Octane vs Octane/ethanol | FerrariChat

Octane vs Octane/ethanol

Discussion in '612/599' started by afwrench, Oct 8, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. afwrench

afwrench Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2004
    NY
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Where I am at I can get 91 with no Ethanol or 93 with Ethanol. I have a number of cars with carbs some multiple and find that they definitely run better on the 91.On my 599 I wonder if there is any advantage to running the 93 with E vs the 91 without. The car runs great with the 91. Thanks,Mike

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    The 93 with ethanol is probably just the 91 without ethanol with some ethanol added ;) (Really - using ethanol to boost the octane rating is about it's only legitimate use.)

What is the minimum octane spec given for your 599? (The F spec is usually RON while what's shown on US gas pumps is AKI so they can't be compared directly.)

3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The big advantage of ethanol free fuel is that it is easier on older rubber components. Ethanol raises octane, but reduces the efficiency of the fuel because it only has about 2/3 the energy per volume compared to gasoline. Late model cars are designed to have alcohol resistant componentry.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  4. Da Butcher

Da Butcher Karting

Jan 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jose Marie Alandy
    Mike,

What is the percentage of additive ethanol, E10 or E15? Is that 93 from Amoco?

Reason why I inquire is due to a recent article I read warning about fueling up with E15 or higher content of ethanol.

Likewise as a supplier to World Rally, Formula 1 and Indycar teams years ago, we had to change the type of elastomer seals in our products to ensure that the rubber wouldn't excessively swell which negatively affected the dynamic performance and ability of valves to fully shut off and caused dangerous leakage of fuel.

I'm not certain when Ferrari upgraded the rubber type in their cars. In a Forza article written by Ferrari expert Michael Sheehan regarding long term reliability of the 550/575, he mentioned that its fuel pump can be susceptible to leaking. Interesting that when the 550/575 models were being developed circa early 90's, a lot of the more modern elastomers available today had not yet been formulated or were still undergoing extensive lab tests.

5. afwrench

afwrench Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2004
    NY
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks for the input guys. Car runs great on the 91 and with my multi carbed cars the non ethanol is superior. Sunoco 93 is available here with ethanol. Mike

6. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Jose- Leaking fuel on the 550/575M is usually the result of a cracked fuel pump cover, and occasionally a bad gasket. One of my fuel pump covers cracked.