Need help on 360 stumbling under light load intermittently. SOLVED!!! | FerrariChat

Need help on 360 stumbling under light load intermittently. SOLVED!!!

Discussion in '360/430' started by DDavid, Sep 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DDavid

DDavid Karting

May 3, 2018
    Full Name:
    DDD
    This is more for the benefit of other owners that anything, but I wanted to share my "journey" with all the problems and DTC codes. Ever since I bought the car (360 Spider clutch car 2000 model) it hasn't been right. It was quick, but not that quick. It never seemed to do what I thought it should as far as performance goes. I'm a retired mechanic, so I'm no rookie, but this car had me beat. I had it scanned on SDXs and the results were in my opinion always inconclusive. Most shops are not great at diagnosing problems, they mostly fit new parts. This is meant to be the cure all....but beware of the parts you buy. In my quest to solve various problems I ended up replacing virtually every sensor on the engine. All O2 sensors, 8 coils, new spark plugs, new fuel pumps, injectors ultrasonically cleaned and tested, crank angle sensors, cam position sensors, knock sensors, MAFs and finally the coolant temp sensor. I think that's it.....
    When I bought the MAF sensors I bought a pair of factory Bosch ones from the UK as they were the same part number and as far as I could tell, identical to what I as removing from the car. The car ran really well for 2-3 days and then went back to its old ways. Codes suggesting O2 sensor problems, bad ground on MAF circuits, misfires..... so in desperation I pulled the tirgger on a pair of factory Ferrari MAFs. IT appears to me that this was the problem all along. I believe I bought fake MAFs from a vendor in the UK (I'm in d). IF you have performance problems, or constant codes, check your MAFs. I can't begin to tell you the difference they have made to my car. As a further "insurance" kind of thing, I decided to pull the intake off and replace the 8 gaskets, and at the same time replaced the knock and cam position sensors as well as the coolant temp sensor. My car feels like its grown extra cylinders. The difference in performance is simply astonishing. I'm now firmly in the opinion that all my headaches were caused my non original MAFs.

2. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

did you have CS tcu in your car?

3. Flyingbrick242

Flyingbrick242 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2017
    Northern AZ.
    Interesting feedback...
    Question: Since the AMM is measuring airflow was there any observation of irrattic measured kilos of air passing.?
    You mention it was fine for a few days then power loss returned was the defective AMM’s affecting short or long term adaptation.?
    Thanks for Sharing.!!
    Good to hear it’s running well!!

4. DDavid

DDavid Karting

May 3, 2018
    Full Name:
    DDD
    Manual gearbox

5. DDavid

DDavid Karting

May 3, 2018
    Full Name:
    DDD
    Unfortunately I don’t have the data you’re asking for. My fuel trims were within spec but I constantly got bad ground codes for the MAF circuits. This then also affected the ability of O2 sensors to do their jobs which then resulted in other codes. I was like a dog chasing its tail.

Flyingbrick242 likes this.
  6. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    I just put in new Bosch mafs....same part number stamped on my old ones. Car runs so much better now. Smoother and more responsive. Got 1 from eBay and 1 from Amazon. Gonna do the o2 sensors next.

7. bobby355

bobby355 Karting

May 21, 2009
    My 360 manual only stutters on very light load when I’m releasing the clutch from a full stop. I’ve accepted this for over 10 years now on my car. I always have to go from a full stop by just slowly releasing the clutch and not adding any throttle. I guess it’s been good for clutch life lol Anyone else have this same symptom only when moving from a full stop?

8. Some Guy in the sky

Some Guy in the sky Formula Junior

Sep 19, 2018
    Is the cold startup any smoother? I am wondering if the mafs need to be changed every so many years. Mine are 10 years old and the car seems to run very well but cold start up can be randomly rough. I've recently changed all the coils and they were a huge improvement. If things like mafs and o2 sensors 'time out' I should probably change them as well. Seems we need to start a sticky detailing things that need to be switched out after 20 years.

DDavid likes this.
  9. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    When I changed 1 maf, the cold startup was still rough even though the car ran better. When I changed the 2nd maf, the cold startup improved significantly. Beauty is, they’re not expensive and a ham fisted gorilla like myself can change them in 5mins.
    FWIW, my car is a 2001, with 24000miles. I did coils and plugs this year as well.
    Haven’t done 02 sensors yet..next on my list for end of season tuneup.

10. DDavid

DDavid Karting

May 3, 2018
    Full Name:
    DDD
    Please
    keep us updated as to the improvements. Mine started off really well, then just as quickly went bad. The fix was putting in the new genuine Ferrari sourced MAFs. At least that's what happened to mine.

11. DDavid

DDavid Karting

May 3, 2018
    Full Name:
    DDD
    In my chasing down faults, I've now replaced every single sensor on the engine. The car is nearly 20 years old, and I figured it couldn't hurt, so I did it. The MOST significant upgrade to drivability and performance AND ease of starting etc was definitely the new MAFs. Now that I've replaced everything, I kind of feel like I've pressed a reset button. Aside from engine internals, there's nothing left to replace. Car runs like a Ferrari should.....now.

brookliner7 and Apollo 11 like this.