is a 456M even fire ? | FerrariChat

is a 456M even fire ?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by 63250meade, Oct 2, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 63250meade

63250meade Rookie

Jun 27, 2019
    Full Name:
    Alex Lawrence
    Hi all, is a 456m even or odd fire?

2. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
  3. 63250meade

63250meade Rookie

Jun 27, 2019
    Full Name:
    Alex Lawrence
    Hi, the thread does not say odd or even ? How am I to determine it ? is it the last number in the firing order?

4. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
  5. 63250meade

63250meade Rookie

Jun 27, 2019
    Full Name:
    Alex Lawrence
    Again the link you posted does not answer the question.

6. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    It actually did.

Here you go though. The cylinder numbering is irrelevant to your question. My first response had the answer. Even/odd is all about phase.
    EVEN
    An even fire V12 has 60 degree (or 120 or 180 degrees) spacing between the cylinder banks and a firing impulse every 60 degrees (720/12). Following Formula 1 practice where they opened up the spacing on the V6s and V12s to 65 degrees to improve room for induction, Ferrari introduced the same 65-degree spacing in the Dino 206/246 GT and the 456. These engines are odd firing. The Daytonas and Boxers/Testarossas were even firing with 60 deg and 180-degree cylinder bank angles respectively.

Cigarzman, Jon Von Bon and Jaguar36 like this.
  7. 63250meade

63250meade Rookie

Jun 27, 2019
    Full Name:
    Alex Lawrence
    So you are saying all 65 Degree engines are odd fire including the 456m?

8. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    No, I am saying that the 456M 65Degree V-12 has an 'odd" firing order.

Sorry if my posts aren't answering your question, but I think you need to brush up on the terminology. The Wiki link filled in a lot of blanks.

Cylinder count, the block angle, and the crank determine phase.

What are you really asking about 456Ms??? I am a former owner of a 2000 456M.

Cigarzman likes this.
  9. 63250meade

63250meade Rookie

Jun 27, 2019
    Full Name:
    Alex Lawrence
    Why are you trolling me? I am having an ecu made and need to know if a 456m is odd or even fire.

10. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    Good luck with that. My posts have repeatedly let you know the 456M firing order is "odd".

11. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Trolling? You must have very thin skin if you are saying @BOKE is trolling. He's already provided you 3 links to help. I think the proper response when somebody has done that is to thank them.

JL350, RSQP, Cigarzman and 6 others like this.
  12. scowman

scowman Formula 3

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    LOL

No good deed goes unpunished.

13. 63250meade

63250meade Rookie

Jun 27, 2019
    Full Name:
    Alex Lawrence
    #13 63250meade, Oct 3, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
    Well, I didn't trust the resident "expert" / Troll or his fans, go figure he was wrong, per Ferrari of Beverly Hills the 456M is a EVEN fire 65 degree engine.

14. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #14 paulchua, Oct 3, 2019
    So two things going on here.

1) Odd or Even?
    I personally don't know if its even or odd. @BOKE (whether right or wrong) responded with what he thought. That said, given your latest information, I still am not confident what the firing order mode is. I get wrong information all the time here. It's my responsibility to take due diligence to confirm.

2) Trolling
    Trolling implies he responded in bad faith. If you believe @BOKE purposely mislead to grief you (not to mention others reading this) I can't change that.

