430 - Had an accident. Advice needed. | Page 5 | FerrariChat

430 Had an accident. Advice needed.

Discussion in '360/430' started by Eric C, Sep 16, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    My insurance company moved very fast at issuing me a check. Makes you think. 4 days from the day I filed a claim. Hmm.

2. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    That’s my point . I used to live in St Louis and have many attorney friends.....
    All they do is push knowing the laws. I think a phone call to an attorney to see what they think is free and worth the time. 355 would you hire an attorney again? Or just rollover ?

It’s a negotiation. Respectfully they never hold all the cards. You would have to insist that the other driver’s negligent bike creates an unpredictable risk. As in - of course I could brake for a hazard but a pile up is not
    Preventable as evidenced by all the other people who crashed as well ( if that is true ).
    If a DV claim is not possible consider pushing for totaling the car. Either way you will be in the book for premium increases due to fault.

Politely pushing is what gets it done. They want you to say yes and they want you to cash the check. Since you are in Missouri, ask the closest dealer who they use - Illinois I presume or Denver? And ask your insurance company to send the car to the dealer. Check your fine print about what you are entitled to .

I didn’t see where in Missouri you are located. You may want to consider options. Worst case you’ll be in the same spot you are now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Sure, talk is cheap, if you can find an attorney willing to discuss ones claim. My situation was different, I was NOT at fault. Also it is clear there no way to go after the other driver. Rear ending another car is cut and dried for "following too close". The only way it wouldn't is if it was a road rage incident and the guy brake checked you.

Whenever you talk to a claims adjuster, be careful what you say. They record most conversations, and if they don't, they immediately write a narrative of what was discussed as soon as they hang up. You should do the same.

ScottS likes this.
  4. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Eric...pm sent

5. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I'm going to have it fixed and keep enjoying the car.

6. rennspeed

rennspeed Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 4, 2007
    Full Name:
    Rennspeed
    That's cool Eric, you should send it to Braden so we can all follow the resurrection.

JoeTSI likes this.
  7. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Is it normal for a bodyshop to not let you bring them parts to be installed? I want to bring them a bumper, mirrors and headlight and they refuse because they want to make money off those parts.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  8. JoeTSI

JoeTSI Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2015
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Joe K.
    Unfortunately it is very normal. Much like the fact most garages won't install parts you bought to fix an issue. Part of it is liability with my example, but yours is simple money making. They can charge insurance full price for the part, whereas you bringing the part impacts their margin. Body shops are in the business of making money, not solely fixing cars.

9. calder1

calder1 F1 Rookie
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 26, 2006
    Redondo Beach
    Full Name:
    Craig
    sent you a PM

10. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    I think it depends on the situation. If insurance is paying the body shop then it’s highly unlikely they will accept your parts, due to in many cases being required to use approved parts for repairs to bring the value as close to pre accident as possible.

If you were paying out of pocket and negotiated repair fees using your parts there are body shops that will do it. Still will cost more, likely to cover part markups, but be less then using shop sourced parts. Again there may be many shops that refuse since they didn’t get the parts.

Probably best to let the shop repair the car, assuming it’s a good shop that has repaired exotics previously with a good reputation. I don’t think I’d let someone that hasn’t worked on an exotic before do the repairs.

11. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I've already cashed the check. I'll be paying the body shop directly. I've brought shops parts in the past and no questions were asked. I asked them to buy the headlight from Ricambi because it's $500 cheaper and they refused.

12. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    Unfortunately your in an area that likely doesn’t have many shops that will work on exotic cars. You might be stuck. Maybe see what shops are around that work on exotics and negotiate from there. Maybe someplace near Kansas City might be a better option.

13. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    Eric sorry to learn of your accident it sounds like you have a body shop to repair the car so best of luck ... I know of a great body shop in Pennsylvania that does a lot of Ferraris and is a Ferrari authorized shop .. if by chance you are not happy with your guy...

14. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    I'd try a different shop.

Robb

15. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I was thinking the same. It may be worth the time and money to actually ship the car somewhere better.

Kevin

16. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    It's the best bodyshop in St.Louis. They work on all the local exotics. I'm hoping it's just a misunderstanding through email. I'm going up there tomorrow to try and work something out. Good publicity for them regardless as my car is pretty well known in the area.

17. calder1

calder1 F1 Rookie
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 26, 2006
    Redondo Beach
    Full Name:
    Craig
    If you have an issue give me a call as I have an idea

Eric C and Robb like this.
  18. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    I have always liked Craig’s ideas......

:D

Robb

19. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I know in my state if used parts are installed they have to have the vin from the vehicle they came from to assure that they are not stolen. But I don't understand why they would not buy the new parts from someplace like Ricambi. It's your car. You should be able to decide how it's fixed. I agree with Robb, look for a different shop.

20. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I went down this morning and spoke with them. It was a misunderstanding and of course, I looked like a jerk. Ugh.

Anyhow, we're going forward with the repair. Just need to wait on some updated parts to arrive.

E60 M5, rennspeed, JoeTSI and 2 others like this.
  21. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Yep. I've done that many times myself. Go crazy based on inappropriate or inadequate information. Very embarrassing. I always tell myself I'll never do that again, and yet it happens again.....

Good luck with your car! Please keep us updated on the repair.

Kevin

E60 M5 likes this.
  22. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
  23. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Just waiting on parts. Scud Bumper, Wing etc etc........ just going to make this thing obnoxious and have a little fun with it. Will send it to Atlanta for a wrap when it's all finished.

Flea7, JoeTSI and kes7u like this.
  24. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Got the same potential issue looming. I damaged something on my FF hitting a curb after avoiding a deer. No damage but 2 wheels need replacement and ceramic brake cracked.
    For some of the parts I’m going them ordering from the factory but for some I told them I’d bring spares I have or order. It’s kinda ridiculous how much f dealer make off of parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk