Multiple System Failures.... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Multiple System Failures....

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by gilly6993, Jul 12, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    No....is at simple as just taking one of the connections off (or do I do both), letting it sit, and reconnecting?

2. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Take one off and wait a minute and reconnect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gilly6993 likes this.
  3. R J

R J Formula Junior

May 17, 2017
    UK
    Yikes. You only took delivery a month or two ago. Hope it gets sorted. This thread is a little worrying. Have never had a car with recurring troubles (other than a Porsche 996 many many years ago - very dodgy build quality on that - was always in the shop for warranty repairs). Was hoping Ferrari were significantly more reliable these days. My 812 arrives in the next few days - will be sure to keep on a CTEK MXS 7.0 tender. Was going to get the CTEK CT5 Stop/Start but will change to the CTEK MXS 7.0 based on @Caeruleus11 suggestion. Fingers crossed.

Good luck everyone with the issues you discuss here. Hope they are quickly and painlessly resolved.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  4. GameMaker

GameMaker Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2014
    WA State
    I don't really consider it a serious issue, it's an easy part to replace. Alternators break sometime, this isn't the first car I've owned that had one go out.

5. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    How long do you leave the beg terminal off to “reset” things. I did it for 5 min and no changes. My service advisor said everything would go back to factory but it didn’t. Phone still works and favorites are still there. Only difference is my rear hatch won’t open :pound forehead:.....

6. DRYHOLE

DRYHOLE Karting

Jul 12, 2004
    Dallas + Seaside, Fl
    Full Name:
    Dryhole
    My first 458 battery lasted one month and after my third F12 which was a 2016 model experienced multiple electronic errors, so severe that the local dealership went as far as switching the left and right engine ecu’s trying to cure engine misfires. They finally changed a new battery with another new battery that cured all issues. The original and the first new battery were later diagnosed with a bad cell. I would recommend changing the battery again. Good luck.

7. Cnoordz

Cnoordz Karting

Jun 28, 2018
    Full Name:
    C
    These multiple system failures + stuck in wet mode is quite common sadly. I had it the first time in my Lusso last year when it was still new. Called dealer who simply said to drive it for about 10 minutes, then switch off and on again.
    Had it about 4 times in 26.000km now and it did the trick everytime.

8. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Thanks for all the replies.

I guess it’s somewhat good to know I’m not the only one and I’m not nuts. Maybe I’ll have them put a new battery in my next service and just deal with it for now. That seems to be the common answer

9. Cnoordz

Cnoordz Karting

Jun 28, 2018
    Full Name:
    C
    It could happen again next week or next year. Don't worry about it, a new battery won't help either. If it happens, drive for a bit and do the switch off / switch on trick.

10. Sultan_458

Sultan_458 Karting
    BANNED

Jan 5, 2018
    Uae
    Full Name:
    Sultan
    I was on a work mission for nearly a month and more and I didn't run the car or put it on the charger for that long and I turned it on and that's what showed up to me and I think that's exactly what you means spicaly the wet mode... I put the car on the charger, and then I'll see if the car's stable after fully charged , otherwise I'm going to change the battery from the dealership. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my SM-N9500 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

11. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    what battery is in ur car? use interstate.

12. Sultan_458

Sultan_458 Karting
    BANNED

Jan 5, 2018
    Uae
    Full Name:
    Sultan
    Will I am second owner of the car after my cousin... I think its verta agm battery...
    The battery has changed in 2017 to date. I don't have enough experience if this type of battery has more life span than acid batteries.

13. Sultan_458

Sultan_458 Karting
    BANNED

Jan 5, 2018
    Uae
    Full Name:
    Sultan
    I remove the battery terminal for 5 minutes then I start the car again and everything is fine

14. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    yep that sounds about right. its like a computer. need to unplug it sometimes.

15. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Not to be a debby downer but same thing I went through....dreaded wet mode....if the car is still under warranty I would bring it to the dealer to have them test the fluid levels in the PTU....just my $0.02 as I battled this problem for over a year.....time and again I was told it was the battery.....

of2worlds likes this.
  16. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    what do they do to test the ptu fluid? this is a precursor to the issue?

17. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #42 gilly6993, Oct 10, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
    From my limited understanding the issue is a leak between chambers in the PTU....so they level the fluids off, drive it, and test the levels....the levels should remian constant....there's a whole bunch of things Ferrari technical support will make the dealer do before they authorize a replacement....part of the reason why my car was there for 7 weeks....

I had the same exact "Wet Mode" and multiple system failures issue seen in the pics above....started in June of 2018 and worsened as the next 12 months passed.....in the beginning it happened a couple times a month....towards the end it happened every time I drove the car, even short distances....

of2worlds likes this.
  18. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    ah ok. i think this supports having the ptu fluid changed either every year or every 2 yrs with the brake fluid....im not really worried about PTU - its been a tiny percentage of cars and i live in a highly populated ferrari area with 2 huge dealers 20 miles apart...

19. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    This sounds an awful lot like a battery issue.

Does this car have HELE (stop/start) from new? Is the 2017 battery AGM and are you using the factory supplied tender?

Most modern Ferrari instruction manuals say you need to put the car on the included tender if its going to sit for more than ~2.5 days. That's it. I simply plug the car in every time I park it at home this way I don't have to remember.

20. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i almost never keep my FF on a tender anymore. it used to eat batteries but now i can go 3 weeks easy. really odd. and i never get the wet mode errors anymore either etc. i think it was due to a wire being cramped which i noticed is in my maintenance log i posted and someone else mentioned recently as the solution. i think we need to better document this pinched wire symptom as im not sophisticated enough to explain it.

post 13:
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/ptu-oil-leak.606141/

21. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Very interesting... I would still recommend to anyone with a modern Ferrari, at a minimum use the supplied tender and you really should use a better tender such as the Ctek 7002.

22. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I never hook my car up....it has sat weeks and never been an issue....I believe with the modern cars the tenders are good for cars that will sit the winter in storage or on showroom floors....

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  23. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    dont disagree - better safe that sorry

24. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Indeed, having a ruptured steel braided high pressure line that can be fixed for <$2K is way better than needing replacing the PTU.

Lucky you. I wouldn't worry either if having 2 dealers so close by. For me, they are 350 miles and 450 miles away.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  25. Sultan_458

Sultan_458 Karting
    BANNED

Jan 5, 2018
    Uae
    Full Name:
    Sultan
    I had some trouble with the car dealership because of some things I found out later, and when I confronted them, they actually cancel the car warranty out of fear for their positions at work...
    The car dealership is responsible for any damage saued to the car during the warranty period.

I only drive once every two weeks, and it's not more than 150 kilometers most of the time.
    Can you believe I had a problem with the car, and every time I go to them, they tell me you have to pay that amount because the piece doesn't include the warranty, and the amount actually paid isn't small. In fact, they don't fix any pieces or replace all they do is clean it up and make it work for a specific time and then the problem comes back. When they removed the warranty, their argument was unacceptable because of some small additions, the type of tires and the type of battery... Then I took my car to a friend because he had a car repair workshop, and we dismantled all the pieces that needed to be changed...
    Guess what we found.....
    1. They change engine oil without changing the oil filter
    2. They took my orginal evap and replaced with someon els evap because my car is red and the evap in my car have some yellow paint.
    3.they replace the 4 O2 sensors with old ones.
    4. Front shock absorber has been replaced with someone else..
    5. Engine mounts both broke.
    6. They never change the air filter they just clean it with air.
    7.spark plugs never been touched.
    8.dler Pulley,
    9.Belt Tensioner Pulley
    10.Belt Tensioner
    11.Belt
    I change all of this by my own and my car like new born and the price was not even 1/4 what the dealer ask.