Shift shaft seal (again) | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Shift shaft seal (again)

Discussion in '308/328' started by jrairplane, Nov 5, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jagerocks

Jagerocks Karting

Sep 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    JASON
  2. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    With 2 people, the shift shaft is pretty easy to put back in.

Just take your time and get it RIGHT ... AND TIGHT.

One person can do it, but it is best to use a little 'jig' that is 'jammed' into the shift-gate to immobilize the shift lever in a particular place within the shift-gate while aligning and tightening the shaft with the shift-fork in the proper location for this execrise.

Maybe someone here has a pic they can post.

3. Jagerocks

Jagerocks Karting

Sep 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    JASON
    Ya I will take my time installing the shaft back in. I will in the mean time pick out the 2 shaft seals and clean the pans. I see the seals are punch in place to keep them there in 3 places. I'll do the same on install.

4. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    dont take out the washers, pick out the seals with a bent wire

5. Jagerocks

Jagerocks Karting

Sep 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    JASON
    Ok but I dont see or recognize the washer. Is it in the outside of the seal.

6. Jagerocks

Jagerocks Karting

Sep 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    JASON

7. Jagerocks

Jagerocks Karting

Sep 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    JASON

8. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    The seal is just an o-ring sitting behind the washer which staked in with some punch marks into the side of the case wall. Just get a stiff wire or dental pick and get it under the washer and scoop out.

9. Jagerocks

Jagerocks Karting

Sep 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    JASON
    Ok, but then what was the 2 shaft shifter seal i order for if they are just o rings.

10. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    The o-ring was used on early 308. For later 308/328, they went to the seal. But the swagged-in thrust washer should not be removed on either -- so the removal/installation is the same (i.e., you deform the o-ring or seal to get it out and in of the groove formed by the casting and the swagged-in washer).

mwr4440 likes this.
  11. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    "...what was the 2 shaft shifter seal i order for if they are just o rings."

Welcome to Ferrariland, an o-ring can have many names and even more prices :)

12. Jagerocks

Jagerocks Karting

Sep 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    JASON
    Heres the seals i ordered

13. Freddie328

Freddie328 Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2013
    Herts, UK
    Full Name:
    Richard
    It will be interesting to see what Superformance supply you and how long they last. I've read on previous threads that they supply lip seals with the lip in tension on the shaft by a spring type arrangement, rather than the Cup seal as originally fitted. These lip seals haven't received great reviews.
    Another small tip - don't put the shifter shaft fork back where you marked it until your sure it was adjusted correctly at the time of making the mark! Take the opportunity of adjusting it to a spot on position.

thorn likes this.
  14. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    Jason, Mine had o-rings in there and I replaced them with x-seals (quad seals.) Not sure if the o-rings were original-- perhaps not. Not sure if someone already mentioned but de-glaze the shaft where it goes through the seal with 800-1200 paper. The tiny scratches carry some oil to lube the seal.

absostone likes this.
  15. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    I used 1000 wet and then dry by hand to match the finish and to remove the years of the metal being polished by the seal. it matched perfectly. it took a whole 40 seconds to do I polish stone for a living

16. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    btw this is how a pro indy shop left my shift shaft, which is why it leaked oil into \and out of my trans vent

17. Jagerocks

Jagerocks Karting

Sep 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    JASON
    THANKS everyone for the 2cents. All helps. I'm used to air cooled Porsches. My 1st Ferrari.
    I will clean the shaft and I will inspect the seals i take out and compare to replacements.
    A question i have is. Why do you say NOT to remove the washers in front of seals. You can always repunch them in so they wont come out. Or is there a problem?

18. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Making harder than it has to be...

19. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    There's no need to do it, and if you do it just makes more work for yourself.

Freddie328 likes this.
  20. Jagerocks

Jagerocks Karting

Sep 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    JASON
    K. When the seal shows up I'll give it a go.
    I mean this is why I joined the chatt site for help. You guys have allot more experience on 308s than me.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

absostone likes this.
  21. Jagerocks

Jagerocks Karting

Sep 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    JASON
    How long is this repair suppose to take, I heard from 2hrs to 9hrs....mmm only took me half hour to loose the parts.

22. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    don't worry about time, worry about good and clean, ...what takes time is for all the oil to stop dripping down on your new gaskets and sealing surfaces before assembly

23. Jagerocks

Jagerocks Karting

Sep 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    JASON