The car as always drives just great with magnificent sounds and far to much power (I kid ) I shift it manually and it is just a great driving front engine car lots of fun always confident at any speed I drive it .. IN short an exciting but non eventful drive..that could turn into a race car at any minute with just the push of the throttle. The car also turned 4000 miles during this drive..
    Now back to the garage tuck that car in and get in the Scud ..It barks to life and I open the valves (capristo switches).. I get out on the road and what a great car it is definitely a different car then the first one and is a blast without a doubt the best sounding V8 I have ever had the pleasure to drive it feels like it could rev at redline all day and go beyond if allowed . It is sure footed and very comfortable yet both cars cars can be shifted to top gear and valve off i could drive all day. Damn I love the feel excitement and drama of this car.
    So thoughts I like them both probably will keep them both love the F1 super fast transmission they both have and on these cars it feels better than a manual would to me. The cars are pictured in my avatar.

Oengus, rennspeed, Camelot and 12 others like this.
  2. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Life doesn't get much better than this:)

alum04org and LARRYH like this.
  3. 67bmer

67bmer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2015
    MD
    you must be on the wrong roads! I was home Sunday and did not see or hear either of these cars pass my house. PM me and I can provide some alternative routes...

Melvok, LARRYH and kes7u like this.
  4. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Thanks for sharing your experience!! What an amazing couple of cars!!

Does the GTO feel much larger/heavier than the scud when driving them back to back?

Enjoy in good health.
    Kevin

(P.S. Any chance of seeing pics of these 2 together?)

LARRYH likes this.
  5. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Should have taken videos and pictures ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LARRYH likes this.
  6. Sparty21

Sparty21 Rookie

Apr 21, 2018
    Naples
    Maa, I hope the OP is posting this as just a prelude. I am very interested in buying my first ferrari and a Scud is on top of my list, for now. I was all ears and while the description was good, i was just hoping for a lot more. OP, if you could further elaborate on both, please do as you have many ears wanting more! TIA.

7. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Agreed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. KJM3SMG

KJM3SMG Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2006
    Loudoun County, VA
    Full Name:
    Karl - KJ
    but u merely said both were awesome both shifted great both sounded great but no comparison... like weight, feel, etc. :D Can u contrast a bit? Anyway glad to hear the Scud is as fun as a GTO tho

LARRYH and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  9. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    Livin the good life!

LARRYH likes this.
  10. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    The GTO definitely feels different then the SCUD as it should it is a little larger but the real difference is the GTO drives like a front engine sports car It has a completely different feel then the Scud .. It definitely is faster in acceleration and performance
    I would guess they are maybe 300lb difference in weight and around 170 hp difference in power they both use the same
    transmission and I can feel that . Does it feel bigger yeah sure in my mind they are 2 different cars and drive that way
    I cannot say enough the sound of the GTO really is fantastic and makes everything feel exciting .
    I will try to post a couple of pictures together you can see a little in my avatar...

kes7u and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  11. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    As requested let me say a little more about the SCUD, I have always like these cars since they first came out . I think it drives very nimble just point it and it goes . I feel very comfortable and if I want to feel like I am in a race I can make it feel that way .. I always drive in Race mode as that mode allows me to select the softer suspension which is nice..for the street don't really know why .. . IF I want a nice casual drive I can select race mode and soft suspension and let it shift to top gear and I can cruise along for hours with complete comfort.. It does not have a cam belt so do not have to mess with that....It feels very confident and compact when driving...
    Occasionally I will drive it through a Tunnel or under pass in a high RPM gear and wow the sound is enough to make my day..

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  12. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Just talking about the gearboxes and shifting - can you compare?

13. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    The transmission on both is the superfast F1. and since I shift them manually mostly they are very similar .. if left in auto the shifts are precise and very fast..I prefer it from an excitement stand point to the new cars as I like the mechanical feel of them . Now around town in auto is not great in either of them they are more comfortable to me if shifted manual for around town driving..

14. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Thanks! From what I remember when I drove the Scuderia is that the shifting under hard acceleration was a much more pronounced thud and almost like a kick in the back compared to the GTO.

15. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    they both can give a very solid shift under hard throttle is the Scud more pronounced can't say that I have noticed that but I could see where it could being lighter and a very fast reving engine....

16. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    All I can think is...I wish I could have started this thread!

(Larry has had a bunch of great cars...I share his taste in those choices, just not his means! But appreciate when he - and others that do - share their experiences here.)

Natkingcolebasket69, kes7u and LARRYH like this.
  17. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Both have Superfast 2, which at 60 ms min shift time, is quite a bit faster than the 599's Superfast 1 at I00 ms.

LARRYH likes this.
  18. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    nice post!!!!

LARRYH likes this.
  19. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    can you remind me - what are shift times of 360, 360 CS, 430, scud, 458 (if you know them off top of ur head, otherwise just ignore this and ill go search later)

20. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    interesting so I had to check I know Terry will let me know if I am wrong but from what I can see
    the 360 and 430 was 150ms as was the 360CS, as Terry said the 599 was 100 ms and the Scud and the 599GTO are 60 ms
    The later 458 and beyond are apparently considered ZERO in that there is no interruption in power to the wheels due to the then new dual clutch trans....

21. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Im pretty sure 430 was faster than 360, cs might have been same as 430, scud faster than 430 and 458 faster than scud.

I think 612oto was same as 430.

22. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Ferrari only documented 150 ms for the 360, CS, and F430 like Larry said, but owners of later F430s swear they are faster. The number I have seen for the 458 is around 40 ms, but later DCTs from Ferrari are even quicker. On DCTs if you do not select the gear the system thinks you will want next, shifting can be quite a bit slower than F1,

LARRYH likes this.
  23. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    copied and pasted from a post terry made in 2013 juft FYI purposes:

F355: 250 ms
    360: 150 ms
    575M: 220 ms
    Challenge Stradale: 150 ms
    612: 180 ms
    575M HGTC: 180 ms
    F430: 150 ms
    612 HGTS/HGTC: ~160 ms
    599: 100 ms
    612 Sessanta/OTO: 100 ms
    612 OTO HGT2: ~80-85 ms
    Scuderia/16M: 60 ms
    599 HGTE: ~80-85 ms
    599 GTO: 60 ms

fwiw my regular 360 seemed materially slower than my CS and 430. I've driven late model 430s and didnt notice a difference in shift speed. its unlikely later 430 shift speeds were 599/612 OTO or it wld be easy to find out, i wld think. Also dont 360 owners often upgrade their TCU with one from a CS because of the improved speed?

LARRYH likes this.
  24. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    Nice information. just out of curiosity is there away to convert an older say 360 F1 such that it would have scud shift times.. I know I had extended access to a 430 several years back and to me the Scud/GTO transmission feels notably improved ...anyone that has not driven a SCUD should really try it before they buy something else if so inclined... the shifting is notably quick .

25. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #25 tazandjan, Oct 2, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
    The only mistakes in that list (6 years old) are for the 612. The 599 HGTE 85 ms was not implemented on the 612, so the Sessanta/OTO min shift speed stayed 100 ms with HGT2. Also, when the HGT2 package was introduced in 2007 well before the OTO, the TCU software was updated for all 612s and min shift time went to 125 ms.

There were software and hardware changes to get the Scud/16M to 60 ms compared to the F430, plus a change for the F430 family Motronic system from the 360's 7.3 to the F430 family's 7.1.1. So virtually impossible to update a 360 to Scud/16M capabilities.

Some shift speeds may have been faster than posted, or evolved to quicker times, but these are the numbers we have from official Ferrari sources.

F355: 250 ms
    360: 150 ms
    575M: 220 ms
    Challenge Stradale: 150 ms
    612: 180 ms
    575M HGTC: 180 ms
    F430: 150 ms
    612 HGTS/HGTC: ~160 ms
    599: 100 ms
    612: (All updated when HGT2 introduced) 125 ms
    612 Sessanta/OTO: 100 ms
    Scuderia/16M: 60 ms