Help needed F430 Clutch question | FerrariChat

Help needed F430 Clutch question

Discussion in '360/430' started by Jason1031, Sep 22, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jason1031

Jason1031 Rookie

Aug 22, 2019
    Full Name:
    Jason Mercado
    I'm new to owning a Ferrari and have only had mine for a two weeks. When purchasing the car came with an extensive list of records. One of which stated the clutch usage was at 38.7% used (October 2018 -26,954). I took it into my local Ferrari dealer for some work and they told me the clutch was at 100% used (Sept 22 - 29,181). Any thought on if this is possible? Is it possible one of the readings is wrong? The dealer who sold me the car said the clutch is fine and don’t do the work, that likely it is an aftermarket clutch and Ferrari software can be confused by that.

Lastly Ferrari told me about $10k to replace the clutch- $5,500 in part $2.5k in labor and the rest in taxes and such. Is that a reasonable number?

Appreciate the advise and help in advance!

2. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Mine wears about 1% every year doing a few thousand miles. Presently on 22% @12500 miles
    If it was 100% reading i would think you would have had problems before now.
    I am limited in knowledge as never had to change one. Others on here are experts and will have better info and experience

3. cpep

cpep Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    new york
    Full Name:
    CHARLIE
    I would think you would see some drivability issues at 100% wear. How does it drive?

4. Jason1031

Jason1031 Rookie

Aug 22, 2019
    Full Name:
    Jason Mercado
    It’s my first F1 clutch, but I don’t feel any drivability issues. Shifts fine to me and is good I’m reverse. I tested it out driving hard down an empty road and problems catching on heavy acceleration 1-3.

5. CarAholic

CarAholic Formula Junior

May 10, 2016
    Don’t replace it until it has driving problems. Dealer is just trying to fleece you. Price isn’t out of the stratosphere coming from a dealer but an Indy should be in the 5-7 range all in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. cfensty

cfensty Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 1, 2008
    South Carolina
    Agree. Mine wasn’t worn but had hot spotting issues. Somewhat minor and the car shifted great but could not launch without slipping and shuttering. It drove me nuts so I had it replaced for about $6,500 with machined flywheel and all the extras that you do at clutch time. I would enjoy it until you notice symptoms.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

7. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    If the dealer tells you the clutch is at 100% then it´s at 100%. Another scenario could be that the clutch reading was not reset when the clutch was changed the last time but you got a different reading when you bought the car so we can rule that scenario out. The clutch might work properly for some time to come but you could end up ruining your flywheel.

8. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I have averaged about 1% clutch life per 1000 miles. Seems inline with what others have posted. If you do need to have the clutch replaced, find a good independent Ferrari mechanic, $5-7K is a good gouge.

9. Jason1031

Jason1031 Rookie

Aug 22, 2019
    Full Name:
    Jason Mercado
    I was able to obtain the SD3 report from the dealership. However, don’t really know how to it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attached Files:

10. azzurribaggio

azzurribaggio Formula Junior

I would get a second opinion from a good Indy mechanic in your area. Then go from there but I would let the Indy mechanic replace the clutch as others have mentioned will be alot less then what the dealership will charge.
    I myself haven't had to get this done but I already have an independent mechanic chosen out as my go to when needed.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

11. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    That means that one would get 90k+ miles from one clutch. I find that hard to believe. My experience is more in the line of 2-2,5% wear for every 1000 miles in optimal conditions.

12. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Depends on how you drive the car I suppose, that had been my experience over 4 years of ownership

13. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    In the first 5000 miles i had similar wear but the next 5000 miles the wear number increased significantly despite same driving conditions. I´m just saying it´s unrealistic to expect that kind of wear through the whole life of the clutch. But then again, the wear percentage is just an indicator.

Manda racing likes this.
  14. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    On the plus side, 50k is very realistic or these.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

15. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    I guess if not driven in traffic or in a big city.

16. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    On this we will have to disagree. You can easily get that if your system is set up correctly and you drive it with any concern during launch.

17. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    I have about 7500 miles on this clutch and the wear is at 17%. Driven under almost optimal conditions and set up correctly according to two independents and one authorized dealer.

18. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    OK, so doing the math even that gets you to 44K. I was doing better than that and I know many others as well but, I really didn't think about it at all. Given most people's miles/year that is way more than matters anyway.

Zed82 likes this.
  19. Gizzi

Gizzi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 3, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Gezim
    Don’t believe the dealer. I’ve seen clutches that have been removed after the customer being told they were st 99% wear and they looked like 20% once out of the car. You can inspect the clutch yourself if you get the car in the air. There is an inspection point at the base of the clutch. You’ll be able to see how much clutch material is left. Mines done 100k klms (60k miles) now and is at 78% wear. No slipping, no jumping out of gears. If you have no drivability issues, go and get a second opinion.

Skidkid likes this.
  20. Jason1031

Jason1031 Rookie

Aug 22, 2019
    Full Name:
    Jason Mercado
    Have a second opinion coming on Friday. Just found an Indy that has worked on F430’s before. Took me a bit, but will update the thread on the results. Thanks for all the insight.

21. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    I´ve heard from several indys that the clutch can´t be thoroughly inspected visually. The view of the clutch plate through the hole is apparently inadequate.

22. Gizzi

Gizzi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 3, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Gezim
    Obviously it’s not a full inspection, but you can see the clutch material and how much wear there is. You’ll certainly be able to see if it’s got 100% wear.

23. Jason1031

Jason1031 Rookie

Aug 22, 2019
    Full Name:
    Jason Mercado
    Indy did a great job explaining what they think is going on. Clutch is at 108% which obviously isn’t possible. They believe it’s the second clutch on the car and when repacked they didn’t have the right equipment to reset the software that measures the clutch wear. So now it’s not possible to really tell where’s it’s at. They quoted 8k to replace so better than the dealer. They recommended that I drive it until I notice real issues and just enjoy it :)

so that is the plan!

24. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Yep, happens more and more. People want to do the work but don't have the tools (computer) so they skip that step.

kes7u likes this.
  25. Gizzi

Gizzi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 3, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Gezim
    There you go. Just drive it until you experience symptoms.