F12 TdF - Alcantara interior (why?) | FerrariChat

F12 TdF - Alcantara interior (why?)

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by FerrariFire, Oct 2, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FerrariFire

FerrariFire Rookie

Mar 16, 2015
    Curious to know why most TdFs have full alcantara interiors?

2. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    Weight reduction. Sporty look.

Ltfor3 and Caeruleus11 like this.
  3. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    More durable and anti-slip than leather. You don’t want to be sliding around your seat in the corners at the race track. Alcantara keeps your butt firmly planted.

Caeruleus11 and 4_Eff_Sake like this.
  4. LandandcarsAZ

LandandcarsAZ Karting

Jun 14, 2018
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Robert
    All the above and it was the standard option, you have to to pay to go up to leather

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Can vouch for this. Also Alcantara is cooler and less sweat-inducing than leather in hot weather IMO.

otakki likes this.
  6. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Many say it fits the track oriented character of the car. However, IMO there is nothing more beautiful than one fully dressed in fine leather as this is a mid-front engine road car and a very special one at that.

otakki likes this.
  7. 4_Eff_Sake

4_Eff_Sake Formula Junior

Jul 30, 2016
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Scott
  8. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
  9. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    4_Eff_Sake likes this.
  10. tickerhound

tickerhound Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2016
    IL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Blue Sterling leather on mine, I do sit on a towel when wearing shorts though...
    Next car will be a Pista, would prefer Alcantera (my Speciale has leather outer/ pot scrubber inner surfaces).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Eilig and of2worlds like this.
  11. FerrariFire

FerrariFire Rookie

Mar 16, 2015
    #11 FerrariFire, Oct 4, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
    Thanks for your inputs gentlemen. Great looking interiors @4_Eff_Sake and @Eilig.

Point of my question was/is: I flew to TX from the East coast to check out a TdF for a relative abroad who is in the market for one in Alluminio Opaco. He asked my opinion and I told him: mother effin, drop dead gorgeous car until you get in. The full Alcantara interior left me wondering. It looked like every single surface had fingerprints on and had different shades. Kinda looked old too. Needless to say, all this was/is my personal POV. I can understand full or partial Alcantara on the seats but everything else; well I don't know. He seems to love it so I told him to go for it. It's not like there is a whole lot of options out there anyway - especially in a specific paint color. Car in question below:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

https://www.boardwalkferrari.com/used/Ferrari/2016-Ferrari-F12tdf-Dallas-b48d4d070a0e08ba1d7770f865659728.htm

12. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    That car is gorgeous.

13. 4_Eff_Sake

Jul 30, 2016
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Mine is Aluminium Opaco also. I’m not a huge fan of overdoing the Alcantara - the car speaks for itself (especially the paint color which is exquisite). Less is more IMHO

14. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    It’s an awesome colour. Do you think Grigio Titanio Opaco would be similar in person?

4_Eff_Sake likes this.
  15. 4_Eff_Sake

Jul 30, 2016
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Scott
    It would be noticeably darker than Aluminium, I think

16. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I think the interior looks great! Alcantara can be brushed and cleaned so it has more uniformity. I like the sporty look for a car like the TDF.

otakki likes this.
  17. jac

jac Karting

Nov 4, 2005
    Full Name:
    jack cohen
    I am going down the same road. I hate the alcantara look. It shows fingerprints hand marks etc. I was looking at a 675lt McLaren and i am having the same issues. Right colors but bad interiors. Leather shines up nicely good to go.

18. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    I think alcantara holds up longer than leather, especially on seat bolsters. That’s a meaningful issue for 260lbs guys like myself.

19. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Good thing about Alcantara is the zero maintenance associated with it. Okay, one might need to clean/comb/brush high wear areas to raise the pile from time to time, but that's all there is to be done. Alcantara is pretty much indestructible so no need to worry about shrinking leather. Hey, what else look so much like suede without all the headache of suede?!