F8 - F8 vs 488 GTB | FerrariChat

F8 F8 vs 488 GTB

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by RichardCH, Oct 2, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    Now as a long term 430 spider and Scuderia owner, I considered very seriously buying a 488, love the design it but sounds TERRIBLE even with a Capristo so I bought a Gt3 RS instead. Now the F8 with the hot pipe apparently sounds a completely different and a massively more attractive proposition, the car has rave reviews from the media, how many of you with a 488 have driven a F8 and what are your opinions please ?

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Pretty sure no civilian has driven the F8 yet - however I believe there are some customer drives in Italy in the next week or two

3. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    F8 is the same price as the 488, so 488 values which have held up well are about to turn into Mclarens no ?

4. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I was test driving 488s when I was offered an F8 allocation. I liked the F8 that much more to spend the additional $$. That being said, the 488 market is saturated in the US and great deals can be had. As always, opinions will vary....:)

5. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    F8 sounds worse than 488.

MWireless and boobernackle like this.
  6. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Pretty good review here:

DefunctNeurons likes this.
  7. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    What? The delta between a gently used low mileage 488 and a new F8 may even be $100K USD.

Gh21631 likes this.
  8. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    Subjective styling aside I personally find the cars to be nearly identical. F8 will be marginally faster and more powerful, but notably with GPF FWIW

Don't see the same delta as 360->430 or 458->488

9. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    The F8 - based on hearing it in videos at least - appears to suffer from the same poor exhaust note as the 488. I would imagine the GPF isn't helping matters either, although it's unclear if the sample cars being used in video reviews right now are equipped with the GPF or not. I would assume they probably are not, so that makes me wonder if customer cars delivered in model year 2020+ (MY2020) will actually sound worse than what we are hearing in all the videos.

For me, personally, when you have to redirect engine noise into the cabin via a tube, I think you have a serious problem on your hands. True, the Lexus LFA does this, but in that case I don't think it's any attempt to overcome a lack lusters exhaust note or engine noise. Clearly, the motor in the LFA is one of the best sounding motors ever created.

I think some company out there is going to come along with an ECU modification and straight pipes for the 488 and F8 and make a lot of money in the process. These cars should have the potential to sound far better than they do.

I'm sort of curious how the car's ECU determines if the GPF is installed and/or if it's doing its job. Maybe someone with more knowledge in that area can comment. I know it goes through some sort of purging process, but outside of that, how does the car know if the particles are being filtered or not?

Ray

10. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    In the recent movie The Art of Racing in the Rain at the SF factory track it looked to me like an F8 was being put through the wringer. What a car. Really.

GT2goneF likes this.
  11. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    The Pista engine has been specifically reworked for the GPF (that's been extensively described in an article of the Ferrari magazine), and actually it's the main significant difference between the F8 and the Pista.
    So I doubt they produced any F8 without GPF.

Caeruleus11 and RayJohns like this.
  12. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Identical means exactly the same.
    Styling- the front and rear of the F8 is completely redesigned and looks totally different than the 488.
    Interior- noticeable differentiation between the 2 cars.

Engine- F8 is significantly upgraded with titanium connecting rods, inconel exhaust, etc which lowers weight and increases power to 710 hp.

Aero Dynamics- S Duct in front, more aero lower bumpers, rocker panels, spoiler and rear. As well as exhausts more direct.

Electronics- F8 has them reconfigured which alters the driving dynamics of the car relative to the 488.

The F8 represents a tangible upgrade from the 488 on virtually every level.

Viperjoe, GT2goneF, Gh21631 and 10 others like this.
  13. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    If the 488 is your cup of tea, the F8 should make you giddy. Outside of possibly the sound, ( which hardly represents one of the 488's glowing accomplishments) there is nothing about the 488 that is superior to the F8.

The evolution of the 458- 488, was initially greeted with mixed enthusiasm which , if anything , has grown over time to heightened negativity directed to the 488.

MANDALAY and RayJohns like this.
  14. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    You might have a point there. I haven't read anything regarding the F8 specifically, nor have I seen the latest copy of the Ferrari magazine show up. Since selling my 488, I've probably been taking off the mailing list.

But, like you say, if Ferrari has already incorporated the GPF into the mix, then it's rather unlikely that there are any F8's floating around without it.

Ray

15. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
  16. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    Not sure it sounds like a Honda....but whatever it sounds like, it certainly does not sound like a ferrari (to me) I am biased, but my F430 sounds so much better

17. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    * Honda with an exhaust system.

Ray

18. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    What matters is how it sounds from the inside, not to mention that videos don't do cars justice in general. The reviewers are adamant that it sounds better than the 488.

Hunter911, MANDALAY and Coincid like this.
  19. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    missing all the high notes for sure, which is what we all love

20. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    "We reveled in the F8's throaty exhaust note. Though the sound still can't compare to the shrieking wail of the F355, it's certainly more sonorous than the 488 GTB and the added oomph is readily apparent"- Automobile- Sept.17/19

21. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    #22 Coincid, Oct 6, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
  22. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    "That's because, after the sensibility of the 488- a great car that made complete sense, but didn't tug at the heartstrings quite as much as a Ferrari should . It ( F8) may be based on the same chassis and its engine a kissing cousin to the 488's, but it's louder, lighter and more insouciant enough that it feels (almost) like the return of the 458. - and all the difference in feel is due to tuning changes in the suspension, steering and electronic differential. Torque vectoring at the rear , as we all know, has an enormous effect on steering precision at the front, which is why Ferrari engineers credit the e-diff with the greatest improvement. Whatever the case, if the upgrade - which again, is substantial- is all tuning and finesse, where was this calibration engineer four years ago when the 488 was tamed into a benign McLaren... The engine behind is no less dramatic. What had been subdued is now overtly ferocious. Where the 488's tone was an F flat, the F8 is an E major.Where other turbocharged V8s seemed tamed- I'm looking at you McLaren- Ferrari's V8 is all flat-crank, almost -as-vibrant-as-the-458 soul stirring." - driving .ca - Sept.13/19

Caeruleus11 and MANDALAY like this.
  23. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I'm curious to experience the difference with the 488 - I do not have much reservations about the 488 regarding steering precision (although I did hope for the Pista to introduce the rear wheel steering, since I had been impressed by its results on other cars).
    Apart from that, I do not really care about the noise of a V8.

24. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    These latest F8 reviews are of keen interest to me as they not only enunciate the stellar objective capabilities of the car but also focus on the elevated thrills and engaging subjective driving and performing character of it. The reviews take on greater relevancy for me since the comparisons of the F8 to the 488 and McLaren are precisely aligned to mine. Starting to get excited about finally getting the F8.

Caeruleus11, REALZEUS and MANDALAY like this.