83 308 GTB QV Tire Size Questions | FerrariChat

83 308 GTB QV Tire Size Questions

Discussion in '308/328' started by David308Gioia, Sep 16, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. David308Gioia

David308Gioia Rookie

Jul 30, 2018
    Full Name:
    DavidSD
    Hello, I have an 83 308 GTB QV US spec car. I am tire shopping. Car currently has 210/55 VR390 on all 4 corners. My owners manual (correct for the car) identifies 220/55 VR390 tire size. Before I pull the trigger on this buy, could anyone offer info/advice/insight if the 220/55 VR390 will be okay on the car with no clearance issues. My wheels are 165 TR 390.
    Coker tells me the tire size is F 205/55 VR16, R 225/50 VR16. I know these will not work with 165 TR 390 wheels. As far as I know the car has all original equipment. I'm also aware around the early 80's there were changes with 308 tire sizes/availability. It looks like (according to owners manual) this same car/year was also available with the 16 inch wheels with offset sizes front/rear as identified by Coker.
    I'm thinking to get the owners manual tire size identified 220/55 VR390's. It is odd the car now has 210/55 VR390's on it. I'm looking for reassurance the 220's will be okay on the car. As usual, any advice from the wizards is much appreciated.
    Thanks, David

2. Grim Reaper tr

Grim Reaper tr Karting

Oct 6, 2014
    Hi David,

The early USA market 308 QV's were delivered with Metric TRX wheels , 165 TR 390 ( 15.5 inches) and 220/55 VR 390 tires.

220/55 VR 390 tires will work fine, just be prepared for the heart attack at the price when the tires need replacing!

Grim

3. David308Gioia

David308Gioia Rookie

Jul 30, 2018
    Full Name:
    DavidSD
    Thanks Grim! Yes the prices are high. I'm replacing now because the tires I have are old and need replacing. I may consider selling my 210/55 VR390's (5) as garage rollers after I get new rubber.

4. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    David,
    You could buy an entire set of proper 16" wheels AND a set of 16" staggered wheels for the same price as a set of the TRX tires...

Superformance in the UK sells the well regarded OEM option size replacement wheel set (2 of 16"x7", 2 of 16"x8") for £845.00 (http://www.superformance.co.uk/308/wheels.html ), or roughly $1,056 USD. Tire Rack lists 33 sets of tires available in the proper 2x205/55-16, 2x225/50-16 staggered size, ranging from $299.80 for 4 tires (Riken Raptor) to the extremely good Contenental ExtremeContactSport (a far better tire than the TRX; well most of the listed tires will be also!) for $501.96 USD.

The TRX from Longstone https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/classic-car-tyres/ferrari/308-gts-qv/220-55wr390-michelin-trx.html are £342.00 each, or £1,368 = $1,710 USD.

So for $1,056 for wheels plus $501.96 for tires, $1558 USD total, you could have a much better wheel/tire combination for $152 LESS than just a set of TRX tires. Then the next time you need to buy tires in 5 or 6 years or so (when performance tires should be replaced due to age hardening), you'll only have to spend $501.96 for another set of Continental ECS instead of $1,710 for another set of the TRX...

Steve Magnusson and jferazzi like this.
  5. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    The above is exactly why I have repro 16" wheels on my car and a set of metric wheels and tires tires rotting away in the shed in the backyard.

mwr4440 and jferazzi like this.
  6. David308Gioia

David308Gioia Rookie

Jul 30, 2018
    Full Name:
    DavidSD
    Yes - the wizards are wise! Thanks GordonC, this is excellent information and advice. This does raise a question about spare tire size. Would I want the 7 inch wide wheel with the 205, or the 8 inch wide wheel with the 225 for a spare? I would need to buy 5 wheels and 5 tires. I'm thinking the 8 in wide wheel with the 225 for a spare because I wouldn't want different diameter wheels/tires on the rear. Is overall diameter the same front/rear? I'm thinking the diameter difference front/rear is minimal, but I don't know if it is significant enough to be concerned with.

Is there some other tire/wheel combo spare to purchase that may be easily used front or rear?

Let's say I do the 8 inch wheel with 225 for a spare, should I use the shorter wheel bolts on the front If I need to do a roadside change? or the longer front wheel bolts?

Purchasing new wheels I would also want to buy new valve stems, center caps, and probably wheel bolts. I see the site http://www.superformance.co.uk/308/wheels.html identifies different length wheel bolts for front/rear. The rears look like they are shorter.
    I believe the wheel bolts with the 165 TR 390 wheels are all the same length.

I also see the site identifies centering rings for the front wheels (To use with 5-Spoke Ferrari-Style Wheel #30820005) the part number is what I would need for the front wheel on my car. It is safe to think no centering ring if I'm using the 8 inch wheel with a 225 tire as a spare on the front? Is the centering ring necessary regardless of wheel used (for these repro wheels)?

I'm on a steep learning curve with this car and want to do things correctly.
    I know I have lots of questions here and appreciate time anyone takes to address my questions. Thanks for any follow-on advice/info.

7. David308Gioia

David308Gioia Rookie

Jul 30, 2018
    Full Name:
    DavidSD
    I am seeing the diameter is same front/rear looking at the Conti's. I've answered one of my questions looking at Tire Rack.

8. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    My car (84 308 GTS QV Euro) came from the previous owner with a TRX wheel and ancient tire for a spare, even though it has the factory 16" wheels - I suspect a prior owner misplaced the original spare and someone, somewhere, picked up a cheap TRX wheel/tire from eBay. I bought a Volvo space saver wheel and skinny tire from eBay, the Volvo bolt pattern is also 5x108 and I trust a 5 year old spare tire much more than a 30 yr old TRX tire if I ever had to use it! The skinny Volvo spare tire also leaves a bit of stowage space in the front trunk on top of the tire as well.

9. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Don't think the 8" wheel/tire will fit under the front bonnet. The SPCs show 308 that came with 16" wheels used a 7" wide for the spare.

The wheel bolt length differences are related to the brake disc design (not the wheels) -- i.e., putting a 7" or 8" wheel on the rear = use the shorter wheel bolts, and, likewise, putting a 7" or 8" wheel on the front = use the longer wheel bolts.

Albert-LP likes this.
  10. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    I agree that the 8" wheel won't fit in the frunk space. So if you do get a flat in the rear you'd better hope that you were alone. If not, you're leaving something or someone by the side of the road. I've never tried mounting a rear wheel on the front, there might be interference issues with fenders or suspension parts.

I did not need to change wheel bolts moving between metric and repro wheels. They are different lengths already.

On the 308 the rear hub diameter is bigger than the front. The repro wheels are designed with the rear's hub diameter for both front and rear. The spacer makes sure the fronts are centered when you bolt them up. This design does allow the front wheels to be mounted front or rear so you could use a repro front as a spare. That's what I have. Superformance will sell you one (or five). But I also would use a 30 year old TRX as a spare if that was my only option. I wouldn't use it at high speed or for very long, but I would use it to get to the next town if I needed.

11. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    I had Superformance repro 16" rims. I sold them: they are not original (you can clearly see the rear ones are different from the originals) and they weight much more than the original TRX metric rims.
    A tip: buy an original set of Cromodora 16" rims (even if they cost a lot, 4-5 k, but you won't lose your money) or buy a TRX set. The TRX are very strong and durable tires, they can last ten years without problems: I drove several times my former 1983 Ferrari 208 GTS turbo with factory original TRX tires, 34 years old (up to last year). I didn't go over 80 mph (120 km/h), but they still worked.

I hated to see my car with not original rims, so I spent the money and (on my 308) I put back the TRX rims with fresh TRX tires and I got a spare of 16" Cromodora factory option rim set.

ciao

12. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Forgot to mention, further to the Volvo spare, a few details and key considerations: - I used an S80 spare, size 125/80-17. It's the same diameter as the 308's 16" tires. This photo compares to the similar diameter TRX tire

Image Unavailable, Please Login

The wheel required drilling a few holes to accommodate the brake disc centre fixing screws that project from the hub of the brake disc. See here (that's the rear brake, but the fixing screws are the same):

Here's a picture of the holes drilled in the spare wheel to give clearance to those disc fixing screws:

The steel wheel hub area is much thinner than the alloy centre of the Ferrari wheels, so the regular wheel bolts are too long - they would bottom out if you tried to use them with the Volvo spare, and leave the wheel wobbling! The Ferrari wheel bolts are 14x1.5 diameter and pitch, which is the same as several European cars use - Audi, for example. I bought a set of 5 shorter bolts from ECS Tuning specifically for use with the spare - they have them on sale right now for $0.42 each! https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-parts/ball-seat-wheel-bolt-14x15x255mm-priced-each/ls17d25f~ecs/

Also, the centre hub flange of the Ferrari front discs is smaller than the centre flange of the rear discs - which is why the Superformance replica wheels require a hub ring in front, as they have the same centre bore profile front and rear (The OEM 1Ferrari front wheels have a stepped bore - larger diameter to fit the shallower, larger flange on the rear disc, but a deeper narrower bore to fit the deeper front flange). That also means that the Volvo spare wheel fits on the front hub, but does NOT fit on the rear hub. The solution, should you have a rear flat tire, is to install the Volvo spare on the front position, and move the front tire to the rear to replace the flat rear tire. A bit of extra work, but it will still get you on the move.

Here's the Volvo spare mounted to the front hub (car is on jacks, so the suspension is not loaded):

The spare tire compartment with the full size TRX wheel/tire in place:

And with the Volvo space saver spare in place

13. David308Gioia

David308Gioia Rookie

Jul 30, 2018
    Full Name:
    DavidSD
    The knowledge on this site is soooo helpful. I greatly appreciate all the info/pictures. I've owned my car for about a year. It has almost 34,000 miles, I'm 3rd owner. It came with TRX tires manufactured late 2003. Yes they are old. I haven't pushed the tires much. I am running 33psi cold. I want to get new rubber. Now I have to think about all the options everyone has identified and think through what will work for me. I do like original stuff, especially on a car like this. I had no idea the TRX tires were so durable. Makes sense since I've been using my old tires with no problems (so far). Lots to consider. It may take me a week or two to figure out what to do.
    Things good to know - the Volvo spare option (GordonC) or just use my original TRX spare as a stop-gap solution to a flat. Not using the 8 inch wheel as a spare, and it came with the 7 inch as a spare (Steve). Knowing the wheel bolt info is good. Knowing the repro 7 inch wheel can be used as a spare front or rear. Albert-LP, good to know about the weight difference and rear wheel design is a little different for the repros. I don't think I could get the cost of Cromodora 16" rims past the spouse :) There are limits :)
    Again thank you all so much for educating me on my choices and possibilities. I will follow-up when I decide what I'm doing.
    David

14. David308Gioia

David308Gioia Rookie

Jul 30, 2018
    Full Name:
    DavidSD
    Hello fellow enthusiasts! I have decided to stay with the Michelin TRX tires for this go-around. I do understand the benefits of going with 16 in wheels and more modern tires, however I have also found the TRX tires are not really terrible either. I'm the 3rd owner on my car with about 34,000 miles. It is a beautiful example of a 308 GTB QV. It has been properly cared for by previous owners. I understand for some the choice to go with more modern rubber is an easy call, but for me, my intentions when purchasing the car was to keep it as original as possible. Again, I greatly appreciate all the fantastic information I received through this thread. I will keep this detailed info for reference.
    I did find via Coker I can get a discount code from Hagerty (because I am a Hagerty Drivers Club member), Coker will give a 10% discount on my tire purchase. I will be buying 5 tires so the discount is welcome. I'll be going with 220/55 VR390's. This is the tire size that should be on my car as it was not equipped with the 16 inch wheel/tire option when purchased/manufactured. I will post my purchase costs so others will have a reference if deciding on tires. I want to thank everyone again for the information/how to with my tire questions. I'll post my costs when purchase is complete.

