StartedFromTheBottom - A Warning to Others | Page 3 | FerrariChat

StartedFromTheBottom - A Warning to Others

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Jasonberkeley, Oct 8, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Thank you for clarification on the amount.

Thanks for clarification on the privacy of PMs.

Matt

2. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    and the NSA, Chinese and maybe CrowdStrike

imahorse, vraa, Booker and 1 other person like this.
  3. INRange

INRange F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD

I completely agree regarding Google translate......it is more than adequate enough for this task. I use it for supplier conversations internationally with China and we both make fun how it works but the intent and engineering conversations are enough to get the job done. German is rock solid in Google translate.

I would send Peter an email in English and in German just so he has both to work with. I would be surprised if you don't get what you want either a refund or the materials. Either way is a win for you. If you get the materials.....you have also have a first hand providence.

Additionally.....it gives you what is missing in this thread which is a personal connection to the man who has your money.

Note to Carlo: PM Jason Peter's contact info and so we can move on to more of the interesting stuff you have for sale.

4. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    In order for me to contact Peter, I need Carlo to respond to a note of any sort, and get me Peter's contact info. I will try a PM again, but he hasnt responded to any recent notes at all.

5. INRange

INRange F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    I'll bet $20 that Xenforo Ltd. can look at them whenever they want. They power almost all the major chat rooms. It is the dark underbelly of the net that any chat room posting can be traced back to an IP address and the subject's registration information by the SAS provider. It doesn't take a huge amount of effort to identify people who are cray-cray.

BOKE likes this.
  6. INRange

INRange F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
  7. StartedFromTheBottom

StartedFromTheBottom Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 9, 2016
    Europe
    #57 StartedFromTheBottom, Oct 9, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
    Thank you for this clarification Yin... and can you please lock this thread (to view for others) until a moderator or a few neutral chosen volunteers decide on the outcome? It was always agreed on to keep this information discrete as my friend Peter was never a person of publicity. It is not fair to blame him for anything and also give all the details to anybody reading this. Jason always wanted this information ONLY for him. It is more than bad manners to make this all public instead of having a small circle a decision about this. I have still the opinion I did nothing wrong and want to clarify it. But right now i'm quite busy until end of this month with daily struggle so that I would like to answer all this crazy hate here then in detail.
    Would be highly appreciated if moderators try to keep this in a fair manner until the discussion has a reasonable outcome.

8. StartedFromTheBottom

BANNED

May 9, 2016
    Europe
    And by the way, of course, I can't answer Jason if you block me sending PMs... but now it's anyway too late.

9. INRange

INRange F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    I really don't understand this. This is the same language that was used in one of your postings. Carlo either you are on point or Peter is.....Peter has Jason's money and he wants it back if the goods aren't delivered. Postponing the discussion to a later date because you are busy just seems to be a bit disingenuous and supports Jason's comments regarding the frustrations he has experienced with this transaction.

I believe you can clear this up by putting Jason in touch with Peter and stepping away. If you don't want to do that.....okay but then it is incumbent upon you to give him his money back. Anything less ......will hurt your business. You can't just say: "I'm too busy" without seriously damaging your credibility.

It is not about hate or any other such emotion.....it is up to you to solve it. If you do....you are the hero. If you don't ....well you become the person people talk about in a very negative way...........forever.

It is never too late to do the right thing.

imahorse, PTG1, Island Time and 8 others like this.
  10. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Seems like 'Carlo' is now to be found down under in Melbourne (RMIT).

Perhaps one of the Fchat guys down there can ermm help out?

Also consider that OZ in general has some very strict consumer laws , as a foreigner you need visas to be there..also not be in any 'trouble' to get/maintain one i would imagine.

11. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    This is the exact problem. My money is with Peter / Carlo and there is zero sense of urgency to fufill the obligation they have of providing me with what I paid for over four months ago or returning my money.

The disingenuous way he describes this as hate is laughable. I have tried every opportunity to resolve this with him in a discreet manner, and he continues to ignore the simple premise of providing what was paid for, or returning the funds.

Island Time and daytona355 like this.
  12. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    Moderators: if StartedFromTheBottom has, as he states himself, no time to fufill his obligations of a completed transaction where he has been paid for over four months, should he not be prohibited from having any other postings of items for sale on FChat in order to prevent this same theft / scam from happening to other members of the community?

I would suggest that until such time as he either ensures the items purchased that he has represented for Peter be provided or my money is returned, he should be banned from selling anything else.

This is not an act of hate, but rather a simple preventative measure to assure nobody else has to deal with the knock-on effects of Carlo being 'too busy' to uphold his end of a transaction.

daytona355 likes this.
  13. Ferrari 308 GTB

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
  14. StartedFromTheBottom

BANNED

May 9, 2016
    Europe
    Mods this is definitely going to far. I'm comitting to take one hour out this weekend take my stand if someone can please stop all this commenting from people not involved flying through the thread thinking "Hey there's some rumor going on, I'm in". Mind your own business and start building your opinion once you heard both sides. You read what you want to read.

15. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Maybe use that hour to send Jason his refund.

16. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    No, we read what has been shown. Feel free to show something else if you believe it rebuts the two-way PM's between you and Jason.

Fwiw, you won't receive one iota of credibility here until you either:

1) Refund Jason the money (all parties agree he has not received what he paid for)

or

2) Put Jason and Peter directly in touch and and ask them to resolve. Since you claim to be a helpless intermediary and didn't take the money yourself and can't provide the items yourself, this is what most here would do. If you fail to do that, you will look like someone with something to hide, or worse. There is zero credible reason not to connect them and ask them to resolve via Peter providing the items or the money back to Jason.

Why you haven't done #2 by now is a mystery to all...

Island Time, paulchua, kes7u and 2 others like this.
  17. AshAP

AshAP Karting

Apr 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ash
    To the OP how can you be sure that the account no. that you wired the money to doesn’t belong to Carlo and not Peter?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

ROULEUR likes this.
  18. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    When I wired the money to the account, it required a name and the name used was Peter's. Not sure if that means much or is something the bank actually verifies.

19. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I'm glad it worked out for you, but this, to me, is insane. I would absolutely never use the "friends and family" for anyone but friends and family unless the seller agrees to ship the item prior to payment, which has happened, even here. There is absolutely no recourse there. Wiring $ is basically the same thing. Requesting either method throws a huge red flag for me. If the seller is worried about the 3% fee, the buyer should be willing to pay it for insurance purposes. Always worth it.

As far as @StartedFromTheBottom , I can't say I've ever done any dealings with him, nor do I have any reason to believe that he isn't legitimate as he seems to do a lot in the classifieds section, but just looking at the conversation, from my peanut gallery perspective, I'd say that it would be right to return at least a sizable portion of the $ given, there should definitely be a small finder's fee since it looks like an attempt was made, although unsuccessfully.

@Jasonberkeley In my humble, uneducated opinion...The way this should have been set up from the beginning, since Carlo was absolutely correct that this was a bit of a special request, is he should have been kept on a retainer for a portion of the money, and then agreed to the remainder when the conditions were met, similar way an outfit like a car finder would work...

Either way, I hope it works out for both parties involved. I've been on the receiving side of constant excuses after I've sent $$ and unfortunately have had to show my ass in some ways that wouldn't make mama proud, NEVER on F-Chat though.

daytona355 and anunakki like this.
  20. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    Here are the only 'non PM' email exchanges with Carlo from after I had sent him the unacceptable brief hand-written version of what I had received, and i subsequently emailed scans to Carlo for him to translate. Note that Carlo acknowledges that what Peter sent isnt what was complete with respect to the agreed upon narrative.

Also note that the need for the CV is now being questioned months after both Peter and Carlo agreed to provide it and after I paid them based upon this agreement.

As an FYI, I still have not received the translation from Carlo.

I have numbered them in sequence since the email chain starts at the bottom.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    The problem with many internet handshake deals like this, (unfortunately) is, when money (typically in FULL) is exchanged for anything, the following events hinge directly on the seller or broker, of those goods. And frankly, in my experience, when people have money in hand, they become lazy. Seen it a million times in car deals, parts deals and memorabilia.

In this case, it doesn't really matter which side is "right". What matters is, money was exchanged for an expected return of "something", and when that didn't or doesn't happen...Well, exhibit A. right before our eyes.

As a seller of anything, sometimes the right thing to do may sting, or you may feel you yourself are being cheated by the situation that presents itself, but that's short term thinking, and it really only take ONE bad deal to ruin your reputation. Is it worth losing X over the next 10 years over $1,300?

I'd just pay Jason back his money, and chalk it all up to a mismanaged deal, and move on. If that had been done in a timely manner and prudently, this thread wouldn't exist, and the future detriment of @StartedFromTheBottom wouldn't be a big question mark.

22. Ferrari 308 GTB

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    #72 Ferrari 308 GTB, Oct 10, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
    My opinion is based on what i have read so far.Go ahead with something different,make my day.

Also take a look at this thread

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/i-think-i-was-ripped-off-for-4-000-can-you-guys-help-me.570375/

Dane likes this.
  23. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    #73 Jasonberkeley, Oct 10, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
    Just read the Opus thread. Perhaps I would indeed be well served to reach out to RMIT where he is currently working or studying as Ferrari 308 GTB suggested above, and ask them if they are aware that they have a thief in their midst...

https://www.rmit.edu.au/students/support-and-facilities/campus-facilities/security

Lots of phone numbers for campus security at RMIT on their website.

If Carlo does not reach out to resolve this, that may be my next call. Along with the appropriate Australian consulate in Germany. I imagine he is there on a visa which has certain conditions to be maintained. Theft and fraud would probably violate the terms of the visa issuance.

I really do need a Sid in Melbourne!

daytona355 likes this.
  24. Ferrari 308 GTB

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    @ Aircon?

daytona355 likes this.
  25. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    In an effort to try and resolve this, I sent the following note to Carlo:

Carlo-

Here is a suggestion:

You charged me an extra 200 Euro for Peter's story and CV.

Refund me 900 Euro

Peter and you can keep 100 Euro each for your troubles.

We end this.

Jason