Another 348 Dual Plate Clutch Grease Hot Start Problem | FerrariChat

Another 348 Dual Plate Clutch Grease Hot Start Problem

Discussion in '348/355' started by POLO35, Oct 4, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    Hey guys so my car has developed the dreaded "dual plate kluber Grease clutch hot start problem". It's very obvious to me on cars with the Dual can exaust system that the lower silencer sits right up against the clutch bell and heats it up extraordinary high. In lieu of pulling the clutch and doing the grease repack, I thought I might kill two birds with one stone get an aftermarket exhaust and hopefully resolve this hot start problem. So my question is simply, has anybody replaced their factory exhaust and experienced this clutch hot start problem and had it resolved as a result of putting the new exhaust on? Incidentally starting the car in gear with the clutch depressed does help somewhat but not always. When it's super, super hot down here in Florida like 98 Degrees in the shade it's pretty bad.

2. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    I have Tubi stage 1 exhaust (single can) and I still had hot start problem when my Kluber grease went down (rattle on engine switch-off). Since you have the hot start problem, you need to replace the grease anyway (whether you put an aftermarket exhaust or not) and replace the triple seals as the grease is often dissolved by the ingress of gearbox oil.

Pangea likes this.
  3. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    It isn't just the dual plate clutch that has this problem, the same flywheel design is used on both versions. As stated above, leaking triple seals will dilute the Kluber grease, and it won't "un-dilute". It has to be removed and cleaned (horrifically dirty job), resealed, and repacked. It can be done at home if you have access to the tool to remove the ring nut, and a press to remove the flywheel from the "pumpkin". You don't have to remove the transmission. Easy access with the bumper removed. You probably also need a tool to align the discs on reassembly.

Pangea likes this.
  4. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    Thanks for the advice. I've been dreading doing this job. I actually replaced the clutch discs and trip seals last year and I do have the alignment tool. I was able to remove clutch and lower exaust can without removing the bumper....its tight but I've got small hands and lots of patience.

5. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    Ps. Since I'm driving the car regularly and don't want to get into this project at this time.... Just for the heck of it I'm going to try and experiment. It only does it when the car is extremely hot during the day it doesn't do it at night time so I'm going to try making a heat shield using a soldering blanket and sort of wrap the muffler where it comes close to the bellhousing and measure that temp with an IR thermometer and just see what happens. It certainly can't hurt but I have low hopes after your responses. I'll steal someone's quote from a few years ago "You mean it's actually okay to drive these cars?"

6. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #6 Ferrarium, Oct 4, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
  7. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    Well I am pretty stoked right now. I fitted the pumpkin with a couple of soldering blankets, temporary of course, with chicken wire. Took it for a spirited drive, took it home, let it sit for a while....started up perfectly no issues. Was pretty cool playing with the infrared thermometer. I was really surprised how hot some things were and how cool others were. So the cats were 450 degrees the elbows coming off of the silencer we're 260 degrees which by the way are nearly touching the pumpkin cover. The silencer itself was only 160 as well as the muffler. The block was 165 heads, valve covers 120 and surprisingly the pumpkin was only 110! Unfortunately I didn't check the temperature of the clutch pumpkin before my heat blanket but I'm going to drive it a few more times and see how it goes. I think an aluminum heat shield sounds like a good idea..... or better yet a fiberglass one so they won't be any rattles.

Attached Files:

Iltorored and Qavion like this.