15. Nuno Andrade

Nuno Andrade Karting

Aug 24, 2019
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Nuno Andrade
    how much was the total with the discount applied?

16. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    The Volvo spare is a great idea; a fresh space-saver spare for cheap. I paid $40 for mine which I found in a crashed Volvo in a junkyard.

I had test-mounted my Volvo spare on my front wheel and had thought that it fit with the factory bolts. I've been driving around with the Volvo spare in the front trunk for a couple of years! Thanks for the tip. I just ordered a set of bolts from ECS Tuning.

17. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Yeah because the original owner (moron) did not order the optional wheel back in '83. I was in the exact same position as you when I bought my car in '01 and it was on my top priority to refurb the suspension bushings, shocks and put 16inch rims to run real rubber to enjoy the car - I really like enjoying the handeling of a car. Never looked back. Still have the set of beautiful TRX rims with very nice looking tires sitting in the back of the storage unit for all those platinum awards ;-).

I just could never waste that much money on a tire which has been crap for well over 25 years.

Anyway, hope you drive it more the the prior owners, they are loads of fun on nice country roads with a couple buddies in the mirror or out in front.

18. David308Gioia

David308Gioia Rookie

Jul 30, 2018
    Full Name:
    DavidSD
    I haven't completed the purchase. I'll post when purchase is finished. I do plan on driving to pickup the tires to avoid extra costs for shipping. The Los Angeles area warehouse isn't far from my home. It's about an hour maybe a little more away. Plus with all the low-life porch pirates, I don't want to leave this expensive purchase sitting at my door.

19. David308Gioia

David308Gioia Rookie

Jul 30, 2018
    Full Name:
    DavidSD
    Hello Everyone! Today it moved way up on my "to do" list. I purchased 5 new Michelin TRX tires from Coker Tire. Tires were $331 each (ouch). I added the road hazard on 4 of the 5 tires at $25 each tire. Bought 220/55VR390's. I was able to get a 10% discount with my Hagerty Drivers club. Code HAGERTYPLUS10. I also opted to have tires shipped to my home.
    For now I decided to stay with the OEM tires/tire size. In the future I may go with aftermarket wheels or wheels from another Ferrari model to maintain a 16 in diameter wheel with some newer style tires. Depends on future costs of the TRX's and availability.
    TRX's $331 x 5 = $1655
    Extended Tire Protection 4 x $25 = $100
    Tax = $130.40
    Shipping = $88.45
    Hagerty Discount = $165.50
    Total = $1808.35

Thanks again for all the great information and ideas. I appreciate all the support.

20. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Holy frack.... I guess I'll say... hope you're happy with them?

mike996 likes this.
  21. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    WOW! $$$

A the opposite end of the scale, my research has led me to purchase Firestone Firehawk Indy 500s for my '89 328.

22. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I’m using Firestone Indy 500s on my 2018 Alfa Giulia and I love them!!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

23. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    You have not even include the mount and balancing cost.

24. David308Gioia

David308Gioia Rookie

Jul 30, 2018
    Full Name:
    DavidSD
    Yes, this time around I opted to stay with the OEM metric wheels on the car. I may change my need to do this in the future. I'll keep the metric wheels so I have the OEM stuff. If I do change in the future, I'll go with something 16 in. for wheel size which will greatly lower my cost for tires, except for the cost of the wheels and maybe lug bolts.
    Yep, still have to mount and balance. More $$. I'm figuring maybe another $100 or so.

25. David308Gioia

David308Gioia Rookie

Jul 30, 2018
    Full Name:
    DavidSD
    Thought I'd share how old the current tires are on the car. I have 4 with date code from 2003. The spare is dated 2001 (I think). Very old. All tires look new from the outside. I know they do deteroriate overtime and you don't necessarily see it on the outside. The tread looks near new on all. I've been running 33psi cold on these old tires and being careful with how I drive the car because of the old rubber. Looking forward to how the car will feel with new tires.