F8 Tributo.....Last hurrah for the Ferrari V8 ? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

F8 Tributo.....Last hurrah for the Ferrari V8 ?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by rocketman, Sep 26, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    With the Pista I can hardly tell it has turbos.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  2. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    With the Pista I feel like you can have your cake and eat it too. I used to really not love turbo engines, and I still prefer the NA sound in general, but what Ferrari is doing with turbo engines is just so shockingly great.

(and by the way, the turbo V8 in the Mercedes is also very good, but I don't have experience with the GTR, just my S class, which is a lovely loafer).

To answer the OP - I have no way to know this, but my opinion is yes, whatever comes next will likely be different enough that we will say the F8 Tributo is the last of this kind of car (relatively light(er)weight/ simple in its concept of mid engine with no hybrid and RWD).

gzachary and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  3. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I drove a 911 turbo s. Talk about no sound and no soul.

I hated that car!

Ferrari does turbos right.

4. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark

Guess the F40 wasn't a "real Ferrari" then huh?

PhilNotHill likes this.
  5. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mark

Ever ride in a Merc GTc? (I own one). Rougher than a log wagon down a country road. Absolutely the worst riding sports car on the market today and no one is even a close second. I hate mine (Its for sale BTW).

It does SOUND good though!

6. FordGTDriver

FordGTDriver Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2007
    Oh mama, but I can't wait for the Pista to arrive. Everything I read about it makes me more impatient for it to get here...just got a picture of it on the production line and it was more pain than pleasure.

Gh21631 likes this.
  7. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    I have the Dynamic Plus Package. I adjusted my Individual setting to Race, Manual and Comfort suspension. Compared to my GT3, the AMG GTS is like floating on a cloud.

8. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mark

I am going to print this out and go the dealer tomorrow. I have mine set the exact same way as well as have the DPP, it still rides like ****. Thanks!

9. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    #34 AlfistaPortoghese, Oct 2, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
    The question was what was Ferraris last hurrah when it comes to the V8. If you care to read my reply again, you’ll see I said 2015. That clearly includes the F40, launched in ‘87.

And one thing is to put a turbo on a car like they did in the 80s; to make it go faster. Another quite different thing: to put turbos in order to downsize and comply with environmental government policies of emissions and sound.

Over here in Europe, all engines are turbos: for instance, a Fiat 500 with a 0.9cc 2 cylinder engine. Turbos here, like manual gearboxes, is the rule, like automatic gearboxes in north america. No biggie. Is turbo alone what makes something great? Then this one is also italian and turbo. I guess it has to relate to the F40 and the 488 then.

In my book, what makes the 488 an awesome car can’t be simply reduced to the fact that it has turbos. It goes beyond that.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

ferrarifanatic25 likes this.
  10. gzachary

gzachary Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Jan 10, 2011
    California
    Agreed. I was one of the vocal ones saying that the 458 sound would always outclass the turbo generation afterwards. I did drive my 458 today and loved it. It sounded great.

But I am happy to tell you that at last week’s Pilota, watching the Pistas approach and go by st bonkers speed...they sounded incredible. A unique sound. At first you here all NA engine, and then as it flies away from you, you here the sound of a higher frequency missile that just flew past you. Driving them was great. Given this was on straightaways on the track and not revving your time engine at a stoplight.

The Pista sound is different but I really was blown away by its intensity and unique quality last week.

11. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    But wouldn't another 1K rpm be even better even with the smaller engine and turbo..

12. Adamas

Adamas F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2012
    Out of town
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I sold my 991 TurboS to make room for my F12.

I'm on the hunt now for another- the 991 TS is a *fantastic* DD.

FWIW, I didn't *appreciate* the car when I had it- it wasn't until it was gone that I realized what a great all around it really is.

Mike

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  13. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Somebody once wrote” You don’t know what you got till it’s gone.”

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  14. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Wouldn't make since if it flat-lined power-wise, or even worse, lost power at higher RPM. Keep in mind that current F1 cars are permitted to rev to 15,000 RPM, but they only go up to 12,000, as there is no reason to rev higher.

Il Co-Pilota and Solid State like this.
  15. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    How do you like the F12? I am thinking of adding one to substitute as my DD. I can fit golf clubs in it!

16. Adamas

Adamas F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2012
    Out of town
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Love it.

Mike

17. Adamas

Adamas F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2012
    Out of town
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Cinderella ?

...the 80's hair band, not the Disney character.

Gh21631 likes this.
  18. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Joni Mitchell - Big Yellow Taxi

19. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East

I am trying to decide between an F12 and an 812. I plan to drive it a lot so may go with the F12.

20. Ohanoune

Ohanoune Karting
    BANNED

Sep 29, 2016
    Paris/ Milan/ Dubai
    100% right.. and electric Ferrari will be a better soloution than any hybrid. I my self don't care for the sound, I care more for the design of the car inside and outside, an electric Ferrari with a unique design languege which should be true to its DNA will be the right choice .

21. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Pure electrics run out of breath at high speeds and deplete their batteries rapidly. Hybrids are better for the time being. Also, electric motors feel all the same. No difference in power delivery, gear changes (lack of) and sound. A Ferrari is all about its engine and electric motors level the playing field. A van's electric powertrain feels exactly the same as a sportscar's; the only thing changing being the amounts of thrust, but not the way that this thrust is deployed.

22. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    At least we agree on something.

23. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Pure electric Ferrari. Not for me.

Thecadster likes this.