Miami Grand Prix Update: More "Local Opposition" | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Miami Grand Prix Update: More "Local Opposition"

Discussion in 'Florida' started by BartonWorkman, Sep 19, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Correct, and you don't see ISC/Homestead directly making the accusations about noise or crowds, etc.

They hire a lobbying firm called "Better Florida Alliance" (who's sole client seems to be the ISC) to do their
    bidding for them, they're the ones who come up with all this nonsense, hire attorneys, distort facts and
    otherwise make anyone attempting to put a deal like this together miserable.

BHW

2. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    Other than the crowd Chaz mentioned I don't recall any resistance from ISC or Better Florida Alliance. It was a pretty low key thing. And it all happened not too far from Homestead. So I guess all of your suppositions on ISC fighting anything within 100 miles of their tracks, a $30 million war chest, and Better Florida Alliance are all wrong.

3. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    #28 BartonWorkman, Oct 4, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
    Well, see if this is wrong...

A new report on the Miami Herald this morning has it that the residents of Miami Gardens are now opposing
    the Miami Grand Prix due to the exact same reasons which were reportedly being brought forward by concerned
    downtown Miami residents (IE: noise, smog, traffic, the course going through their neighborhoods, etc).

Again, if you think that the ISC/Homestead aren't fighting having F-1 in the Miami area with every fiber of their being,
    then you're living in a fools paradise.

They are using a shadowy lobbying group with ties all the way to Tallahassee to do there biding for them. Is this online petition an illusion?

https://www.betterfloridaalliance.org/petitions

To my opinion now, there will be no Miami Grand Prix so the whole argument is rather moot at this point. Liberty
    is going to lose patience and move on eventually.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/article235771927.html

BHW

4. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    The article doesn’t mention either ISC or BFA. Perhaps the folks in Miami Gardens don’t want it either. Maybe they could race in Opa lLocka where there is a brand new track that is not very close to many residents?

It’s a shame a Miami GP would be cool. But it has to be downtown it won’t have any international flair out west.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

5. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    “Formula One racing would never be allowed in a rich neighborhood,” Lynette Hickenbottom told commissioners Thursday.

Lol, Monaco says "hold my beer". :)

For the life of me I can't imagine F1 and Murder Gardens in the same sentence let alone an actual race in that area. We are doomed.

GuyIncognito likes this.
  6. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    South Florida is the most corrupt place I have ever lived. When I left, 4 of the 7 county commissioners were in jail for corruption as I recall.
    Glad not to be living there these days.

:D
    BT

HotShoe likes this.
  7. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
  8. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    Looks like 2021 F1 race in Miami at HardRock Stadium. The Dolphins are not using it why not F1?

GuyIncognito likes this.
  9. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Hard Rock Stadium is where Dolphins' opponents come for tune-up games.

Event is subject to County Commission ratification. Be assured that Homestead's lobbyists are
    going to swoop in and scare the crap out of everyone within a five mile radius of the stadium and
    leverage commissioners to vote against.

From what I've read so far, two commissioners are already firmly against.

It's going to get ugly real fast.

BHW

AtSomePoint likes this.
  10. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    I don't know the politics, but F1 reached an agreement with Hard Rock. We will see.
    It will be a fun road course for track days. :)

The stadium is right off the highway? I don't remember the stadium grounds being large enough to support an F1 track. For example COTA is a 400-500 acre parcel.

11. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    Politics is always ugly. Nothing new.

12. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    zing!

:p

AtSomePoint likes this.
  13. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    Hard Rock stadium complex is ~150 acres. They ran races at bayside park and Tamiami Park in the past (Indycar/IMSA), and the Meadowlands in NJ, not to mention Monaco; so I'm sure they'll figure it out.

one interesting thing is the majority of the parking to the west of the stadium is mostly grass. some paving company is going to get a nice contract ;)

14. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Lots of chatter on social media about this yesterday and today. Castronovo even brought it up this morning on the radio. Someone is doing a strong PR push, hope it works.

I did see the protests on the news. I couldn’t stop laughing when they spoke of the severe environmental impact to Miami Gardens.

Ironically if it passes Miami Gardens won’t see the tourism benefits. No way anyone is spending time there other than to see the race. You’ll see everyone helicopter in from Miami.

15. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    I guess you are right. Monaco is a small space. 150 acres just sounds tight. We will see. The Europeans love Miami. They will make it work.

GuyIncognito likes this.
  16. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    How many commissioners total vote? Do we know when the vote will take place?

17. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    If it happens, I hope that TriRail will offer shuttle service from Golden Glades station.

18. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Just saw a sponsored ad on Instagram.

@f1mia

19. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    HotShoe likes this.
  20. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Lmao. You can't fix stupid!!!!

Unfortunately in this day and age nobody has the balls to call these fools out and tell them to go pound sand. I'm sure the F1 team didn't speak up for fear of being called insensitive, racist or (gasp) not "woke".

IMO let the idiots lose what could be a financial boom to the area. They can keep their crime and drug infested dump all to themselves. Or at least until some developer buys them out, gentrifies it and turns it into another design district. :)

GuyIncognito likes this.
  21. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I'm surprised Stephen Ross hasn't bought everything around the stadium and turned it into a mall like Kraft did in Foxborough

22. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Homestead/NASCAR thwarts the FIA and their plans to hold a Grand Prix in Miami at
    their own peril.

Like it or not, NASCAR tracks, their competition, scheduling, track safety and insurance are
    all under the umbrella of the FIA.

In short, the FIA can make NASCAR's existence more of a living hell than it already is. Get
    the popcorn ready.

BHW

23. phil the brit

phil the brit Formula 3

Jul 7, 2013
    Colchester+Clermont
    Full Name:
    Phil Taylor
    Old ladies were prepared for meeting, F1, not so much! They couldn't even fill their allotted speaking time at the meeting.

24. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    Please, F1 came to a meeting unprepared and got schooled by a bunch of old ladies.

It's looking like F1 doesn't really want a Miami Grand Prix. If they did, they would have been prepared.

GuyIncognito likes this.
  25. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    nah, I just think that's the arrogance F1 (and the Dolphins/Ross' group) have.