B17 crashes in Connecticut | FerrariChat

B17 crashes in Connecticut

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by GuyIncognito, Oct 2, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    The vertical tail was visible on the NBC footage, but the intensity of the fire in the earlier video does not look good.

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Chas- Glad it looks like everyone survived. That 110/130 avgas really burns hot. Not sure if they were planning on carrying passengers after arrival, so glad none were on board.

3. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Unfortunately it looks like early reports are incorrect, and at least two have perished.

4. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
  5. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Bummer, I have some stick time in that aircraft.

I recall that when they gave rides there were no 'seats' and restraints for the passengers. During TO&L I was just sitting in the radio compartment leaning against a bulkhead. This was 25 yrs ago though.

technom3 likes this.
  6. luvair

luvair Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    Collings foundation runs a very professional operation with extremely qualified pilots and personnel. Interacted with them many times, they get top marks from me.

Very sad for them, they are like a brotherhood with the way they all work together. We all feel a tragic loss like this deeply.

BJK likes this.
  7. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    So sorry for the loss of life, the most important thing here. Anyone know how few of these are still flying? I am sure it can be counted on one hand?

8. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
  9. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  10. Ferrari27

Ferrari27 Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2010
    More than one hand, but less than two I think, with a few more being restored to fly.

A tragic day.

11. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

No, actually... there are 9 or 10 that are flyable... one less today.

12. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    RIP for the ones who died and fast recovery for those who were injured.

Interesting history on the plane. It was one of the last one's made and did not see war action. The original 909 was scrapped and this one took it's place as a tribute with all the correct markings. It crashed on landing once before when it went long on a runway and down a raven tearing off the gun turrets and landing gear.

Since then it has made it to over 2000 shows which is an incredible history. It is a very sad day when something like this happens.

13. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Too bad it turned out so much worse than early reports. Loss of life and loss of aircraft are both tragic.

technom3 likes this.
  14. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    So sad.

The B-17 is my favorite object on this planet. I know thats a weird statement. But... it is.

SO sad to see one go down.

So sad that so many perished. Its just gut wrenching. I have always wanted to do one of those flights and it just never worked. It could have been me and my daughters on that plane. So sad to see such a great experience end in tragedy.

I also fear what this means for war birds in general.

I rented out the commerative air force museum here in arizona and spoke with all of the guys and they were saying that eventually they think the FAA will shut them down. He said... if any one of these tour flights goes down and a civilian dies or gets injured that will be the end of it.

Im afraid he might be right.

Eric_H and Ryan S. like this.
  15. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I think that tour flights may be in trouble but I don't think there will be any effect on airshow performances not affecting civilians.

16. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I listed to the tower communications and it sounded like they reported a problem with #4 and requested an immediate return. They were given landing clearance, with all other aircraft to hold, and the response to that seemed normal. That was the last communication before the crash.

17. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    Sad news.
    My father had a flight on this Fort about 10 years ago, and earlier this year a friend from Germany did as well.
    Aluminum Overcast, the one I rode in, is now even rarer.
    Pretty crazy that these nearly 80 year machines are still taking passengers up, but as said above those days may be over. :(

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login

NürScud likes this.
  18. rockminster

rockminster Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    I flew on a Collings B17 in 2006 with my wife and kids who were ages 6 and 4 at the time. It was an incredible experience, even the smell on board the aircraft was memorable. It was sobering at the time to think about the danger that plane took its crew into and out of.

Moving around the catwalks while in flight, into the glass bombardier nose, and standing in the open turret on the top of the fuselage are memories I won’t forget.

I’m very sad for the loss of life today. Peace to all the family and friends of those affected.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    This is absolutely terrible news. Very sad for all the deaths and injuries and the families involved. What a devastating event for something that always provided the happiest moments of the lives that took flights on her all previous trips. I still can't believe this happened, just horrible. My dream has always been to go for a ride in a B17.

20. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    At this point 7 dead, the other 6 in the plane injured plus 3 on the ground injured......

21. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    That's great that you could do that. I got a bit of stick time in several B-17's in 1945 when I was a 19 year old wannabe. We saw quite a few bad incidents and accidents, some with two engines out on one side. The 9O9 incident sounds like the lack of altitude was critical. I feel bad about the whole thing, especially when there were so many people on board. Not good.

22. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    How do you lose control of a 4 engine airplane when you only lose one engine?