Valeo of Manual? | FerrariChat

Valeo of Manual?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Jonmondial, Jul 28, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jonmondial

Jonmondial Rookie

Jul 28, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jon inwards
    Hi Guys,

I am looking at purchasing my first Ferrari and the Mondial has grabbed my attention for its uniqueness, I love the look of them!

I want a late car and a convertible, the question is which one to go form Valeo or Manual? I know the Valeo is a rarer car but for me is about drivability and what it ultimately more reliable and better for driving! I don’t let cars sit I drive them and enjoy them!

Thanks
    Jon

2. Temple

Temple Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Temple
    Valeo equipped cars are VERY rare; I think the total number produced is only about 35 or so. Evidently even Ferrari is unable to definitelively determine the exact number made/produced. If you’re in the US there is a Valeo being offered here by a well-known f-chat member (Alexion)- I believe it’s presently listed on eBay as well as in the f-chat classifieds. Good luck!!

Temple

paulchua likes this.
  3. Jonmondial

Jonmondial Rookie

Jul 28, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jon inwards
    Hi thanks, there is one available in the UK at the moment 1 of only 2 ever made in RHD.

As I am not specifically seeking a Valeo even though I understand they are rare, my question is what is better? What are easier t own etc.

Thanks
    Jon

4. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    I know of 2 in the UK, one you are probably looking at, the second is a UK registered LHD coupe.

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C984256

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C788244

The only difference I would say is the Valeo ECU. I am sure Alex will be in here shortly to share his experiences.

prober34 likes this.
  5. alexion

alexion Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2013
    New York
    I’m a bit biased in that I own a Valeo Mondial, but from a drivability standpoint you get all the benefits of a 5-speed manual gated shifter without any compromising the fun of driving a manual transmission. The shifts are smooth and seamless, your left leg can rest on the dead pedal rather than being contorted to the right and confined in the tight footwell with your right foot. If you encounter some traffic, you don’t have to worry about depressing the clutch pedal, it’s all done for you.
    It’s truly fascinating technology for its time and I would highly recommend one to anyone considering it.
    To properly service a Valeo, your tech must have an SD1 computer to connect to the Valeo ECU. Besides that, they are reliable, simple electromechanical systems and a lot of fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paulchua likes this.
  6. TifosiGB

TifosiGB Rookie

Aug 21, 2015
    Full Name:
    bob bob
    Hi, I've been looking for a uk RHD car for my father in law. how does valeo handle heal & toe downshifts? Love to hear more about the driving experience

7. alexion

alexion Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2013
    New York
    Your very question is addressed in this artilce: http://alexachua.com/forza_2012.pdf

For me personally - it's excellent. They are awesome cars provided they are in proper running condition, calibrated, and you have a tech that knows the system. The problem is that many techs assume they know the Valeo system and won't have any hesitation to work on them, only to learn that they are a bit more complex than simply connecting a computer and replacing parts, like in modern day warrantied cars.

They are reliable too! Just make sure you find someone that knows them well, otherwise you're a guinea pig.

8. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Don't forget there's only abut three RHD valeo so finding one will be difficult but even more important there will effectively be no-one with any experience of looking after them in the UK

9. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    For reliability and cost of ownership I’d go for the manual. I believe the Valeo has all the manual cars expensive parts plus the Valeo rare and expensive parts. As someone already mentioned they’re rare and not all Ferrari mechanics are qualified, while most any import mechanic are somewhat qualified to work on the manual car.
    I have not driven a Valeo so I leave it up to others to attest to the FUN TO DRIVE, but when I drive my QV I really enjoy the whole clutch and gear shift ritual.
    Just my .02

10. TifosiGB

TifosiGB Rookie

Aug 21, 2015
    Full Name:
    bob bob
    Thanks for you comments . there are two for sale in the UK at the moment, the car seems ideal for my Father-in-Law who has a weak clutch leg.
    https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C984256
    https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/ferrari/mondial/ferrari-mondial-3-4t-valeo-gearbox/9732243

alexion likes this.
  11. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    You can really love a Valeo until issues arise and you will start to hate it in your search of expertise to fix these models. Don't get me wrong! Valeos are not bad models or less better then the manual one. IMHO they are even better in a certain way and has its own character, which is already mentioned.

If you want a Valeo go for it I would say. If you do not mind go for the manual. Alexion can give more inside on seeking expertise, but if I am not mistaken there were times he considered to swap the valeo instrument(s) with a manual transmission.