07294 "chairs & flairs", but no chairs! | FerrariChat

07294 "chairs & flairs", but no chairs!

Discussion in '206/246' started by Bluebottle, Oct 5, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    nice... I like flares with a GT...

2. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    Any evidence that it ever had beige Daytona seats as claimed?

3. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    Good question. The auctioneer states that it was delivered with Daytona seats and implies that this is evidenced by the Maranello records. Once upon a time one could rely on auctioneers' descriptions as being accurate, but these days I would not be so sure. Caveat Emptor!

4. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    What would the likelihood be for someone to change from Daytona pattern leather to heat seamed vinyl including the door panels?

5. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I was thinking the same.

6. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    You’d be surprised what some, even Ferrari owners, will do to save a £/$/€ or two.
    Heck, plenty of evidence can be found on this web forum alone.

OTOH, this wouldn’t be the first time auction description/details could be considered questionable. :rolleyes:

7. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I have "rarely" heard that the Daytona seat is not for everyone.

Someone could have "dealer swapped" them at purchase or just after for a number of reasons?
    I guess you buy the car and order a set from Classiche.

Who will call down the street and get a set started...LOL!

8. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Only the desire for a color change would have driven the door panels, IMO

9. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Today, most likely wouldn’t happen.

Years ago? Unknown, but imagine before one knew what the original specs were, and had a worn interior that looked like crap.

Let’s replace it!!! What are our options? The “original style” seats or making it look like some weird version of what we had? Let’s go for original!

Today’s view point is far different from 10 years ago, 20 years ago and 30 years ago.

For me, the real question is how old is this interior and has this been confirmed to have a serial number that supports a chairs option.

What we know about serial numbers today, didn’t exist in the recent years past. No way any common Dino person would have known years ago.

Shawn

10. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    It would be surprising if the seats in a car that had done less than 6,000 miles were so worn as to need replacement. I can only assume that it was a whim of the owner to change the colour of the interior (if the car really had been delivered with the Daytona seats) and he was a bit of a cheapskate (or maybe a vegan!).

11. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    My database records 07294 as being delivered in Rosso Chiaro 20 R 190 with Beige VM3218 leather, flares and Campagnolo wheels. It doesn't look like it was optioned with Daytona seats when new. Matthias may have more info. The current vinyl interior does look like an aged original factory version. The remade Luppi version is very slightly different to the original in terms of the fit of the seat centre cushions which they have made a little too narrow on the front under thigh section.

12. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    #13 GermanDino, Oct 10, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
    Rosso Chiaro is correct, but original standard seats beige 430 (vinyl) according to Ferrari database

13. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
  14. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    That is a serious price in view of the car's apparent condition.

15. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    No A/C in that Dino!

16. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Few GB cars did have A/C.

synchro likes this.
  17. Eltel246

Eltel246 Karting

May 14, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Charles Hill
    Strong money indeed! Can you enlighten me as to where this car falls down on condition?

18. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Just to be clear - Are you asking us to nit pick this car apart?
    Geez, nobody asks us that, usually it is "lighten up" :)

Rear black on valance stir you?

19. Eltel246

Eltel246 Karting

May 14, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Charles Hill
    Not at all, apologies if I have offended you. I am struggling to see any glaring faults with this car.
    Excuse my inexperience!

20. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Sorry, "condition" was probably the wrong word. Those sort of prices usually go to cars that are in concours condition and correct to original specification. This car appears to have the wrong interior.

Eltel246 likes this.
  21. Eltel246

Eltel246 Karting

May 14, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Charles Hill
    Thanks for that John.

I asked an innocent question to try to add to my knowledge of the cars and got shot down by Mr Synchro!

22. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    Charles, it is a very original looking car in most regards judging by the photo's. However if looking at the car from a concours judging viewpoint then a few items stand out.
    • A non original stainless exhaust has been fitted.
    • The lower satin blacking around the front clip dips too low beneath the front grille.
    • The satin blacking on the rear should carry onto the lower edges of the rear flares.
    • The screen wash bag is incorrect.
    • The wheels look to have been restored and have a high gloss laquer finish which is incorrect.
    • The door cards have been fitted with screws along the lower edge when the factory used clips hidden from site on the rear of the boards.
    • The fuel tank breather hose that is normally routed along the top of the rear firewall appears to be missing.
    • The tool and jack kit bag linings do not match which is unusual but could just be a case of the factory using what was to hand when the switch over was made from the brown to red lining or the owner replacing one of the bags at some point early in the car's life when they were still available as parts from the factory.

Eltel246 likes this.
  23. Eltel246

Eltel246 Karting

May 14, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Charles Hill
    Thanks Iain,

I appreciate you taking the time on this. Very helpful

24. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    The wheels look to be reproduction as there is no Dino script on them. Pretty sure they used screws at the bottom of the doors on the later cars. My '74 GTS has screw holes in that same location as does my late series GT and a spare door I have. Also, on the later cars they routed the breather hose above and behind the hinges. It would be nice to have someone photo document a low mile, unmolested Dino for all the little details even though there were variances over the production run.

Eltel246 likes this.