Ferrari Will Keep Making Fewer Cars Than The Market Demands | FerrariChat

Ferrari Will Keep Making Fewer Cars Than The Market Demands

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Booker, Sep 20, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Booker

Booker Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa Miami 2018

Aug 1, 2016
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Jack Booker
    DGPF and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  2. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    They build way too many cars and have diluted the marque.

3. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    They state the 812 SF has a 2-3 year waiting list now, that's simply not the case with my dealer (USA).

Walk in today and there's an allocation readily available.

4. Dean Palmer

Dean Palmer Formula Junior

May 21, 2010
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    Dean Palmer
    I think those that want a new one will be patient, but seems like lately the overall selection at a lot of dealers is pretty extensive. More than I recall in past years. Was wondering if there was a lull in sales lately.

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  5. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    It doesn’t. Ferrari is playing with words.

Of course they’ll increase volume. It’s impossible not to, not with this new strategy of theirs. Anything else is cooking numbers.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

Boomhauer, paulchua and DGPF like this.
  6. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    I think they will increase production of their entry level vehicles while decreasing production of the higher priced ones to make them more exclusive.

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  7. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    If one looks at the results of the recent Monterey-Pebble Beach auctions, it is clear that the market for collectible cars other than the 'one-of-a-kind' rarities has become extremely soft. That must translate into a soft market in new Ferraris. And Lambos and even Porsches.

Here's Hagerty's take on the Monterey sales:

"Although a few more major sales will likely finalize over the next day or two, the preliminary totals fell short of expectations and lagged behind 2018 results of $370M by $125.4M (-34%). This amount is the lowest tally since 2011’s $197M. Standard measures like average sale price ($319,610 vs. $436,849), median sale price ($24,200 vs. $29,700), and sell-through rate (58 percent vs. 62 percent were all down, as was performance against estimate (the average high bid was 16 percent below the low estimate this year vs. 10 percent last year). With all these statistics signaling a slumping market...."

A similar softness was experienced at the Saratoga Automobile Auctions run this past weekend.

8. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East

I wouldn't get too hung up on these numbers, the market has always moved up and down and is usually a precursor to the economy. Buy the right cars now, sit and wait and you will see them pop down the road.

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  9. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Thank you for sharing the data and the insight with us, Seth.

I’m struggling to find the main reason for this softening of prices... A simple case of strong economy and returns on the market = less interest in buying rare supersports cars?

Kind regards,

Nuno.

10. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Ferrari has increased production year over year to keep up with demand. If they really wanted to stick to their roots, production numbers would be the same as when they were building the 328, 412 and TR.

Can't do it now, they are public. Expect year over year increases in production and even more models saturating the market. The Ferrari we knew growing up is long gone.

Texas Forever likes this.
  11. bob_Uk

bob_Uk Karting

Oct 13, 2016
    Here's a thought. Production increases due to shareholders. Majority voting shareholders are family and not too worried as they have cash and control. Something goes wrong - economy/volume/model range growth/Europe recession etc. Share price falls, family takes back Ferrari into private hands. Volumes decrease back and range contracts as family wants a sustainable high demand product and have enough cash already to look long term....

Five years I would think if it is going to happen.

Of course opposite could happen and the share price climbs and climbs while everything else around it struggles.

Texas Forever and pilotoCS like this.
  12. Elisesko

Elisesko Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 27, 2016
    If it stops being a growth story, they could raise the dividend and return a portion of the profit per sale back to the shareholders in the form of cash. Growth story is fun but return of capital also works.

13. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    I think some are believing an economic recession is near and are simply waiting to reap the believed benefit of even lower prices due to the perceived imminent recession....why buy high now when next year you can buy more for less?

tbakowsky likes this.
  14. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    The smart by at the bottom, or where they feel their money returns the best value. I have a few clients with massive car collections all built on bottom dollar values. Their collections are at this point an investment..an Aston bought at 20k is now 200k..even if it drops 50% they are well above water.

15. F456 V12

F456 V12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2004
    Coto de Caza
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Sorry folks, not the case. They have shareholders, a board of directors and Wall Street expectations on YoY Revenue growth, profitability and marketshare targets. Anything less will punish the stock, Ferrari is in the car business to sell cars, not to protect owners from depreciation and market forces. So to think the brand gives a rip about a bunch of wealthy owners by controlling supply is just a wishful thought. Even for the new halo car, Ferrari will build as many as potential owners are willing to buy. It ain't Enzo's company any longer, sorry boys.

MB

Jasonberkeley likes this.
  16. DanielDaniel

DanielDaniel Rookie

Jun 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Ferrari are making alot of new cars now and some of the cars ...looks almost the same design and is getting confusing ....what is what ...all look the same

...owners have not even had time to enjoy the new delivered car

and here we go again ....the new model is out ready to take orders and is getting very confusing

and best is to buy Ferrari Classic Car and is Beautiful and is Elegance ......not mass production

17. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    In regards to production, I'm curios to see what others experience....

Down here I see at least 3-6 Ferrari's a day on average (yes, I count). IMO that seems like a lot. Is it just a south Florida thing or do you frequently see Ferraris in your neck of the woods?

Growing up in Ohio it was a major event to see a Ferrari on the road. Now it seems normal, almost common. Perhaps I've just become jaded but I can't help but fear with every ramp in production and model increase they get closer to becoming Porsche.

18. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I often say FChatters living in South Florida, LA, and the Hamptons live in La La land. You can't draw conclusions to the rest of the country. I haven't seen a Ferrari on the road besides mine in like months

F456 V12 and kes7u like this.
  19. Scott98

Scott98 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2004
    Weston, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Funny thing here too is when you see an exotic, it’s almost always a newer one. Even 360s are becoming a rare sight. But everyone’s got a 488, 458, Huracan or Aventador. Don’t see Murcielagos anymore either - too old. We have an annual toys for tots exotic car event with about 300 exotics. Last year there was only one 360 which belonged to one of the organizers. Even the 430s were starting to dwindle. And there were probably 60+ Ferraris there. It really is La La land.

20. F456 V12

F456 V12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2004
    Coto de Caza
    Full Name:
    Christian
    So true, in the OC exotics are an every day occurrence and to the contrary the likes of a BMW and Merc can be very rare in many parts of the country as well. I remember visiting my daughter when she was at State College, PA...lot's of Fords and Chevy's, hardly a Euro import to be seen.

MB

vrsurgeon likes this.