Thinking about trading my 430 spider for a 16m | FerrariChat

Thinking about trading my 430 spider for a 16m

Discussion in '360/430' started by stan996turbo, Sep 3, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stan996turbo

stan996turbo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stan
    I’m contemplating trading my 430 spider in to get a 16m. Does anyone have firsthand knowledge of the current market on this model. The low a few years ago was around $240k and climbed to the mid $300’s and now seems to be in the upper $200 range?

2. kiryu

kiryu Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2016
    Los Angeles
    i got accepted for 260k on a blk 10k mile car about a month ago. Ended up with a scud for 40% less

3. stan996turbo

Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stan
    Were you able to compare the performance of the 2 cars? I’ve also been considering a scud but I love my spider and the idea of adding the scud to my spider seems over the top, so I was hoping to have the best of both worlds. I’ve not driven a 16m and I’m curious how close the experience is to the scud?

4. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    I did exactly what you did about 6 years ago... traded my 430 spider for my 16M and have never looked back. There is something very special about a race version car with top down. Some may argue that a Scud or any “track” version car should be in coupe form. They may say less stability without the roof. But I’ve taken my 16M to the track once and honestly had a better time tracking my Exige at the time.
    So when you ask about performance - will you be tracking the car often? That’s really where performance should shine...>99% of drivers never take their F car to the track.
    But if you want an all around glorious, iconic car, limited to 499 and wish to be enveloped by symphonic vibrations with the top down and bangs of the 60ms shifts to your kidneys...then 16M you must.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my 16M

FerRrari, tonyc, ShineKen and 2 others like this.
  5. stan996turbo

Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stan
    Thank you for your thoughts, can you please share with me your observations on how different the cars feel other than the shift speeds. Thank you

6. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I will never forget when I was passed by a 16M. We were north of Vegas on an empty highway. I had a passenger with the top down. The 16M was by himself with the top up. He passed me while I was going 175 mph. He said he hit 192 mph

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Red 27 and LightGuy like this.
  7. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    you paid 150s for a scud? nice.

8. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i think its more in the mid 2s from what ive seen...

9. kiryu

kiryu Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2016
    Los Angeles
    I had a 07 spider a couple of years ago. Honestly, I remember the spider being louder than the scud (both stock cars), so despite the scud being reviewed as one of the loudest stock cars ever produced, the volume still doesnt beat open air driving. Now if u start doing headers/exhaust etc. then it might be different. I remember there's a tiny bit of flex when I do high speed corners in the canyons, obviously I didnt feel that in the scud without the tires breaking loose first. The spider still feels very analogue (the top really offers not much sound deadening), but you are sitting in nice leather and carpets. The scud feels harsh, every surface you touch and see is hard carbon or alcantara. A tiny sand inside the cabin will roll from left to right on the floor when you corner, and you hear everything including the pads grinding down the rotors. The fast shift is probably the biggest difference, it feels like a very rough dual clutch. Power wise I dont feel there's that much more but you definitely feel the weight savings, so the faster you go the faster the scud feels comparing to a spider. If you are looking to put a lot of miles into a car though and want that open top experience, the 458 spider is a nice alternative. It's not that u cant drive the 16m a lot, it's just I rather put that depreciation into another fun and different car (like a 4c etc.)

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  10. bayareaferrari

bayareaferrari Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2004
    California
    More on the 16m observations would be great

11. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    The brakes, the steering, the noise, the performance- they are incredible cars. The roof down experience is something else. They also ride a lot better than an F430 and feel a hell of a lot more special overall, even just to sit in.

Go test drive one.

12. stan996turbo

Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stan
    Thank you for all the replies

13. stan996turbo

Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stan
    Does the car feel more powerful or just more agile and edgy?

14. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    #14 LightGuy, Sep 4, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
    I have tracked Scud values for over a year because it is on the short list of "next car".
    The hunt is half the fun.

Per the big resale sites a decent 16m goes for 280 ish.
    Minty ones a little over 320.
    Some ask years ago stupid prices.
    "Bargains" for as litle as 250.
    The Colorado Porshe dealers red car comes to mind. 11k miles.
    Traded / sold and marked up by another retailer.

Im sure the 430 spyder is very nice and very fast.

But it is not in the same league as a 16M as far as a long term investment.

15. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Yes, noticeably. The shift speed is much higher but also the gear ratios are different - this coupled with more BHP and torque make it a quick car.

16. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Additionally being 175 lbs lighter gives the 16M a much more direct handling experience ala point and shoot. When I used to race LotusCup, our goal was always to “add lightness” as Colin Chapman used to say. We would equate 10 lb weight loss to 1 bhp....I would take a lighter car on track any day over a heavier car with more HP. Faster exit speeds out of corners, better handling dynamics, improved power to weight ratio.

Sent from my 16M

Red 27 likes this.
  17. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    I'm pretty sure it would be in a different league in every respect.

If you drive one and love it, and it makes financial sense for you, why not make that switch?

And I think $275k buys you a nice example.

18. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Why not replace it with a 458 spider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Maybe because they are a few rings down on the special ladder......I think the 16M is epic

20. stan996turbo

Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stan

21. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    When I win the lottery, the first thing I'm going to do is buy plastique999's car. :)

22. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward

Well I can say that my car has been given a lot of loveeee....19k miles on mine and it continues to give glorious miles....

Sent from my 16M

23. galt

galt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2005
    Drove the Scud back to back with the 458 on the track. Both great cars and I was probably faster in the 458 due to the driver aids. Also, the 458 is more defined.

However, for me, the Scud was just more exciting and engaging to drive. The shifting, setup and removal of sound deadening material makes the car significantly more visceral.

Since I wanted a car that felt like more of an event to drive—that influenced my decision greatly.

Funny, now people are foregoing the turbo cars for the 458 for some of the same reasons. On the spectrum the Scud is even more in that direction..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk