Buying Wholesale | FerrariChat

Buying Wholesale

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by 3POINT8, Oct 2, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    Quick question: am I correct that you need a dealer's license to buy wholesale?

The reason I ask is that my buddy has a dealer's license but deals mostly with lower-end used cars. He has offered in the past to sell me cars at wholesale. I was wondering if there is a way I can have him buy a Ferrari at wholesale so I can save a few bucks. If so, do you know where I would look to do this? Can you point me in the right direction?

Again, not sure if any of this is possible but when I look at wholesale prices and retail prices for F12's there seems to be quite a gap.

2. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    :D
    Contact Ferrari North America. Get a Ferrari franchise. They will then sell you cars "wholesale".:rolleyes:

ewright, showme1946 and BOKE like this.
  3. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Yes manheim auctions. If you have a dealer license you can buy whatever crosses their system.

BOKE likes this.
  4. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    ok thanks. i didn't know if i needed an actual ferrari franchise like the poster above eluded to or what. sounds like i can just get it through manheim. thanks so much.

5. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Np

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    Let me correct that slightly: You (your agent with the dealer's license) could then BID on cars. You would have to compete with other dealers. Then your dealer friend could sell you the car AFTER collecting the appropriate taxes and registration fees.

7. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    what does wholesale mean?

i have manheim access and have been to numerous high line auctions. they are littered with retail buyers paying a broker a $500 fee for access.

imho, the internet has changed the business. everyone knows what everything is worth and the margins are razor thin. HENCE crazy DOC FEEs

the money is in buying used cars from private individuals looking to sell that are not trading in.

ala Carmax and everyone else that is trying to lowball you on your car

I'm 360 Canuck, ewright, BOKE and 2 others like this.
  8. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Very well said.

Manhiem has become a public auction with limited access.

It's nuts the money people pay at those places.

What you said happens all too often.

Margins have been absolutely destroyed.

Pretty much the only way to hold any sort of profit... Finance them and have a strong but fair doc fee.

It's quickly not becoming worth retailing cars.

9. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    thanks for the feedback.but why do i see folks post manhiem prices and they are $30k-$50k lower than asking price on autotrader? I am assuming you can still get a better price at manhiem then on the open market?

10. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Not always.

You are reading the MMR wrong if you are seeing margins of 30-50k or you are only looking at "dreamers" pricing. Typically private party.

Margins are typically not greater than say 10k over MMR

Also, just about any car at manhiem is going to need reconditioning. Keep in mind on an exotic car this is thousands.

Also there is a buy fee from Manhiem that is going to be 1k dollars plus. Plus if the auction isn't local... you will need to pay shipping. They you will still need to add sales tax and all of that fun stuff.

Let me give you some very wise words about auctions that I came up with.

NOT ALL CARS AT AUCTIONS ARE BAD

BUT

ALL BAD CARS GO TO AUCTIONS

11. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Thats the definition of an auction lol

12. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    i'll assume we are talking about marshall goldman retail pricing.....

3POINT8, ewright and technom3 like this.
  13. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    I could not have said this any better myself. Great post. I especially like your quote "Not all cars at auction are bad but all bad cars go to auctions. I plan to use that one moving forward
    :)

pilotoCS likes this.
  14. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    I only look at auction results / mmr is useless

BOKE likes this.
  15. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    MMR is auction results.

16. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    It's incomplete - particularly when it comes to exotics. Many sales never make the MMR for a variety of reasons.

BOKE likes this.
  17. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Yup drives me nuts that they don't make it on their in their entirty but it gives you a very good look at the transactions and is what is used 99% of the time as opposed to going through individually to the auction results

18. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
  19. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Correct. Too much risk for me to buy at auction when only buying 1 car... Do I want to be the high bidder in a room of pro's and guys with red mist??

If you are dealer buying multiple cars,... you cost average out the money losers (and there will be some!). As a dealer, you also buy the cars that are priced right at the hammer... not what your heart wants.

IMHO, for private single unit buyer, it's safer to find a private seller / dealer and do due diligence. Many dealer cars are consignment... they don't have much stake in the final price. They want a deal.

Just my conservative opinion. YMMV.

3POINT8 and kes7u like this.
  20. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    No one in the car business ever ever ever ever used the calculator at the top.

In the business people say mmr is this or Manheim is that. They look at the actual transactions as the calculator at the top can throw in transactions from 10 months ago and the market moves in 30 days.

So when people talk about mmr they aren't referring to the calculated values at the top and are just talking about transactions which are below.

21. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    there are plenty of good cars at auction. manheim has inspection and dispute services

3POINT8 likes this.
  22. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    great advice! thank you

23. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    thanks!

24. Prancing 12

Prancing 12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2004
    The long way home
    #24 Prancing 12, Oct 4, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
    "Wholesale" is simply a price point. You don't need to be a dealer, or buy from an auction to buy at "wholesale".

As mentioned here, the gap between "wholesale" and "retail" is getting tighter - "margin compression" is the hot buzzword in the car biz right now.

So, as you're looking for a one off event, the best you can do is narrow your search to no more than a few models, study any sort of sales results you can (MMR, auctions like RM, etc), and start making aggressive offers on cars that fit your criteria. You'll probably hear a lot of "no's", but all you need is one "yes" at an aggressive price and all of a sudden, you've effectively bought at "wholesale"... GL

3POINT8, technom3 and flash32 like this.
  25. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    They do... But if you are a small fish disputing against a big fish... You can get blown out of the water

pilotoCS likes this.