Power mods For 308GT4 | FerrariChat

Power mods For 308GT4

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Ciao55, Oct 2, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ciao55

Ciao55 Karting

Mar 2, 2019
    Full Name:
    Daniel D
    I'm interested in getting a 308GT4 and was wondering if anyone has knowledge of some good performance mods for the street. I'm guessing cams, manifold etc.
    Thanks in advance.

2. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    If you are willing to invest, anything is possible..

3. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    The GT4 is an amazing performer. For 1975 with points and carbs, it's awesome pure motoring! It doesn't need much IMHO. Great torque and rev's forever. One observation I'll share which gave a notable acceleration improvement is weight reduction. I know it's already the lightest of the 308's, but removing weight really helps. Soon after buying mine ~ 33+ years ago, I prepp'd it for paint and removed all interior bits, bumpers & trim etc. When I drove it to the paint shop with the bare minimum to put it on the road, the acceleration was fantastic. Point is, lots of performance by taking away, not adding. Other than that, just tune the motor carefully. If it's a 1975, it already has the 260/254 cams with 9mm lift (There are more aggressive grinds like the "Dino, and P6, but there's a trade-off). The distrib's have the Ferrari proven recipe for advance. Carb's deliver what's needed. Stock, it has excellent well tuned headers with long primaries for great lo-end torque. I would just suggest to tune to the workshop manual as best you possibly can. Good luck on your hunt!

Ciao55 and 19633500GT like this.
  4. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    f355spider likes this.
  5. dell550

dell550 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2005
    London
    Full Name:
    george c
    Try David Wedge at DTMpower.com - He has been responsible for building my 308GT4 race engine for the last 30 years and he can extract in excess of 400BHP from a 3.0 liter 2 valve engine on carbs . Tell him i referred you if you talk to him .

Ciao55 likes this.
  6. Andy 355

Andy 355 Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2013
    Sydney
    Wow. Very special man indeed. Thats more power per litre than a new 458 speciale.. and that makes a new gt3rs look lethargic... either that or hes forgotten to carry the 1.

7. Nino1964

Nino1964 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2015
    North Georgia
    I own a GT4 and I was considering an engine mod to 3.5 liter. The extra horse power numbers just did not impress me for the money I was going to spend and my engine is in good shape. I also think that some shops might be using cranks of fair quality. One expert told me that you can nt get crazy hp numbers from 4 weber DCNFs and 3.5 liters.

8. francisn

francisn Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Berks, UK
    Full Name:
    francis newman
    But bear in mind that is racecar tuning. Fine if that's what you want but not ideal for general road use. As it happens, David Wedge rebuilt the engine in my car way back in 1999. As far as I know original cams but with high compression Omega pistons. Still gives (when on a rolling road dyno 5 years ago aged 35 years) 237 bhp at the wheels which is still pretty impressive.