458 - Low oil pressure, Stop engine | FerrariChat

458 Low oil pressure, Stop engine

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Nsd991, Oct 9, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nsd991

Nsd991 Formula Junior

Jul 19, 2012
    2x in the last few weeks my car popped up a quick less than one second warning that oil pressure is low and to stop the car. The warning immediately went away.
    Attached is a video. At rest the oil psi is about 4, under throttle it goes up to 70 psi. Are these normal numbers? Called ferrari and my service advisor didn’t know. Recommend I bring the car in. I can’t anytime soon so looking here if these values are normal. Oil temperatures and other metrics all in range.

2. Nsd991

Nsd991 Formula Junior

Jul 19, 2012
    Sorry video won’t load

3. Transman

Transman Karting

Nov 20, 2016
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen Ferraro
    Oil pressure at idle is to low

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Nsd991

Nsd991 Formula Junior

Jul 19, 2012
    Thanks, what should it be?

5. Nsd991

Nsd991 Formula Junior

Jul 19, 2012
    Pressure at rest

Attached Files:

6. daflk

daflk Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2013
    Hong Kong
    Did u check the dipstick oil level? It’s most probably a faulty oil pressure sensor. Mine went nuts for a week after leaving my spider out in torrential rain then after a week or so the sensor recovered.

7. Nsd991

Nsd991 Formula Junior

Jul 19, 2012
    Will check oil level as you suggest. Just had annual service so unless grossly under filled should be ok.

8. daflk

daflk Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2013
    Hong Kong
    Is the sensor erratic? Like at idle does it jump around? Under acceleration the pressure should rise
    If your driving is normal and you have these symptoms it’s most likely the sensor gone bad.
    Mine is faulty (readings jumpy) but doesn’t trigger the low pressure warning so I just ignore it.

Also once warmed up is your engine idling evenly. If it idles normally (RPM needle steady once settled at idle for a second or two) but the oil pressure sensor is erratic, then that’s a sure sign engine pressure is fine but your sensor is at fault.

9. Nsd991

Nsd991 Formula Junior

Jul 19, 2012
    Very helpful. Sounds like a bad sensor. Exactly as you describe.

10. Nsd991

Nsd991 Formula Junior

Jul 19, 2012
  11. daflk

daflk Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2013
    Hong Kong
    Not sure I was quoted not a small amount by both independent and dealer to fix it. I’m not gonna fix mine until it really breaks I can live with erratic readings. As far as I’m aware the ECU doesn’t use engine oil pressure for any air fuel or other mixtures so doesn’t impact daily driving, just really annoying if the reading drops low and starts beeping and giving you scary messages.
    You need to be certain your oil level and engine revving and idle are normal to diagnose this properly. Misdiagnosis can be disastrous!

12. Nsd991

Nsd991 Formula Junior

Jul 19, 2012
    Thank you again. On cold start today was at 70psi, at freeway speed 75psi. Then at idle 5k. Car runs great. will get it looked at and report back. Your responses have helped a ton. Thanks

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  13. ferrari360man

ferrari360man Rookie

Sep 30, 2010
    Toronto Canada
    Hi, I was just looking at this old post as my car is having the exact same issue. I'm wondering what the solution was in the end. Do you mind sharing? Thanks!!

14. Nsd991

Nsd991 Formula Junior

Jul 19, 2012
    F12 oil filter was placed instead of 458 oil filter during service. Ultimately no harm done to car.

MalibuGuy likes this.
  15. todd cloud

todd cloud Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Todd
    WTF

Eatpies99 likes this.
  16. Nsd991

Nsd991 Formula Junior

Jul 19, 2012
    Unfortunately that was the case. Independent shop figured it out as I didn’t want to go back to dealer and jump through potentially expensive hoops. I did tell dealer of their mistake. They did document with Ferrari the occurrence so I would be covered for any potential future issues. That was good enough for me.

Eatpies99 and todd cloud like this.
  17. ferrari360man

ferrari360man Rookie

Sep 30, 2010
    Toronto Canada
    Wow, that's crazy!! Glad no harm was done. Thanks for letting me know, i just ordered the sensor, it's cheap so i'll throw it in and see if that does the trick.

18. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Good detective work by the independent mechanic/tech!
    I wonder if this has happened before? We assume that when you have your car serviced at the dealer they would use the correct parts and an error would have been caught at some point by parts manager, tech, or advisor who prepares the itemized bill which contains part numbers (presumably scanned )

I don’t think the independent could determine the wrong filter by simply looking at your engine bay. He would have to actually unscrew the metal can cover and pull out the filter !

Again good work!

Might there be an F12 running around with the 458 filter ?

19. Nsd991

Nsd991 Formula Junior

Jul 19, 2012
    I had stopped driving the car. Error was discovered when it was time for service and I went to independent to get issue looked at while in for oil and filter. That’s when error was found.

MalibuGuy likes this.