Teams at odds over post-2024 F1 engine formula | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Teams at odds over post-2024 F1 engine formula

Discussion in 'F1' started by william, Oct 5, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Echo of the 1961 Italian GP at Monza.
    Collision between Jim Clark and Wolfgang Von Trips at the approach of the Parabolica.
    Von Trips moved to his left for a better trajectory, unaware that Clark was about to pass him on the outside.
    Clark's right front wheel touched Von Trips left rear wheel and sent the Ferrari into a spin towards the earth bank and the public enclosure.
    Von Trips died, and so did 11 spectators.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  2. Sig. Roma

Sig. Roma Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2007
    Bella Italia
    Full Name:
    Dom T.
    I would agree with you on China's pollution problems. I was last in Beijing about 12 years ago, and the place was a pollution mess. But I disagree re the electrification of the auto industry. First, the resources required for both batteries and electric motors is available in China, Japan and Australia. Australian mines are already either far eastern owned or sold out to far eastern companies. Not sure about Japan, and China for sure will only export what it believes will help it achieve dominance by 2025.

3. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Well, increasingly authorities in Europe are thinking about banning vehicles that are not carbon-free from city centres, leaving access only to hybrid cars with ICE switched off, and electric vehicles.
    Already 8 cities have signed the pact in France, some in Germany, and Britain will follow.
    So, people who live in those cities or need to bring their car in, won't have much choice.
    Also, the European Union (that is 27 countries) in its wisdom plans to stop the sale of ICE cars by 2030.
    That is almost certain to pass legislation, thanks to the growing ecology lobby in parliament, and the support of France and Germany, the dominating countries in the Union. I think it's already law in France.
    Electrification is forced on us, and the auto industry will have to adapt.

4. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    F1 and other forms of racing should let the fans dictate whats best. At the end of the day the fans are footing the bill. No fans means no sponsorship, no money and no sport. Having said that i think most fans will be happy as long as ICE is used, no matter the configuration.

william likes this.
  5. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I agree; motor racing is one area where ICE should be allowed to survive.
    But F1 will probably have to do without the involvement of motor manufacturers which are its main investors at the moment.

ktu likes this.
  6. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery

7. Sig. Roma

Sig. Roma Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2007
    Bella Italia
    Full Name:
    Dom T.
    I'm just going by the forecasts I have seen, and the latest number from published sources are all over the place. I remember seeing one not to long ago (and my source is Automotive News, and industry must read, but may not be the source) said 10% of the new cars sold globally will be electric. And I think the year was 2030. The number was about 5 million new electric vehicles from 50 million new cars sold.

I think people in those cities will either take the buses, train, tram or have an electric cars (only in those areas where they will be required to), or not go there at all.

8. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I can well believe this global forecast, but Europe will have a greater proportion of electric cars than the rest of the world.

Most people living in big cities don't use cars anymore, and many don't have one.
    I am a great supporter of public transport, and didn't use cars for weeks when I lived in Paris or London.
    In France, they even talk about free public transport in big cities in future, to completely eradicate the use of private cars !!!

9. Sig. Roma

Sig. Roma Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2007
    Bella Italia
    Full Name:
    Dom T.
    Not sure I agree on Europe, but I can believe China given the pollution. We know the ridiculous fees places like London charge (and what Bhm, Manchester et el) are putting into place for the future. My guess, no one in cities will have a car except one parked outside the "congestion" zone.

william likes this.
  10. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

I would consider London a big city, but clearly you don't spend much time there, and are unfamiliar with the actuality.
    There are waiting lists for private parking bays in high density zones starting at £20K a pop. Public parking bays around town are normally full.

A clean petrol engine is not really a contributor to global problems, while a diesel engine certainly is.
    China's coal factories are likely the biggest single contributor to global health issues:
    https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/09/190913080749.htm

stavura and daytona355 like this.
  11. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    The west needs to wait for the Asian countries to clean up their act, because it really doesn’t make much difference to anything if Europe gives up its ICE cars if China doesn’t stop polluting on the gross scale it does, and can anyone see China listening to the west? No ****ing way, they don’t care so long as they keep collecting dollars

Forza Ferrari..... the only racing team and car marque that matters. Italia forever It’s easier to apologise than it is to ask permission

Nortonious, stavura and SimCity3 like this.
  12. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    #87 I'm 360 Canuck, Oct 9, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
    Canada’s a funny place. Other than Vancouver, not much of our population live by the coasts. And it’s a big country, with a spread out population (other than around Toronto), so transmission of electricity is a real problem. So much of our hydro electric power comes from either nuclear or gas powered plants.

We used to have a summer cottage on a lake about an hour outside the city...an average bill for a month in the summer was about $100....about$18 for electricity, the remaining $82 was delivery fees and taxes. Clearly itemized on the bill as such.

Funnier still, as a nation, we actually over produce electricity...which results in us paying the USA to take it off our hands because we can’t store it.
    You can’t make this crazy stuff up.
    Politicians here are lucky Canadians are too mild and passive to meter out the justice they deserve.
    So forgive me, when I appear cynical of any new technology that’s going to divert more demand and spending to electric infrastructure.

daytona355 likes this.
  13. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    In 10 more years most 20 year olds won't know what an ICE is...or was. They'll be zombies riding in robots.

14. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Well, we still know about steam cars and horse-drawn carriages that left our roads more than 100 years ago, so I don't think the next generations will be so ignorant about the petrol motor cars.

15. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Yes they will because they will have no interest in the individual car. They will have pods arrive at their door and take them to a giant transporter. They live in a collective consciousness and not an individual one. For today they would prefer to lease a car from a vending machine based on internet ads. They don't care how it drives or how it is powered, only how it looks. They will never look under the hood because they won't even know where it is. Their transportation will be an app on their smart phone. The scooters that clutter our sidewalks are just the first step toward anonymous collective-ownership transportation. The automobile from its earliest days meant individual freedom of movement. The "new people" scorn the concepts of "individual" and "freedom."

I don't know how this thread morphed into a P&R discussion. Maybe the mods should move it there.

16. Sig. Roma

Sig. Roma Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2007
    Bella Italia
    Full Name:
    Dom T.
    daytona355 likes this.
  17. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    This week the utility company in California shut down the power grid serving almost 1mm customers in Northern Cali. The outage will last for up to a week, depending on weather conditions. Try plugging your Tesla into your solar panels. BTW, solar panels feed the grid. When the grid is shut down the electricity generated by the panels goes nowhere.

daytona355 likes this.