360 - Replace variators or replace whole camshafts? | FerrariChat

360 Replace variators or replace whole camshafts?

Discussion in '360/430' started by RedNeck, Oct 7, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    So I'm putting together my next major, where I will be having my variators and tensioners replaced since I have no record or indication of them being done as the campaigns required. Apparently, the variator replacement process is a huge pain in the butt and often results in extreme measures to remove the variator from the camshaft. So it makes me wonder if, since the camshaft has to come out anyway, would it just be better to find some low mileage examples with the new style variators and have them stuck in to eliminate the need to "break" the old variators from the cams.

Seems like there are horror stories AFTER the variator replacements, that I tend to believe may be caused by the excessive stress caused by variator removal, and it seems that most of the labor cost is spent fighting with the variator anyway.

Another option would be to buy a NEW right hand camshaft, which can be found pretty cheap by Ferrari standards, and then either use a used camshaft for the left side, or just have the variator replaced traditionally.

Thoughts on this?

2. Some Guy in the sky

Some Guy in the sky Formula Junior

Sep 19, 2018
    There is no easy answer to this one. You are smarter than me because I didn't take these choices into consideration until after the variators were taken of my cams (less than a year ago). I didn't want to go the used cam route because my paranoia didn't like the idea of putting cams into my engine from a car that I didn't know the history of. Sounds unreasonable even as I type that but I just couldn't get over it. Also I didn't go the new cam route because at the time it was cost prohibitive. I would say the best person you could talk to is Vince Hill at Black Horse motorwerks in the Kansas City area at 913-942-1222 because he is the one who did mine on top of the fact that mine and your car were probably on the line at the same time and built in a very similar way. If I remember correctly he had to get a tool built just for this job, but I maybe incorrect on that. You might want to try to get in contact with FNA just to see if you can get any support for the process. I highly doubt it, but its worth a try.

Performify and RedNeck like this.
  3. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I've thought about this and the variator stuck on the shaft sounds like it ends up bending the camshaft or ruining an otherwise good camshaft trying to get the stupid thing off.

I had an issue last summer when I brought my 36o in for a new clutch. The tech overtightened the clutch pump line to the (Hill engineering btw) bleed block SO MUCH that the fitting partly rounded when I tried to get it off.
    I took out the bleed block and use a dremel to cut a groove at 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock on top of and below the clutch line fitting. I then used a chisel to hit the bleed block along the groove. This cracked the bleed block and gave the fitting some clearance that I could unscrew it.

I'm wondering if I have to replace the variators if this might not be a bad way to get the old variator off. To cut a groove at the 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock position where it screws on the camshaft, then use a chisel to spread the variator apart and unscrew it from the camshaft.

RedNeck likes this.
  4. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    You can get them off without damage but not using the book method. They have to be machined off or drilled like a rifle bore. Once the variator is off the rest of the bolt comes right out (no longer in tension).

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

RedNeck likes this.
  5. voicey

voicey Formula 3

Jul 29, 2009
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Aldous Voice
    I've done five 360 engine rebuilds in the last 12 months and have changed the variators on each occasion (so 10 total). Each time they came off with the minimum of fuss. I suggest you try to remove them before worrying about anything else.

6. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Thanks all, I should add that this is one of the few things that I will be outsourcing to a pro. I've been in contact with the mechanic and he had mentioned that the variators sometimes need cut off, and just from the stories I've heard from others, I'm most likely overthinking it. I'm supplying the parts so I will just wait it out unless I hear differently after the car is apart.

@voicey , 5 engine rebuilds on 360's is a scary thought, what were the reasons the engines required it?

7. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Yes, getting them off the second time is easier. On the early cars they over tightened them and you often can't get them off with the cams in the car without damaging the cam. Once they have been replace and properly torqued, it is pretty straight forward. It is also easier on later cars. BUT, if you are taking everything apart it isn't hard to pull the cams if needed.

8. Some Guy in the sky

Sep 19, 2018
    It also seems (from a sample size of one) that they were very liberal with their use of loctite on the variators/cam in the early cars. This loctite seemed to be the major problem when removing the variators on my car.

9. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Which is strange, as the workshop manual states not to use a locking agent

10. Some Guy in the sky

Sep 19, 2018
    There have been alot of weird things with my car. I have some parts that are not supposed to be on my car given my assembly number (oil cooler and lines that were supposed to only be on cars up to assembly number 33358, mine is after that). I have the 355 horn, I have a different immobilizer than the one listed. There is no history of my car being delivered with a tool kit and the one I find the most interesting is that every interior panel I have pulled off has the number 116039 written on a piece of tape (not my vin number). As far as my documentation, which goes back to october of 1999, states that none of these things have been changed so I am assuming they come from the factory. Anyway my point is that these early cars have alot of weird things about them, at the same time, it could just be mine.

11. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    i think you can keep the cams, I did replace the variations however,

12. CCRider66

CCRider66 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 29, 2014
    Sussex, WI
    Full Name:
    Brian
    One of mine broke, the other my local expert didn't seem to have the toughest of times replacing the second. Right tools, experience and you should be fine. I've got 400 miles on it so far, so good!

13. Some Guy in the sky

Sep 19, 2018
    Any update on this situation?

14. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Bingo. But actually you remove them the same way you remove a barrel from a Remington 700. It easy and certainly not worth the expense of replacing a cam. Thats just silly.
    Original variators were installed too tight and doing it the factory way resulted in wrecking a lot of cams.
    Replacement variators usually come off easily.

15. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I haven't scheduled my service yet, but I did buy the variators with the rest of the parts. The world-renowned Ferrari mechanic who spends his time working on Ferraris rather than trolling internet message boards insulting people to make himself feel better, did not think it would be beneficial for labor savings to replace the whole camshafts since their may be differences in clearances between the old and new camshafts, so I am going for the traditional method of replacing the variators. He did warn that they might end up having to pull the cam, but for the peace of mind knowing that I have the correct version of the parts, worth it. Spent about 1500 on parts, including all belts, both tensioners, variators, HE bearings, estimated around $3k for labor, allowing for some frustration in pulling the variators. Another place quoted me $4k for the variators alone, not including the belt service.

16. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Matt- No need for insults. Just the facts.

17. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Those were facts.

18. Some Guy in the sky

Sep 19, 2018
    #18 Some Guy in the sky, Jan 8, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
    Sounds good, the only other thing you might want to think about is the updated left hand tensioner bracket and bolts. Here is a blurb from the WSM
    and
    Also 3k seems alittle low, is he going to do a proper dial gauge timing as well?

19. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    That estimate is for labor only, I bought all the parts, including both left and right side tensioners. It will have to be timed since the variations will need to be removed.

20. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I'm reviving this thread...either I ask too many questions or something, because it seems the tech I have been talking to has given up on my quest for knowledge about the surgery my car will be going under...I can't seem to get a straight answer about total labor cost (almost doubled after getting original ballpark estimate, see thread https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/fair-cost-for-variator-replacement.629084/) ,or method used to free the variators from the camshafts.

My car is an early '99, so there is a 99% chance the variators wont be able to be removed from the camshafts while in car...and I am not comfortable with Ferrari's method anyway. I can either spend a few grand and buy new camshafts to go along with my new variators (in which case I would be nearly the same $$$), or I can by both camshafts, including variators, from a 15k mile 2004 for about a grand and just replace the whole assemblies myself....problem is, then I would most likely have to bring someone in to degree the cams.

Am I oversimplifying this? Seems at this point like it would be a hell of a lot less work just to throw cams with factory-installed variators in there and forget the whole thing. I've heard there may be issues with clearances, but one would thing replacing one camshaft for the same would not be an issue...unless there are subtle differences between years...and I am not aware of any.

21. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    I’m no pro, and not vet done variators (mine not due yet).

Not sure what spending the extra money will get you. If you have the cams out and new variators just pass them off to a competent machinist.

From what I’ve read if they don’t come off “relatively” easily, have him grind or turn some of the metal at the base of the variator at the attachment where the variator contacts the cam and this should free the variator from the cam.

I would reserve the used cams only for catastrophe because.

1- you will loose your factory marks for your engine timing. Used cams will have their own old marks.

2- in the wsm IIRC variators are recommended for replacement at 60k miles. You lose 15k of those (that is if the miles listed are accurate). May not be important.

3- possibly clearances as you mentioned

4- with used engine parts you never know what problems you are buying.

Not sure why you have such agita over degreeing. Is there a reason the original factory marks on your original cams with new variators can’t just be used for reassembly? Why would they change?

Perhaps I’m over simplifying it but it’s static marks on mechanical parts. As long as you are at TDC on proper stroke (crank), and the marks on the ends of all 4 cams align you should be timed as the car left the factory.

Then I would follow the procedure in the WSM and double check by degreeing. You always have the factory scribed marks to fall back on if you have your original cams.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

22. Jb-Slow

Jb-Slow Karting

May 11, 2020
    I would never put used internal engine parts into another engine, those parts have worn together in their original engine, not yours. There could be all sorts of bad things coming from mismatched wear patterns and weird clearances because of it. You may have no problems at all when you go to do it, I would wait to see what happens before stressing over it or shelling out extra cash.

360+Volt=Prius likes this.
  23. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    There are only two issues that you (Redneck) seem to be worried about.

1. Replacement of the variator in or out of the car.
    2. Degreeing the cams again

Frankly, both are very doable everyday with the right skills and tools. What's the hold up?

Skidkid and 360+Volt=Prius like this.
  24. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Mitchell has this right. Just pull the cams and get on with it. As I recall, FBB wrote a great thread on degreeing cams.

25. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    They wouldn't change, and having the motor-specific marks there makes a good point. I guess I don't see it as spending "extra" cash, because it seems like it may actually be comparable, or maybe even more cost effective than to have someone put hours upon hours of machining into a project, or stress out the cam by grabbing it by the tail end and twisting the **** out of it. I've heard of multiple "post variator" failures, and I would have to believe that method would contribute to that. Degreeing the cams to me just makes sense since the procedure is so invasive, it's a perfect time to get the engine running as good as it can possibly run. My car has 56k miles on it....so getting dangerously close to end of life on these. Another 60k miles? Do Ferraris even do that? ;)

Well, I'm a big, fat poo-say! As said, I have an early '99, which means the original variators have a high chance of being difficult to remove using the "campaign method", which I have been warned by multiple techs that there is a risk of stressing the cam or bending valves if performed in-car. so I would want the variators removed using as little force as possible. I don't have the equipment to machine them out myself...and after getting estimates from Ferrari techs, it seems like between the shipping and labor cost, it's almost more cost to get a lower mileage engine off ebay, and swap it in my garage.

Or I could just pull the cams, send them to someone to drill out, use the factory timing marks and go on with my life...but I'd always know if the cams weren't degreed properly, the engine will never run as well as it could. I've done almost all the work on this car since I've owned it, and I would actually love to tackle it, this is just something that needs done properly