Spare Wheel Liner Removal | FerrariChat

Spare Wheel Liner Removal

Discussion in '206/246' started by cls, Oct 3, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Any tips on removing the spare wheel well fiberglass liner? It looks like at least the heater ducts have to be removed (at a quick glance) and the fiberglass looks like it might be sealed to the front firewall.
    Anyone done it that can chime in?

2. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Sorry to sound so simple in saying this, but do so with ease and caution. There are lots of old plastic things just waiting to break.

Shawn

3. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    This will be a tough decision as you can not extract the whole fiberglas piece and you must make a cut somewhere. The passenger side heater duct is a good candidate as it keeps the cut small and you can flex that side wing in removing.

How did they get such a big piece of fibreglas inside the smaller shell opening?
    They did not.

The Dino frame was first fabricated out of welded tubes, the fiberglas molded parts installed in the frame and the body then placed over it all.

From the Jan Norbye Dino book

Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Quite interesting, thanks. Isn't the wheel liner two pieces? It seems like it would come out with little flexing after removing ducts, clutch cable, fuse box, and heater water lines. At least the pictures of the reproduction liners are two pieces, so maybe that's the difference?

5. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    My experience is with E series, yours may be different. I would start drilling out the rivets along the edges and see what you have to work.. You may be able to flex and shift it around to remove it. I wasn't able tro, here are the parts

Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Post 114 in OMG Johns first restoration post shows the intact tub setting on the ground after he took it out.

7. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    synchro likes this.
  8. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thanks Peter, I also found Jon's picture on his website. I like your cut better.

9. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Smart move as that allows the passenger's side to flex down and allows egress