458 vs 488 | Page 5 | FerrariChat

458 vs 488

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by f12luke, Jan 4, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    This. And as per my example with the ever so hideous Matrix, just because it says Pnini on the side, does it not mean the design is perfect or great. The F430 was Pinin as you say, that that is one mess of a minger. The 488 is criticised for its vents and buck teeth. But what about the retarded smile and the whiskers of the 458?

MANDALAY and Viperjoe like this.
  2. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    According to Luca di Montezemolo, Schumacher was in charge of the development of the F430 Scuderia and 458 Italia. Schumacher himself said he worked closely with the Ferrari engineers.

By their own words and admission:

Kind regards,

Nuno.

3. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    didnt watch the video but if that's true, then great. Great for the 458, and great for its successor the 488

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  4. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Funny sometimes it takes me a few moments to tell the difference between a 458 and 488.... and I own one, lol!

Sent from my 16M

5. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Yes, Schumacher, in helping with the the development of the Scud, was the one who implemented the “bumpy road” button to soften the suspension for drivers.
    I assume (although could be wrong) he played a role similar to Walter Röhrl‘s
    role with Porsche as a test driver and offering opinions in terms of drivability.

Sent from my 16M

mdrums and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  6. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    He also designed the steering wheel (F1 inspired).

7. wojteki

wojteki Rookie

Feb 1, 2016
    Jackson, NJ USA
    Full Name:
    Wojtek I.
    i never cared for the guppy mouth looking front end of the 458, and the lack of anything going on ( like missing intakes/vents ) on the sides left it a little tame looking for me super-car tastes. The rear end is beautiful however . 488 spices things up considerably all over, however I wish they kept the 3x pipe exhaust design element .. and the door handles on the 488 look like an odd afterthought. 458 is beautiful. 488 is hot.

Voy

Mighty Joe, Viperjoe, Melvok and 2 others like this.
  8. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    That’s what I’ve been saying all along: best thing is to have both.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

Mighty Joe, wojteki and TomC9786 like this.
  9. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    For beautiful one only needs a picture (or a model), for driving the 488 is my choice (well, before the F8) ;)

Mighty Joe and Anthony Capone like this.
  10. Derek Forehead

Sep 13, 2019
    London
    Full Name:
    Derek Forehead
    I would say that in 20 years the 458 will hold its looks and be something that people still see as a masterpiece. The 488 will have been an evolution who sat in the middle between the original and the F8. From the thread I can see they are both admired and I find its age relevant to who posts. My 20 year old son and his mates love the brash/ aggressiveness of the 488 and us old guys love the feminine lines of the 458

italiafan likes this.
  11. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Curious, you think this is a design mess?
    I think it is gorgeous.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. john Owen

john Owen Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2018
    Full Name:
    John Owen
  13. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Yep. Not a fan. But as has been said many times before, it's a personal preference. I don't like the front and I think the Enzo inspired rear end is all over the place. Not my cup of tea.

14. Ky1e

Ky1e Formula 3

Mar 4, 2011
    FL
    I have both and looks has little to do with their differences. To me they look extremely similar. It's the driving-- one is faster and more responsive but quiet, the other slower and not quite as good handling but sounds way better. It's turbo with stock exhaust vs NA with sport exhaust and open valves-- so it is to be expected. I prefer driving the 488 but like the sound of the 458 better. Going back to looks-- I think you guys are splitting hairs in that dept.

Ash Patel likes this.
  15. RobikaUSA

RobikaUSA Rookie

Mar 27, 2020
    Full Name:
    Rob B
    In my opinion, the 488 looks subtly better, with its more "developed", curvaceous design and halo lighting. But then again, some are into the look, while others just want the best performance (yours truly).
    From a future F8 owner,
    enjoy your new ride, whatever it is,
    Rob

16. Mighty Joe

Mighty Joe Formula 3

Sep 3, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I never thought the 488 was the evolution of the 458. F430 is an evo to the 360! Then 458 stands alone! Now the F8 is the evolution of the 488.... Just my .02. Having said all of that...The 488 is just a stunningly beautiful car!

17. Jason B

Jason B Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2006
    Hbg, PA
    Agree with most of what you said.

[​IMG]

18. 458LOVE

458LOVE Rookie

Jan 29, 2020
    Agreed on all lol