328 windshield replacement | FerrariChat

328 windshield replacement

Discussion in '308/328' started by ducowti, Sep 30, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ducowti

ducowti Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2008
    NY/SC
    Full Name:
    David
    Looking for someone knowledgeable/experienced in replacing the glass on a 328. Caught a rock chip in my 86 Euro glass. Specifically trying to determine if there's an actual difference in curvature/fit between the standard and curved glass.

Have sourced replacements (yes, two) through a parts supplier to remain unnamed at this point pending their ultimate handling of the problem; we've discovered, after two of the 'standard' curved glasses specified by the vendor haven't fit properly, there's an "extra curved" windshield (with the same part # as the 'standard' curve, but with "extra curve" at the end). This extra curved glass is about $1,000 more than the standard glass, so about $3k to 2k, respectively.

Thanks.

2. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I just went through this about three years ago. I had a small crack on my windshield, took my car to the dealership and to make a long story short, it took six windshield and nine months as none of the six glass fit, yes the curvature are definitely wrong. I ordered different brand like two Pilkington who is now formerly own SIGLA who was the original windshield manufacturer for the 308/338, URO Glass by Nord glass, one from Poland, one from Maranello concessionary and one more I forgot where it came from, and none of these glass fit. Then finally after eight months the dealership gave up and told me they ran out of source where to find or buy windshield for my car and they’re just going to refund my money and it’s up to me to find my own windshield, so after I got my money back I went ahead and search for the seventh windshield and after a week i found one at GT car Parts made by PGI Glass made from Australia, So I went ahead and ordered it and long and behold it fit and so I had them installed it as soon as it was delivered and got my car back home after nine months.

hopefully you will not have such a bad luck like me and find a windshield first try and done with it. I was told the reason why some of this windshield doesn’t work is because our car are handmade and not all 308/328 are the same.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    dinoart and Rosey like this.
  4. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    Crikey that's a way off!

5. ducowti

ducowti Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2008
    NY/SC
    Full Name:
    David
    Appreciate the elaborate reply Mike. That's how poor the fit was on the two we've tried. My glass guy is dealing directly with the glass manufacturer re: measuring for the 'extra curve' spec, will update with more when available. Ridiculous that the parts vendor is, by their own concession, aware of ill-fitment yet didn't volunteer that potential issue. Almost like they hope the installer just fills the gap, and the owner just accepts the fugazziness and moves on.

6. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    First, who's the cute woman taking the picture?
    Next - my story is a bit like yours. 'Cept I did it when they were silly expensive and impossible to get. Several arrived, didn't fit. One from a maine supplier fit, but the lower half was badly distored showing center lines with bends.
    Finally did get one. the installer wanted new mouldings and I found them (again silly expensive as used) but he was able to re-use the originals when he found out how expensive they were. Great motivation :)

miketuason likes this.
  7. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Clyde, that girl works at the parts department of Ferrari of Newport Beach, she’s a real cutie, when the windshield I ordered arrived, she called me and showed it to me at the back of the parts department, she was just taking pictures to document it.
    So, what windshield did you end up with?

8. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    Mine came from Ferrari Parts Source in Maine and the trim came from GT Car parts. I couldn't locate any new or reproduction trim. It's still in my basement.

miketuason likes this.
  9. ducowti

ducowti Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2008
    NY/SC
    Full Name:
    David
    Mike, any chance you have the contact for PGI? I can't find the right PGI online. Thanks!

10. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    David, I replied to your PM

11. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I had a golf ball hit my windshield about 8 months ago... took about 3 months to get it done.

only 4 original 328 Glass left in the WORLD that were US spec...

Lots of remanufactured glass -but you then have the odd fit ... Japan and Euro glass is not tinted so bigger supply ... American glass has the tinting at the top, so WAY harder and $$$ to source. Call Ron Reineke at Sports Car service he can help you locate what you need. 404-435-6760

12. ducowti

ducowti Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2008
    NY/SC
    Full Name:
    David
    Holy crap. So I began this painfully protracted debacle back end of June 2019. Went through two windscreens from the same vendor, apparently same bad batch of glass. The 2nd bad one arrives back to vendor "in pieces", and w.no damaged crate the carrier denies liability. After a weeks-long fight, my installer apparently prevails, and now we can move on to glass #3 from a different source. Arrives the other day...wait for it...scuffed and no good. Now my installer is away for three weeks, and we'll try #4, and the 2nd from the 2nd vendor.

13. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    The "handmade" thing might be somewhat true but Ferrari didn't make windshields, they sourced them from somebody who did and that company didn't make a different windshield for each 3x8 on the assembly line. ;) They supplied windshields made to whatever the spec was.

The problem now is simple...there aren't many of these cars around and little demand for windshields so there are probably none currently being produced that will fit properly - I suspect they are trying to fit windshields for some other vehicle that are "close." A NOS 3x8 windshield is the most likely good fit.

Hinecker and miketuason like this.
  14. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Mike I was told that the original windshield manufacturer (SIGLA) is a German company who are now no longer in business for many years. Pilkington Glass company in UK bought SIGLA glass including the mold for the 308 windshield as well, in fact I ordered a windshield from them and it didn’t fit, the curvature is way off, I was then explained what happen, the problem is, when they make the windshield using their mold, they don’t have a 308 car or body to try it so incase it doesn’t fit well, they can make adjustments on the mold until it fits correctly on the car. They are relying on the mold hoping that since it’s the mold for the 308, it will fit ALL 308 which is wrong because that’s not how they do it in Maranello.

15. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    There are so many problems with this I wonder if those windshields that haven't fit do fit some 308 variant. Has anyone ever had one that's too curved?

The GTS and GTB windshield frames are different pressings obviously, and I don't know how accurate the transition from steel to fiberglass was. I wonder if there's actually two different windshield curves needed to cover the 3X8 run. it certainly doesn't show in the parts manual that I could find, but it's mighty odd that so many glass companies got it wrong and wrong in the same way.

I have a wiper scrape on my windshield and if it was a $200 Civic windshield I would have replaced it years ago. But these stories help me ignore it even though it's annoying.

miketuason and thorn like this.
  16. ducowti

ducowti Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2008
    NY/SC
    Full Name:
    David
    Hell to the no; don't replace it until absolutely necessary. In my case the crack worsened over 3 months going from a 2" horizontal to 5" horizontal, taking a 6" vertical run.

17. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    If you have to get a non-tinted windshield, take it to a window-tint applier to have a dark band added across the top. I had to do that with both of my last two Hondas.

18. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Hi Mike,

the SIGLA windshield replacement I got in 2001 did fit perfectly. It even had a Cavallino on it :)
    I had a different problem, much worse. They botched up my roof and A-pillar paint, claimed they are innocent, instead blamed the quality of my paintwort as the cause, and I had to drag them to court.

Best from Germany
    Martin

miketuason likes this.
  19. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    With the 308/328 glass you really have to have someone who knows the cars to do it right. I had Bo Pirkle and Ron Reineke do mine. you will need the glass AND the anodized strip that comes in two halves ... which adds another couple thou into the mix. also the interior parts all have to come out on the a pillar...the mastic has to be scraped off and re applied.. this is usually where the paint work gets scratched... I really recommend calling Ron... he can help you.

20. ducowti

ducowti Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2008
    NY/SC
    Full Name:
    David
    There's no end in sight here. Had my installer replace the original (then barely-cracked) glass which is now like a road map of cracks across the entire windshield after the stress of removal and replacement. But at least I can drive her after nearly a year in the meantime.

My car is a Swiss market. To recap, TRutlands furnished two OEM glasses from Ferrari UK, neither fit. They couldn't tell me if the part #s for the two ill-fits was the 'standard' 60019908 or the Aus RHD 600362009. I'm assuming it's the former.

Does anyone know if, as a Euro, my car would accept the Aussie spec? I don't know what the difference is, but this ain't Amazon I'm dealing with and return freight becomes an issue so I can't keep ordering glasses until one fits. Based on the fact mine is not US spec, and there's an Aussie spec, don't know if that's the best 'educated guess' on which to hang my hat.

HELP!!

21. Pero

Pero Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 22, 2011
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter R
    What about GT4? Is this just as bad? Guess the curvature is less on a GT4 but not sure.
    /Peter

22. marklintott

marklintott Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    Taipei Taiwan / Somerset UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Lintott
    GT4 is way different unfortunately. Much flatter.

Hey mike, at least your car looks great!

cheers

mark

23. Pero

Pero Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 22, 2011
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter R

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I was just thinking if it was just as difficult finding a windshield for a GT4 that fits as it seems to be finding one for 308/328. Being flatter manufacturing sounds easier. Mine, GT4, is delaminating so I might face this challenge in future.
    /Peter

24. marklintott

marklintott Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    Taipei Taiwan / Somerset UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Lintott
    Sorry Peter, my bad!

I don't know about the situation with GT4's - mine is going sort of milky in one corner. I guess water between the laminations maybe? Anyway I too will be in the market for a correct one at some point i suppose.

If I come up with a source I'll post up here of course.

Cheers

25. Pero

Pero Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 22, 2011
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter R

They are available through the normal sources like Superformance, Dinoparts, MrFiat etc. But I have no idea on how good they are. This is a project that makes me nervous. Will look at it next year. Or later...
    /Peter