488 - Asking price jumped overnight | Page 2 | FerrariChat

488 Asking price jumped overnight

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by FL410guy, Sep 29, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    I certainly agree that context is key, but often times the actual context is ambiguous. I think there are roughly two groups of individuals on Fchat: the group that $50,000 in depreciation probably should give someone pause, and the group that $50,000 in depreciation probably shouldn’t give someone pause. I was speaking directly to the latter. I was in that group for a decade. It paralyzed me from moving forward on a lifelong dream.

Also, worth noting too, that only $80,000 of the $230,000ish in depreciation has been realized. The other two cars are keeper cars and I intend to die with them in my possession. That long (hopefully quite long) ownership horizon also helps to lesson the psychic blow of depreciation.

Ultimately, I find myself solidly in the camp of not letting the price of admission keep you from enjoying the pleasure of the event.

of2worlds likes this.
  2. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    And I was speaking to the former, which I thought was a better fit for the guy in question......who openly asked for opinions concerning depreciation and market timing....which I'm VERY sure you would not do in your situation with your resources.

3. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Actually life IS too short hence why purchases of this type need to be made sooner than later. You can NEVER buy back time. Time is priceless!

If one doesnt want to lose money then better to not buy any car. Its much the same thing buying a car like this and then being too scared to use it in fear of losing money.

4. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    cant argue with that view

5. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    This is my way of dealing with depreciation. I just don't sell the car then I don't have to face the lower price and remind myself how much I have lost. I don't view cars as assets

6. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    The most enjoyable car purchase is the one where you lose all care or thought about the odo reading.

7. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    Absolutely. I am about to break 9k miles in FF and 6k miles in the 458.

AlfistaPortoghese and Shadowfax like this.
  8. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami
    So after sitting unsold for several months the day after I posted the above this car is now pending sale.
    Anyone on F-chat jump on this after seeing this post ?

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  9. FL410guy

FL410guy Karting

Apr 18, 2015
    Fort Lauderdale
    I haven’t seen that specific car...
    But after chit chatting with the sales guy at Ferrari of Seattle, i inquired about a car, and suddenly they have a full ask offer “pending”. It sat there for months prior.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

10. RoyalPink

RoyalPink Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2019
    Southern Utah
    Full Name:
    John D.
    As far as timing to buy a car and waiting for the right price in the market. It's like buying a computer or even property (price/interest rates) for that matter. If you wait for the lowest price. You'll always be waiting. Once you've made the conscious decision to buy. Then go buy at the lowest price you can negotiate of course.

11. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Find another car. There is no shortage of them out there

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  12. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Exactly- or have some fun and play the game.

SoCal to az likes this.
  13. RWP137

RWP137 Formula 3

Apr 29, 2013
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Rick
    As my search for the next continues I’ve noticed prices falling every week. Then, a couple weeks ago I noticed a few dealers increasing prices slightly (10%) on cars that had been stagnate. It’s as if they were trying to artificially create urgency and or stem falling market values.

Shadowfax likes this.
  14. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Or change your fishing spot.

15. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #40 Shadowfax, Oct 13, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
    I also think this is what's going on.....an attempt at creating the grand illusion. There are clearly far too many cars for sale for the used market to absorb at a price point which would return an acceptable price to the original purchaser hence why prices are now all over the place. Nobody really knows what to ask least of all take, and the buyers are reluctant to commit in fear of finding themselves in the same boat. The release of F8 added to even further cripple the situation created by Ferrari.....if that was even thought possible. It's a disaster at every level so it becomes a case where one needs to enter into the purchase accepting the fact that at one point a beating is inevitable.....hence why it's now so important to drive the pants out of it while you own it instead of thinking it's some precious object which should only be driven on special occasions.

AD211 likes this.
  16. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    At this point I'd just wait till the week tween xmas and new year with money in hand and have them all fight over each other trying to make their numbers.

17. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Agree a good plan. New year would be even better as then the car is officially another year older and worth even less again....and with Christmas done and holiday season happening most of the money is gone so anyone even showing the slightest interest will be nailed down into deals.

of2worlds likes this.
  18. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    find another dealer, plenty of cars out there...

19. ncm6cabrio

ncm6cabrio Formula Junior
    Owner

Jul 28, 2011
    Fayetteville, NC
    Full Name:
    Mike M.
    I've seen the same up/down pricing as I've been searching for a 488 or F12. The CarGuru website will show the price history of the car and the number of cars where the price goes down then back up is quite surprising.

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  20. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    When l was 12 a Ferrari drove by. Most amazing sound l ever heard. Started buying car mags with articles on Ferrari. Of course the articles all raved about how great the cars are. I don’t know the model of the car that drove by. But l vowed that someday l would own a Ferrari. That was 1957.

In June 2000 l bought a used F355 F1 GTS. One of the best sounding Fcars ever made. Then l heard an F355 with a Tubi exhaust and had to have it.

My kids are grown and all through school. I really don’t spend much money or travel. I look at the 458 Spider as a sunk cost and buy the $4,500 warranty every year because l don’t want to have to sell some assets in a down market for a new transmission or engine.

Owning the 458 Spider is as enjoyable to me as the house. In short, if you find a car you like and you can afford it BUY THE CAR!

IloveGT likes this.
  21. bml71

bml71 Karting

Mar 2, 2019
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bradd Lewis
    Plus 1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk