Ferrari Tool Kits & Accessories Picture Thread | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Ferrari Tool Kits & Accessories Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Rossocorsa1, Jan 15, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    Yes, the very early cars came with a wood box full of tools, some of which were for engine overhaul. I actually had one (can't remember why) but sold it off to my pal Jerry Rosenstock back around 1978. Ah, the things I should have hung onto! The very early parts books show the box and tools.

375+ and 275GTB like this.
  2. Lowell

Lowell Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 17, 2005
    Santa Fe, NM
    Full Name:
    Lowell Brown
  3. 275GTB

275GTB Formula 3

Jan 12, 2010
    London
    Full Name:
    Mark McCracken
    a 308 kit wouldn't have the "Ferrari" printed on the spanner, it would be part of the metal raised moulding when the spanner was originally cast. Also some early 308 kits had different makes of spanner.

4. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    As for 308 tool rolls, F-Chatter « piezo » (Steven) from Hong-Kong started a very useful thread on 308 tool rolls in 2015 ; 26 pages in which most, if not all, information about 308 tool rolls can be found.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/unofficial-308-tool-kit-specifications.505898/

Rgds

5. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    xplodee likes this.
  6. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Early 308 kits used Everest spanners.

7. Lowell

Lowell Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 17, 2005
    Santa Fe, NM
    Full Name:
    Lowell Brown
    My 1984 308 did not come with a tool kit. I bought one from a well-known suppler. My wrenches are are identical to those shown in post 521 on page 21 of the topic given in post 54 above:

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/unofficial-308-tool-kit-specifications.505898/

Unless you study the photos, my wrenches appear to be identical to those shown in post 26 above. They are different in that the angle off-sets are reversed. That is, to get the open wrench ends to be at the same angle, you have to turn the 308 wrench to the other side that does not say Ferrari.

CHROM VANADIUM KRAVM appears on this other side.

I once compared one of my 308 wrenches with one in the F50 tool kit. The two appeared to me to be exactly the same, with Ferrari appearing on both. But I did not check these angles, and I did not look at the reverse side.

8. 275GTB

275GTB Formula 3

Jan 12, 2010
    London
    Full Name:
    Mark McCracken

They are not identical to the spanners in post 26.

If you look carefully at post 26 spanners you will see that the "Ferrari" is in black letters, it is not embossed in the metal as part of the casting, it has been added later and is more of an etching, even a very durable transfer. I have seen i wear off on many spanners.

On your spanners the "Ferrari" is a raised metal inscription, which is part of the casting of the spanner. This is a totally different process from an earlier manufacturing time. The wording is not coloured black, it's just the untouched finished metal.

Also don't worry about the angles, I have had loads of these tool kits and very often the angles of the spanner heads versus the "Ferrari" or "CHROM VANADIUM KRAVM" does not match up. Sometimes you can get a set where they all point the same way with "Ferrari" facing up, other times not, there can be an odd one out. I also have had loads of tool kits that have "CHROM VANADIUM KRAVM" on both sides of the occasional spanner, again no consistency.

I can only assume the manufacturing process is more artisan rather than automated, hence so many variables.

These tool kits are great to look at, but the quality is shocking and the tools if you were to ever use them are really poor quality - not even comparable to say a Snap-on.

Also check on your tool kit, if you have a spark plug socket? If you do then your tool kit should have a 14mm combination ring spanner, instead of the double open ended spanner - I am sure in that long thread on 308/328 toolkits it is discussed somewhere.

cheers
    Mark

9. Lowell

Lowell Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 17, 2005
    Santa Fe, NM
    Full Name:
    Lowell Brown
    I do not understand the different spark plug tools. Mine and a universal joint between the two ends.

10. 275GTB

275GTB Formula 3

Jan 12, 2010
    London
    Full Name:
    Mark McCracken
  11. Lowell

Lowell Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 17, 2005
    Santa Fe, NM
    Full Name:
    Lowell Brown
  12. 275GTB

275GTB Formula 3

Jan 12, 2010
    London
    Full Name:
    Mark McCracken
    I am totally lost what you are looking for here, but all the information is there.

Firstly do you now agree the spanners are different, ie black lettering versus metal inscription - your spanners are not the same as F50 spanners?

The big thread on 308 tool kits is very comprehensive and if you read it all the answers are there.

The small thread on 328 tool kits - is pretty straight forward - it says there are very little variables.

You know you have a 308 car, i think the question is do you have a 308 or a 328 toolkit, or perhaps a combination? Just because you bought it from a well know supplier means nothing, as most of them haven't got a clue about tool kits / time periods / contents.

I have to go and some work now, but if you haven't figured it out later i will re-read the thread for you and try to answer.

Post some pictures of your toolkit and I am sure that will give us a lot of information and pointers to what is what.

13. Lowell

Lowell Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 17, 2005
    Santa Fe, NM
    Full Name:
    Lowell Brown
    I am pretty sure that the F50 open end wrenches did not have black lettering.

I have never seen an Enzo tool kit. The phots in this thread do not appear to me to have black Ferrari lettering. Have you seen one?

The spark plug tool is the same as that appearing in the 328 thread.

14. 275GTB

275GTB Formula 3

Jan 12, 2010
    London
    Full Name:
    Mark McCracken
    #65 275GTB, Aug 14, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    Ok here is where we are, you are confusing me, I am sure others and probably yourself.

Just post pictures of your tool kit and we maybe able to help you, as previously requested.

Read in detail the thread on the 308 tool kit, given that is your car rather than asking everyone to do it for you and all the associated questions - you may find the answers are already there.

Your post above #58 you say " my wrenches appear to be identical to those shown in post 26 above." The photos in post 26 are of an Enzo toolkit, as i stated in that post and photo - if they are identical to your tools in your 308 kit - simple you have the wrong tools.

Please read what i said in post 59

Post 63 - my apology, my mistake as you had me so confused:
    "Firstly do you now agree the spanners are different, ie black lettering versus metal inscription - your spanners are not the same as F50 spanners?"
    I should not have typed F50, I should have typed Enzo.

Simple your spanners are not the same as the Enzo spanners as in post 26 - unless you have the wrong for your kit - yes they maybe the same as an F50 - that was my mistake - I guess boredom, lack of concentration, doing someone else's research etc had all set in by this point. At least if they are the same as an F50 kit you is halfway there to being a 328 tool kit!

you stated "I am pretty sure that the F50 open end wrenches did not have black lettering. " you are totally correct as per my previous post on th F50 tool kit - which clearly shows the correct F50 spanners with a raised metal inscription - the black "Ferrari" lettering came in with the Enzo and other models around that time.

your next point: "I have never seen an Enzo tool kit. The phots in this thread do not appear to me to have black Ferrari lettering. Have you seen one?"

We have one Enzo in the collection (previously 2), and 3 spare Enzo tool kits in storage ( 2 from the factory never taken out of the box, other than my inspection), all are identical - as i stated earlier in the thread. The pictures i posted are the actual tool kits in the actual cars - they are 100% correct, i guarantee no one can dispute that.

We have 2 F50 in the collection, again the tool kit pictures i posted are from the actual cars, we also have 3 spare F50 tool kits in storage - again all identical.. - no one can dispute

F40 like wise - but only one spare tool kit in storage, 288 GTO same, actual photos of the cars tool kit - only on spare tool kit in storage - i know it is 100% correct.

I am not trying to be a total pain in the arse just trying to help.

please post pictures of your tool kit and i am sure there are plenty of people on the forum that can help to make sure you have the correct one, or what's wrong and missing with what you have.

I am done with this, what started as a nice little thread sharing out toolkits, luggage etc etc has turned into another total bore on FerrariChat, there are plenty of other thread to discuss the problems with your cars and missing bits, wrong tool kits etc - i thought this thread was just self indulgent pleasure in the finer detail......which actually turns into massive reference and intelligence in our love, hobby and passion.

good luck

15. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    You are correct. I started tanks thread as a cool place to enjoy all the little unique accessories that Ferrari’s come with. Let’s get back to that. Thanks.

16. 275GTB

275GTB Formula 3

Jan 12, 2010
    London
    Full Name:
    Mark McCracken
    #67 275GTB, Aug 15, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
    ok here is a nice little item to get us back on track, and one that may solve a lot of peoples questions......or will it create a lot more questions?

I was trying to nail down once and for all the correct toolkit for the correct model, all these cars have very similar looking tool kits: 575 Superamerica, 575M, 550, 360, 360 CS and 612

From my research, the outer appearance of all the cases looks the same or very very similar, but on the inside there are small differences. This is what i have found from my research.........

The Ferrari 575 Superamerica tool kit, differs from the standard 575M as it has the hex T-bar tool cut into the foam, small older style halogen headlight bulb:
    [​IMG]
    the standard Ferrari 575M Maranello tool kit, manual and F1 car (no T-bar):

[​IMG]

The Ferrari 550 Maranello (and 550 Barchetta) tool kit, distinguishable by the 6 fuse arrangement and the different shape of the screwdriver handle?:

[​IMG]

The Ferrari 612 tool kit, easily distinguishable from the fuse arrangement, same screwdrivers as the 550:

[​IMG]

I believe this is a standard Ferrari 360 tool kit, F1 & Manual car - but initially it looks the same as the 575 Superamerica tool kit (it has the T-bar), the difference is main beam headlight bulb is the newer larger version
    , the other distinguishing feature of both the 360 & 360CS from any 575 tool kit, is the fuse and bulb arrangement - so it looks like both 360 kits have 5 large fuses versus only 4 in the 575 kits (the 360 having an extra 20 amp large fuse).

Also the 360 kits have 4 small light bulbs versus the 3 small light bulbs in the 575 kits, plus the 360 kits have the orange glass indicator bulb, the 575 kits do not.

[​IMG]

Ferrari 360 Challenge Stradale Tool Kit, this differs from the standard Ferrari 360 tool kit, note the different tool arrangement with the wheel socket cut into the set. the titanium wheel bolts on the CS have a 17 mm hex opening.

[​IMG]

Point to note: 360s originally came with conventional halogen headlight bulbs, but at some point the 575M-type high performance headlight bulbs became available as options and then standard I think. So the 360 could have either of the bulbs (conventional halogen headlight bulbs or high performance), depending on the original spec selected, and the factory assembly line were smart enough to put the correct bulb kit in to that specific car.

17. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

Very interesting. Thanks for the details.

18. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005