The Red War: Leclerc vs. Vettel | Page 3 | FerrariChat

The Red War: Leclerc vs. Vettel

Discussion in 'F1' started by Phil~, Sep 30, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    What?

2. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Do you think Seb got in front entirely on his own?

3. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    Yes. Blazing start, proper drafting. He did everything he had to do.

lorenzobandini, stavura and Jakuzzi like this.
  4. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I do believe it was Lec's tow that allowed Seb to jump 2 spaces. That said, I will be a liar if I say I have hard data to prove it. The way I see it is the team agreed to have Lec tow Seb and then have Seb let him by so they can have 1-2. Seb decided to force SF to make the swap during pit stops instead. Some argue this is smart racing, it seemed to be not the case with SF race managers and Leclrec. Please do not be personally offended if I side with Binotto's FIVE calls early in the race that was ignored by Vettel.

I do agree also that Leclrec should be more 'diplomatic' in his comments over the air. But part of me relishes how hungry he is. Something I just don't see with Vettel anymore, more like frustration.

5. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    +1 Yep

paulchua likes this.
  6. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Vettel's fast start was a gift from Charles. Nothing to do with Seb's own merit just like his Singapore where he was gifted the victory by Ferrari's bumbling pit wall strategy.

If they were racing wheel-to-wheel and had no pre-race team orders, no way would Charles allow Seb past him with putting up some defense. He'd be an incompetent fool to do so.

jcurry and daytona355 like this.
  7. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    Seems obvious to me, that based on qualifying and points standings Leclerc is undeniably the faster driver of the 2. Vettel recent success seems more like opportunism (theft) at leclercs expense.
    In Sochi, seb gambled with the teams money and lost, squandering leclercs hard earned qualifying.
    If you want to defend his actions, go ahead...but the results speak for themselves. Without leclerc this year, Ferrari would be another McLaren.
    To be blunt, Vettel is acting like an ass all this year.

lagunacc likes this.
  8. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    Remember, pole position means you are in front at the start. Should Seb be forced to go around Charles, provide a tow for him, so Charles can once again go out in front? This is a strategic aspect of grid position and the result of qualifying. You can get on pole, or you can get the benefit of a tow at the start. You can't have both. This is not to say say Seb didn't renege on team orders at that point but Charles should have been closer to make a good swap. Why wasn't he closer? Yes Seb has made a bunch of mistakes over the past few years but no one drives independent of the car. Charles may well end up as driver 1, but he needs to show he can handle the more strategic aspect of racing, AND tactical finesse. Seb made a terrific start. Races can be won or lost there. That's the razor edge of this sport. Elton had a bunch of horrible starts. Don't write off Seb yet. Give him a chance to race with the new upgrades. Charles may sound immature whining on the radio or be lightning fast in qualifying, but he needs to work on other aspects of racecraft to prove he is driver 1. Remember when Senna complained about the grid change at Suzuka while at McLaren and the battling with Prost and Balestre? Did that make him an ****** for arguing that? It was clear "French" bias and was changing the rules when "politically" convenient.

9. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Vettel just cannot help himself, if not spinning out at random times or intentionally driving into another car,now he comes up with the Multi 21 stuff again.

Ferrari have the fastest car now, but somehow Vettel will almost always manage to screw it up.

10. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Ferrari need to back the driver who has more points and that is Charles, not Seb. Its really as simple as that.

Frankly Charles has had a far more impressive season than Seb and as such why must be play number 2?

11. Anthony_Ferrari

Anthony_Ferrari Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Sheffield, UK
    Full Name:
    Anthony Currie
    Charlie Clark has been doing a better job than Vettel this year. In fact Vettel has not been an impressive driver since his Red Bull days with Webber as a team-mate. He got beaten by Ricciardo and then moved to Ferrari where he has struggled.
    This reminds me of the Pironi/Villeneuve battle. Vettel agreed to a plan and then reneged on it. Charlie will beat Vettel in qualifying again in the future, but he will not accept any team orders - and why should he?

I hope the rumours of Ricciardo replacing Vettel at Ferrari are true. I fear that by winning and leading a race Vettel will now decide to stick around.

12. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Actually Vettel's reasoning was very simple: he was too far ahead and Lewis too close to Leclerc already. And he said to do the swap later on...(at pitstop)

13. lagunacc

lagunacc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 24, 2013
  14. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    I just hope this doesn't end like the "red wedding" because we already had one of those!