355 - 355 B and GTS Stick getting really hard to find | Page 10 | FerrariChat

355 355 B and GTS Stick getting really hard to find

Discussion in '348/355' started by Robb, Aug 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    The registry is not a true picture of what was produced. Only who decided to visit the site and contribute there. So I wouldn't rely on that as a fact or final word. I wouldn't even try to interpolate the data either. More of a "nice to know."

Robb

MAD828 and carnutdallas like this.
  2. eyeman1234

eyeman1234 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 25, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    The registry has about 40% the 355's produced listed.

3. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    #228 phrogs, Sep 30, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2019

My biggest issue with carfax ect, it doesn't give you real info on these accidents unless justit totalled it out. Otherwise without a good inspection who knows what and people understandably walk away. Most Owners of these cars when they had a crash (before carfax was a thing) never documented anything about an accident even though that would really help later owners. I feel most wanted to keep any crash a secret. Fact is some car do get damaged yet are just fine to repair minor fender bender Others never should have been repaired. Most fall in between.

Most people are terrified of paint work. So many projects are all done except what?? Paint and body.

4. RRRREDRVR

RRRREDRVR Karting

Jul 28, 2004
    Aptos CA
    Full Name:
    M Kitchen
    When the 355 registry began, I believe it started with a list of ALL 355 VIN production numbers from Ferrari and owners filled in info. This is why some have no data or current location. There were very few owners registered when I first checked it, and the number of ‘95 GTSs has not changed. It includes global VINs. And, BTW, there are only 2 ‘94 F355GTSs in the US according to the list.

carnutdallas likes this.
  5. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    what are your thoughts of full engine rebuilds on 355 for resale,theres a yellow one i found miles are a bit high but has had a full engine rebuild

6. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I just don’t see why a 355 would need a full engine rebuild. These are hearty cars that should run hard and long with proper maintenance. On the surface, it would suggest to me that either someone really mistreated the car or some shop sold a previous owner a bunch of crap.

carnutdallas and blkdiablo33 like this.
  7. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky

If it was rebuilt correctly I would see it as a plus. Lots of things can end up causing a serious problems like scored cylinders of other problems.

8. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    both are 95 models and both had full engine rebuilts,and both are low 30s miles.

9. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Again, just interesting why people feel the need to do such drastic things. Again, the only reason why I can think of why is what I listed in my last comment.

blkdiablo33 likes this.
  10. Wsmatau

Wsmatau Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2016
    I think I inquired earlier in this very thread about that ebay 355 and was advised to just save for a well sorted one rather than buy something for below market and expecting $20-30k in work. I'm in the minority of preferring to dictate the work that is done and discussing with the mech on options.

If they expect to get $90k+ as that car sits, they will be holding it for a long time.

11. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    The yellow F355 was owned by 355dreamer here on Fchat.

He. An give you background on the car. I have ridden in the car and seen it in person when he owned it about 2-3 years ago. It was a very nice car. I would not let the engine build slow me down on that car.

But of course do your due diligence and see what works for you.

Robb

BOKE, Wsmatau and blkdiablo33 like this.
  12. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    i made an offer about 20% less than asking but said offer was too low but no counter back the hunt continues

13. RRRREDRVR

RRRREDRVR Karting

Jul 28, 2004
    Aptos CA
    Full Name:
    M Kitchen
    This response is relevant for any Ferrari. Many Ferrari's may require an engine rebuild at one time or another. Some have inherent problems from the factory, others have issues due to use and/or abuse. The value of a car AFTER a rebuild is highly dependent on WHO did the rebuild, and what specifically was involved. There are very competent guys, wannabe's, and complete idiots. A comprehensive set of records and receipts, along with asking questions of those you trust who know who's who will be your most assuring resource. Some cars may even be better, faster, more reliable after a rebuild by someone who knows what they're doing. A brand new car in the wrong hands can be rendered to half or less of its value in no time at all. Its buyer beware, so do your homework.

BOKE and blkdiablo33 like this.
  14. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    When you make an offer that far below ask the seller most likely will not counter because he doesn't believe you are serious or he is telling you not to waste his time. At that point, if you are interested in the car it's up to you to come back with a more reasonable offer.

15. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    In the past couple of years, CarFax has broadened its categories to add more information when possible. I found my Diablo, and it had a CarFax from 9 years showing "accident".....damn that looks bad, could be anything. Almost didn't call about it but '99 Roadsters are pretty rare, especially in good colors. Turned out the "accident" was a $6,000 small dent and paint scrape. Bought the car and later on, talked to CarFax and they changed their records to say "minor accident" and listed the amount spent to repair, $6,000.

16. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    ive had low offers on my cars ive sold and i always countered back oh well there will be more

17. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Is the one you made an offer on the yellow one listed on here? I always counter back as well when the offer is serious even if it's on the low side.

blkdiablo33 likes this.
  18. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I gather that selling one of these can be trying. Being stuck a 355 is not the worst thing that can happen I suppose. Wonder if buyers and sellers are connected for a sale sell through this site at all?

carnutdallas likes this.
  19. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan

Yeah you did your due diligence and got them to update it. They didnt get new info themselves.

20. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    not sure if listed here its back east rebuild engine approx 34k miles

21. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Now I see u are talking my language;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blkdiablo33 likes this.
  22. FLORIDAsnakeEyes

FLORIDAsnakeEyes Formula 3

Jul 7, 2015
    Sarasota, Florida
    Full Name:
    OC
    I am starting to wonder why I bothered putting mine up. I have a 96 gated GTS w/ 38k miles. Yes, has some miles, I do enjoy the car. I spent about 25k in sorting the headers, valve guides, crazy driveshaft with a race shaft and now it's a zero issue car. People keep saying 90k is overpriced. I don't think so...show me one car with ALL the crazy issues fixed that plague these cars. Mine is a zero issue car, it think it's a fair deal. Anyway it's funny as the longer I have it, the less I care about selling ..

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

carnutdallas and blkdiablo33 like this.
  23. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Right, I had to send them the receipt for the work.......the real point is to not automatically ignore cars with a "bad" CarFax. You get alot of good negotiation leverage.

24. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    The market is what it is, regardless of what you or I think it is. If it's been fore sale for 3 months, plain and simple the market says its overpriced. 3 or 4 weeks ago, a guy here Larry H put up his F12 at a really good price.....it had its buyer (and a couple backup offers) in under 2 hours.

flat_plane_eddie likes this.
  25. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    The main thing you have going against your car is the mileage and the color. Most top dollar buyers want low mileage, just the way it is. Headers and valve guides are issues on these cars but most do not require engine rebuilds until later so instead of buying your car, most would rather pay the same amount for a car with 10-20k miles. Besides yours I've seen 2-3 other 355s with engine rebuilds and they never got a premium for that due to the mileage. When I sold my car it had 32k miles and I didn't get a premium for the major and valve guides that I fixed on the car, in other words it was just money I lost.