Would you forgive me\ understand me if I... | FerrariChat

Would you forgive me\ understand me if I...

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by 11506apollo, Sep 29, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 11506apollo

11506apollo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2008
    Tx Co Ca
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login ....If I bought a pristine 1993 Corvette C4 40th anniversary Ruby Red edition and love it as much or more than my 308?
    Gorgeous interior, low maintenance LT1 V8, 6MT ZF transmission, glass and paint matching removable tops, E-Type Jaguar front hood exposing every single component, and a pleasure to drive.

JP365 and CK7684 like this.
  2. INRange

INRange F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    Congrats! Beautiful color.

I had a black 1992 C4 which was fun to drive but as time wore on....the electrical gremlins took over. The most prevalent one is GM located the distributor on the LT1 UNDER the water pump. So when the water pump fails (or if you wash your engine)....and they all do....it leaks water on the distributor which takes out the ignition system. To get to it is a lot of work and requires a special tool to remove the harmonic balancer. The other source of great frustration is the ECM which is no longer available. It fails randomly as it contains a series of relays to fire injectors, the ignition system and the fuel pump. The other issue is grounds failing. On a fiberglass body car....they are concentrations on ground wires at several locations which are prone to corrosion and randomly loose connections.

Probably not much different than a Ferrari when it comes to parts failing but the price point for parts is substantially less with the C4. I used mine as a daily driver for 6 years.

3. 11506apollo

11506apollo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2008
    Tx Co Ca
    Im aware of the gremlings on the C4 Unless there is a giant tsunami reaching the Hill Country in TX Im not planning on getting the engine wet im any way shape or form.
    But it is a nice car despite all the above
    Cheers

4. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    Had a 94 6 speed convert that I really enjoyed. Classic white with red interior. Other than the finicky HVAC controls, no electrical issues. Drove it as my knockabout convertible for years. Only sold it due to having too many rides in the stable. The aerodynamics of these cars make for a very comfortable open top experience. They barely mess your hair and can be driven open if you get caught in the rain - as long as you don't have to stop... ;-)

5. sigar

sigar F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 30, 2005
    NorCal
    Ha, that's the truth regarding the aerodynamics. Brought my '85 C4 down from the lake house this past weekend before we start getting snow as I need the garage space up there this winter. Anyway, it started dumping down rain and I was impressed that I didn't need the windshield wipers when at freeway speeds. I don't think I'd ever driven it in the rain before that.

6. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    Apollo, ENJOY IT!
    Those years have become very pleasing to the eyes and modern comfort instead of driving around a c2 which I have had.
    Its all becoming an enthusiasts market so enjoy it and drive it till it blows......your c10 will be electric and theres nothing wrong with that.
    Your car looks wonderful.
    GTJOEY1314

7. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Beautiful colors! Enjoy in good health.

8. AtSomePoint

AtSomePoint Karting

Jun 20, 2009
    Miami Beach
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Had a C4, 5, & 6 (passed on a 7). The 4 had the best seats of them all and I really liked the clamshell hood.

The Optispark did leave me stranded on a Wednesday night in the rain but once replaced all was well until I traded in on the 5.

9. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    Beautiful car! And to have a 6sp in an 40th is pretty rare too. I use to have a 93 ZR1 in white/red which I thought should have been the anniversary colors since the 53 only came that way. Enjoy.

10. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI