Who has owned both Gen 2 & Gen 3 Vipers | FerrariChat

Who has owned both Gen 2 & Gen 3 Vipers

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by Meister, Oct 3, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Hi, Last summer I picked up a 98 Gen 2 RT/10. I always wanted one, but not red/blk like the one I bought so I flipped it at the end of the summer to a buddy. I loved the 98 with the 708 cam. The styling of the Gen 2's really appeal to me. They stand out more than later models and have a classic look. I'm looking to get back into a viper next year or so. I've never been crazy about the exterior restyle of the Gen 3's but the full convertible is appealing. Just wondering what actual owners of both had to say on G2 vs G3. Is a Gen 3 more refined (assuming) than previous years. Does it still express that uncivilized american exotic feel that the G1/G2's exuded? looking for overall driving and usability reflections. thanks.

anunakki likes this.
  2. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    i had a gen3 conv briefly alongside my 96gts. very similar. slightly more refined but i prefer the gen 2 blue w white stripes coupe above all else.

anunakki likes this.
  3. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Only owned GenII but driven GenIII many times. GenII is my choice

rdefabri likes this.
  4. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    Tried both - both blue/white coupes ('06 Launch Edition). Gen 3 was souped-up a little, so not really a direct comparison - Gen 3 has a few more amenities (ABS!), though still no traction control or rear-wheel steer or start-stop or any of that stuff. Between the two, would go with the best example. Two equal cars, I'd lean toward the classic Gen 2 ('96/'97 Blue/White GTS) - was a cool throwback even its day.

5. blkfxstc

blkfxstc Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2016
    TX
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I've owned a 99GTS, 06 vert, and 09 ACR. Opinion between the 99 and 06:

06 is the better driving car, faster, better brakes, etc., otherwise, everything else is better in the 99 to me (looks, 708 cam, interior (99 and up only), rawness, etc.). If I were buying again between the two, it would be a 99 only (708 cam, forged internals, updated interior).

6. GTS Bruce

GTS Bruce Pisses in your Cheerios

Oct 10, 2012
    Orchard Park NY
    Full Name:
    Bruce Roche
    Best choice may be a late model gen 2 gts that has ABS brakes(2002). Before abs the rear wheel cylinders were too small for any kind of effective braking. Some bored out those rear brake calipers and used a larger puck for more effective braking. Before abs the weak rear brake set up was designed to prevent rear lock up.I still found the 2002 brakes to be semi adequate and had installed a stop tech big brake kit all around. Make your eyes pop out brakes.
    GTS Bruce

7. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Thanks everyone for the insight so far. My holy grail would be a 1999 RT/10 silver with the cognac interior. Only 50 made in that color combo. I had a deal for one in CA (I'm in MN). Two days before my flight a 00' or 02' (I forget which) gray and black RT/10 came up for sale in northern IL for the same $. I bailed on my deal in CA (to serious dismay of the seller) and went with the intent to buy the gray one. The car in IL was a total bust and I lost the silver 99. Still kicking myself about that.

The 98 I had, had a belanger exhaust and brembo brake upgrade and it was plenty of performance for what I need these days. The only appeal to me of the Geb 3 is the full convertible layout