ditching DirecTv.....alternatives? | FerrariChat

ditching DirecTv.....alternatives?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Edward 96GTS, Oct 3, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    currently on a 5 day trial of Youtube TV. not thrilled with the tv guide section.
    also who provides the best wifi? xfinity?
    tia

2. JoeTSI

JoeTSI Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2015
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Joe K.
    Best Wifi would be a mesh network in your home with fiber gigabit connectivity (AT&T fiber is better over Google fiber). I'd search threads on "cutting the cord".

3. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    What you did is just move to another "cable" company doing it that way with youtube TV.

Get Prime, you probably already have it, and start there, then you can add channels that you actually like and want to pay for. Then use youtube no pay to fill in specific subjects of interest. Cut the cord 3 years ago and its been great.

4. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #4 Wade, Oct 10, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
    Most of the content is in Silver (subscription), like this one:

Snipping at Cable (TV)

Lots of first-hand experience from several people using various platforms/devices in the above thread.

I should add that I've mostly given up on tv altogether... just too many commercials.

5. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I think Sling the best for TV, but I end up watching Netflix and Youtube documentaries and podcasts the most. 10x more interesting content than TV programs.

6. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    whaaa? sling is the worst of the major streamers for "TV" imho. Based on:

- They don't provide all of the 4 big networks (and many of us don't have over-the-air options)
    - Their DVR sucks and pales in comparison to youtube TV to name but one
    - Their packages are sorta stupid (actually the opposite for them) in that to get what most folks want, you have to blue and orange and a sports pack.

Its just plain easier, cheaper and better to go with Youtube TV or Vue and be happy for around $50. (DTVnow is also a good option).

OP - why don't you like YTTV? I switched to it this year after using cable, dishes, sling, dtvnow and some local streaming options...and YTTV is far and away the best.

You mentioned the "guide"? It works great imho. It doesn't go as far into the future as the 2-weeks that most cable ones do...but, once you get used to the YTTV interface (I use it on roku premier) its better than cable guides and the search and record a subject (like say, all Patriots content) is awesome. But, like any change, the transition can be frustrating. I felt that too, but after a couple of months (maybe less) I was loving the UI.

7. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I'll have to check out the YouTube channels if it gets all the ones I want like Sling.

Fox (local, news, sports)
    NBC (all)
    ESPN (all)
    NFL
    Fishing Network
    Sportsman
    Outdoors Channel
    Comedy Central
    BBC
    AXS
    Bravo
    National Geographic
    Bloomberg
    Motortrend
    Chinese package

8. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Missing ABC and CBS (and for me I can't Fox or NBC on sling either) was a deal killer for me (and many others, especially those that like things like the NFL games and college football games and the major golf tournaments). The only channel I've missed with youtube tv is NFL network. I imagine they will add that someday. But slings channel package works for less people across the country than youtube (or vue or DTVNow). Your or my or someone's individual needs may vary of course, but I'd never seen anyone claim a flat "Sling is the best cable replacement for TV". Heck, the way the DVR works alone makes it pretty awful. I know, I used it before DTVNow, and vue and YTTV were available.

rob lay likes this.
  9. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    If you're tech savvy and you dont care about morals/ethics a la capitalism just google for iptvreviews or iptv providers

I've gone through a few, but now I've settled on two solid ones, I get way more channels than I need and it's about 100$/yr

10. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    tell you my ethics and morals I shamed my own family for reusing Netflix logins. :D

BOKE and arizonaitalian like this.
  11. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    BMW.SauberF1Team likes this.
  12. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    using the firestick, how can you see podcasts?
    are they on youtube tv?

13. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    That's a great comparison tool. Thanks for posting.

It looks like YouTube TV would be the best choice for me, but I did do a free trial with them and it blacked out the local antenna broadcast channels (including sports) when I was out of town and tried to watch them remotely. That was a big turn off for me as most of the TV I watch is really antenna and I'm not always in town. For now I just use antenna and have gotten used to it.

Plus, I have DSL and it's hard to stream regular YouTube videos around 5-8pm. I wish I could get Google Fiber.

BOKE likes this.
  14. Brian Show

Brian Show Rookie

Apr 13, 2020
    Full Name:
    Brian Show
    Love my firestick, it has revolutionized media consumption for our family. Just like to add that we also use the Firestick movie app. It is both free and legal and offered through the firestick directory as a direct download. All content on this app is free, but of course you will be subjected to (limited) ads.