What is a transkit? | FerrariChat

What is a transkit?

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by Chiaro_Slag, Mar 3, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
  2. carl63_99

carl63_99 Karting

Oct 22, 2001
    A transkit is a package of parts to convert a model into a different version than the one offered by the model kit manufacturer. Example, transkit to make a 360 Stradale from a Tamiya 360 Modena. They may contain Photoetch parts, plastic, resin, white metal, decals, or whatever their maker decided. Some are very good, some are pure junk, so it's wise to research before spending too much money on them. Yep, you have to buy the kit too, and those Pocher kits are not cheap, but you can find them.

Carl

3. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Thanks Carl! Very helpful. :)

4. PWehmer

PWehmer Formula 3

Oct 15, 2002
    Surrounded by Water
    The link you posted isn't a transkit.
    It's set of detail parts that may or may not apply to the car you're building.

A transkit is used to convert an existing donor model. It may simply detail it or convert it to a different variation. They are typically made to work with a specific kit. They range from the simple (add a few hours to building) to over the top major conversions suited for the most dedicated modelers.

5. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    OK, thanks - the dingleberry seller called it a transkit in the title, thus the confusion. :)

6. Prowler

Prowler Karting

Jan 10, 2004
    Glendale,Arizona
    Full Name:
    Matt
  7. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I think we're splitting hairs over whether photo etched parts are a transkit or not and I think that definition is irrelevant.

What does matter is, whether a pure transkit or photoetched parts help you transform your car into something else.

There is a transkit for the F40 LM available from Bburago (our sponsor Cavallinomodels.com sells it), that claims to give you the parts you need to transform a blue F40 into the F40 LM. Well, it doesn't. It gets it close, but no cigar. It lacks the most important part, which is the new front hood. It also lacks a whole bunch of other parts and quite frankly I don't understand why Bburago or Cavallinomodels even bother to sell them.

Luckily there are other manufacturers who take care of that. I'm currently working on such a transformation, so stay tuned.

Photo etched parts are sometimes all that you need to transform a vehicle. I have used them for other models like space models, where they are very popular to make more realistic models. But they are usually a pain to deal with as the parts are very small and two dimensional.

8. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Check this out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3592438574&category=2495

Just when I went to "beat up" on Cavallinomodels for selling the Bburago transkit, they turn around and sell the real deal.

THIS is the kit to buy if you want to make a real F40 LM. It has everything and even includes photo etched parts.

I found the same kit in Germany, but this is a good price, given that it is sold in the US.

9. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
  10. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    Thank you Andreas and Al,

I am glad some of you know what a "transkit" is, but for those of you that don't, I can tell you that as a professional modeler for 30 years and owner of Scaledetails, even if you are just adding one or 2 aftermarket parts to your stock Ferrari model, you now have a "transformed" model, hence the word "transkit"....
    I am always working on designing new transkits for the Ferraris in various scales, and I sell worldwide to numerous shops and individuals, which helps keep my prices down, as some transkits out there can cost up to 10 times the price of the actual model you want to "transform"....Even so, well worth it in my opinion....

Take care all you Tifosis ,

Stephane Pedaggi
    Scaledetails

11. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Sounds good - Thanks for helping me out! I'm new to all this stuff. :)

12. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Stephane, do you have a catalog, list, website of your existing transkits?

13. PBRacer

PBRacer Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Stan

try

www.scaledetails.com

14. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    Yes, it is www.scaledetails.com , and it will be updated with new transkits very soon, I am having problems with my website people at the moment....
    Take care,

Stephane
    Scaledetails