If we find later it is odd, does that I mean I should call you a troll?

~~~

By the way, I was in your exact position in a Maserati forum here, I asked a question, and somebody's response was wrong. I didn't call them a troll, I just updated the thread with my findings.

BOKE likes this.
  15. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    Hey Paul,
    Look at post #6 EVEN:D

The even/odd question is an old story from two-cylinder bikes to cars from the past with a lot more cylinders in straight or V-configurations.

In two-cylinder bikes and straight-six car engines, this is often discussed.

Without writing a dissertation on four-stroke cycle engines it takes two spins of the crank to take care of all cylinders. If the all are in the same phase relationship the engine is considered EVEN, if not it is considered ODD.

The angle of the V is irrelevant. Ferrari opened up the angle to 65 degrees to make room for bigger heads and induction.

When I saw this question all that came to mind was that it was right up @Rifledriver Brian's alley. Too bad he gave up answering questions here. This stuff is from the hot rod days. lol

I am still trying to figure out what the odd/even firing thing has to do with having an ECU made. Glad FoBH had all the answers.

Best of luck to the OP.:rolleyes:

paulchua likes this.
  16. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    In all fairness, I think your post #8 says 'odd.' That said, I never once took your responses as malicious or intending to harass the OP. That's really the root of why this thread went off the rails.

BOKE likes this.
  17. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Okay re-reading this thread the root I believe is @BOKE use of he word odd (in quotes or none) - I believe at times he implied a non-standard firing order, and other times literally odd. I think this double entendre is what caused the OP to think @BOKE was 'trolling.' It's all silly in the end. Let's all reset and wipe the slate clean.

@63250meade & @BOKE let us move forward as gentlemen and consider this a awkward misalignment of intentions. No harm no foul.

In an effort to get this back on track, does anybody else want to chime in if the 456M is odd or even?

Thank you.

BOKE likes this.
  18. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    My only faux pas on this thread was replying.

The following isn't aimed at the OP, just my feelings in general.

Questions are often asked on FChat by people that don't understand the questions, let alone the answers. I try to answer questions and teach a little by providing pertinent information.

I will give up on both of those futile efforts going forward.

I have had great gearhead mentors in my life going back to Chuck Stoddard when I was a kid. No one handed out pat answers, you had to get your learn on as you went. The same goes for bikes. My mentor was Mike Parti. I wish Mike was still alive to address ODD/EVEN in two and four-cylinder bike engines. lol

EVEN though I replied with the correct answer, the OP replied with a post confirming he didn't know WTF he has asked. Do you find that ODD???;)

No apologies or keeping score is necessary. The bigger question is if the 456M is...........

Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. 63250meade

63250meade Rookie

Jun 27, 2019
    Full Name:
    Alex Lawrence
    I think it's sad that an adult can't admit they were wrong,to quote that adult, "good luck with that".

20. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #20 paulchua, Oct 3, 2019
    I tried being diplomatic here and be gentlemanly.

Yet, you push and ignore my attempt at civility, let me set the record straight.

You are ZERO for TWO

@BOKE clearly said EVEN (no quotes, keep that in mind) HERE (he even bolded it for extra emphasis!)

You ask him to clarify if he implies odd?

@BOKE says NEGATORY and puts the word "odd" in QUOTES.

No worries, I didn't pickup the double entendre the first time either.

But then you accuse him of TROLLING, I don't know by intention or not, but I wouldn't be surprised he at this point made it intentionally ambiguous (yet still added quotes) with his parting reply.

You are very much on thin ice right now.

Thread locked. Next time you come here asking a question, maybe you should remember who's the one asking for help.

21. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    There are a number of ways answers are given to queries on this forum. Some see it as an opportunity to make a joke, tell of a personal experience, or critique the question because they find it poorly formed or based on misinformation; others answer the question directly; and finally some seek to educate the questioner, applying the "give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime" philosophy, if they feel the circumstances warrant it.

The latter does require the recipient to put a little sweat equity in to arrive at the answer. But no one is entitled to any specific form of answer they desire; and to receive a different form than expected is not "trolling" per se.

RSQP, BOKE, paulchua and 1 other person like this.
  22. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    energy88 and BOKE like this.
  23. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    @63250meade I would love to learn more about the 456 motor being inserted into a 1963 Ferrari you are working on. Which model is this retrofit occuring in? I hope you don't take offense by this "keyboard commando weirdo" asking you a straight question.

BOKE likes this.
  24. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
  25. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002