My 1977 308GTB (21833). Who Was The Original Dealer? | FerrariChat

My 1977 308GTB (21833). Who Was The Original Dealer?

Discussion in '308/328' started by Jerome M., Sep 30, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jerome M.

Jerome M. Rookie

Sep 30, 2019
    Full Name:
    Jerome Middione
    My car was assembled in June, 1977. I purchased the car in late 1980 from the Michigan Ferrari dealer at the time and have owned the car for 39 years now. I am interested in knowing who the original dealer was and who the original owner might have been (1977 - 1980).

Years ago I discovered 2 Triborough Bridge tokens (New York City) inside the car. According to the internet these tokens/coins were only valid from 1975 to 1980. Did the car spend its first 3 years in the NYC area? Chinetti was only 30 miles away on Putnam Ave, Greenwich, CT in 1977. Was Chinetti the original dealer for my 21833? Can anyone help me solve this long time mystery?

2. woody byrd

woody byrd Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2006
    cary, nc
    Full Name:
    woody byrd

You could try calling Steve Barney, at Sport Auto, Summerfield, NC. 336-643-9595 I bought my first Ferrari 308 in 1979 from him. He might know, plus he is a he is one hell of a nice guy and Expert on Ferrari.
    Woody Byrd

3. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    Good luck on your search.

I spent some time several years ago trying unsuccessfully to track down my 78’s paperwork. I don’t know where the Chinetti records for that time ended up. I was given a few names but none were able to help me.

Chinetti kept a showroom in NY after he had moved to Greenwich but I don’t know for how long but it is possible the car was there. He also had a property in Port Chester.

Also in 1977 if your car came into the US via the east coast it will have been imported by Chinetti Garthwaite Importers in Paoli, PA, now Algar. FNA did not take over the importation of cars until 1978. In a perfect world Algar would still have all the importation records but apparently they have been lost.

Regards
    David

4. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I hired a lawyer who specializes in this type of thing but he was only able to go so far as the DMV did not keep the records from that far back. I can give you his info if you like.
    My car was #21039, I did get a lot more information on the car than I started with!

5. Jerome M.

Jerome M. Rookie

Sep 30, 2019
    Full Name:
    Jerome Middione
    Woody, David, and George. Thank you all. I will update you very soon with what I have found concerning my 1977 308GTB.

Jerry M.