BB valve covers | FerrariChat

BB valve covers

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by turbo-joe, Oct 1, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    about 5 years ago I let the valve covers form a 308 GTS QV powder coated in red wrickle

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

this company who did it not longer exist. now I like to powder coat in wrickle the valve covers from my BB in black, have 2 other companies found in my area for powder coating but they have problems to find the right powder that it is looking after heating as original wrickled.
    can someone tell me what is the name or the pattern of this "wrickle coating"? closest is "crocodile pattern"

2. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

3. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I asked if someone knows where to get the powder or what is teh name of this wrickle pattern.

until now I had painted with wrickle paint and it looks like this on your photos.
    I think this has been painted, not powder coated.

also it makes no sense to send 2 valve covers from germany only to get it black wrickled

4. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Good luck with your search.

5. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Just Google power coating in your area..I'm sure somebody near you does it. It's not a difficult finish to replicate.

Google VHT paints..I have used their stuff in the past, worked great if you follow the directions exactly.

6. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    tried already VHT, but this is paint, no powder for coating.
    also looked for some powder coating companies but none ever has done. as I have written, the closest pattern is "crocodile" and next week I will get both covers. will post then a photo, but on a small example sheet the pattern looks more filigree than the wrickle paint

thank you

7. TerryG!

TerryG! Karting

Feb 12, 2017
    Central UK
    Romano I'm just curious and have to ask - why must it be powder coating and not the usual (I assume) wrinkle paint?
    I've also heard black wrinkle paint referred to as 'crackle black'.

8. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    the wrinkle paint is more soft. the coating is harder and you not damage it so fast ( if something will fall down on the covers ). also it is easier to clean later - only my own experience ;)

9. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

turbo-joe likes this.
  10. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    #11 turbo-joe, Oct 4, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
    thank you for the links.

i wonder about this: This color may have limited UV stability.

this black looks like I ordered now. but original it is not so filigree as this example. may be on the photo it looks different than in real?

have to wait until next week to see the finished covers - and let me surprise ;)

11. 1RedHead

1RedHead Rookie

Sep 2, 2019
    Mexico City / NC USA
    Full Name:
    Chris M
    Last week I ordered all of their red color samples to see which one would be the best match. Unfortunately I will not be back in States until December to see them. I am sure one of them will be very close if not spot on.

12. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I also orderd here in germany several samples and none until now has been like the original. but those samples are not so large ( only about 5 x 10 cm ) and some samples I not even can see a difference.