360 - Key Fob | FerrariChat

360 Key Fob

Discussion in '360/430' started by gidleigh, Jul 11, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gidleigh

gidleigh Karting

Nov 27, 2010
    Coronado, Ca
    I am new to this forum. I am picking up my 2001 360 coupe Saturday. It has only one key and fob. I am sure this has been discussed before but my searches do not go anywhere.

Ferrari Maserati of SD wants $450 for the key and $900 for the fob which need to come from Italy. I believe unlike the f430 the 360 does not have an immobilizer in the key that needs to be mated to the Meta M8-26 alarm system as in the F430. I thank the 360's system is an older Bosch setup.
    I have been through the hole rigger role before with my Maserati GranSport which has the same system. So I am looking for a less expensive path.

Any work arounds or suggestions will be appreciated.

2. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Key from the dealer (assuming you want the correct oem one), fob from the Fchatter that sells them. I'd order another oem key while you can still get them from Ferrari.
    https://www.ferrarifobs.com/

3. JazzyJay

JazzyJay Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2005
    Connecticut
    Is your fob black or red? Red is the master, and you can simply order two black fobs and go through a simple programming procedure. If you only have a black, it is a little more complicated, but doable.

You can also get good quality custom keys from Fchatters. I bought a. Few and they look and work great.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Jaymie360 likes this.
  4. gidleigh

gidleigh Karting

Nov 27, 2010
    Coronado, Ca
    Hi,
    Thanks for the response. My fob is black. Is Fchatters a company? I saw a seller on eBay that supposedly sells programable fobs.

5. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    #5 greyboxer, Jul 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    Hmmmmm

If the seller is 'Gobble' his 360 fob work is legendary and has helped many members for a decade - he can also be contacted directly here (and is also behind the site linked above)

6. JazzyJay

JazzyJay Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2005
    Connecticut
    Hypek9 and Apollo 11 like this.
  7. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    You can always get rid of the whole antique unreliable system and do an Immobilizer delete which will help you to sidestep many expensive problems including ;

1. Battery drain issues which can put unnecessary pressure on your alternator which can also need replacing and require you to always be connected to a battery tender. Also kills batteries much quicker than it should do due to constant or random drain from failing immobilizer relays flapping and consuming voltage.

2. Door locks randomly locking and unlocking due to failing relays in immobilizer which can burn out door lock solenoids or find your vehicle unlocked even after locking it.

3. Random starting issues where hot and cold temperature variations can stop your car from starting due to mechanical relays failing to switch in time.

4. Due to low battery some people even try to jump start their cars in turn this can lead to thousands in damages resulting in throttle body ticking and replacement ecus being needed. Some have paid 6k plus to dealers to fix this!

5. Random indicator issues due to relays being on same circuit. When it begins to fail it can flap between states draining battery and causing havoc with your lights.

Etc.

Once you remove the old overpriced system just get someone to fit a modern alarm/immobilizer or tracker for a fraction of the cost.

Search Swiss Army Knife and immobilizer delete for more information. This approach means you don't need fobs ever again and yes it's possible to also do this on Maserati's too which use a similar system to the F430. At least on the later system the fobs are in a separate ecu to the dreaded immobilizer.

brookliner7, albkid and tifosi101 like this.
  8. Reddesire348

Reddesire348 Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2017
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Andrew Gaal
    I just purchased a FOB from the US from a 2002 Modena however I have a UK import 2004 360 Spider. I’m not worried about the model difference however someone told me a US FOB is not compatible with a UK spec car. Is that correct?

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

9. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Correct. Different frequency.

10. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    360Trev’s ECU mod is the way to go unless you really want to keep the factory immobilizer.

If you do want to keep the factory unit, even if you have the red fob, you can’t just get another black one. The fobs are a matched set and the red one is just used to program the other two black ones when introducing a new set to the existing ECU. To do that, you need to have the PIN code for the alarm.
    A new set of fobs is quite pricey, so many will get a used fob or two and have someone clone your existing fob’s code to them. The risk is that if you send away your only working fob, you can’t drive your car until you get it back, and it could get lost in transit.
    When I first got my car, it only had one black fob, and it was before cloners were easily found, so I got the PIN from the factory and initialized a new set. I took the batteries out of the spares and locked them away in the safe with the PIN code. Expensive!

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

11. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I guess the OP cannot use google successfully.
    Took 10 seconds to find these:
    https://www.ferrarifobs.com/services

https://www.ecudoctors.com/ferrari-360-remotes-key-fobs.html
    Here is my thread search title and results:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=new+reprogrammed+fobs+for+ferrari+360&ie=&oe=
    YouTube videos, and list of threads here on Fchat...

If you really had trouble, I would recommend finding a tutorial on using google. It is better than probably even using the search feature on Fchat...and it will find the relevant Fchat threads too. Good luck!

Need4Spd likes this.
  12. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    ^^^ I second this ^^^

Originally, I took the silver keys, stripped them, painted them, cleared them, and used them (well....one of them). All of Steve's products (forzacomponenti.com) are great. Below you can see my three keys. Forza's key, my painted/cleared key that I have been using for the past 3 years, and my spare key that has been in my gun safe for the past three years. It's hard to tell from the pic but the aftermarket key has a larger body, feels solid in your hand, and can be polished if necessary or replaced since it is less than half the cost of the original key.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Apollo 11 likes this.
  13. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Nice finds. Would have been nice if they existed some years back! But nice to know the market has responded to this all too common problem.
    The PIN extraction service is nice. But I would guess most people with only one fob have the black one, as the special red one likely was kept “safe” by a prior owner who either lost or forgot to provide it when trading or selling the car.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

14. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Strange, but when I bought my used 1997 F355 spider from Ferrari of Seattle back in 2004, it came with two keys, two black fobs, two red fobs and two keys for the little storage compartment behind the seats. Also a metal dog tag with the pin number stamped on it. No idea why it had two red fobs

15. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Do all four work? If one red one does not, it could be that a prior owner lost the other two black ones matched to one of the red. Or, one or more are clones.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

16. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    That was the weird part, all four worked. Dealer never had a good explanation why, it was a consignment car, but they obtained the car in a swap from Ferrari of Central Florida a few years before I bought it, and sold and maintained it to a local owner.

Need4Spd likes this.
  17. Reddesire348

Oct 10, 2017
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Andrew Gaal
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

After having only one key and one red, one black fob for my 360 Spider I decided to try to collect a full set of 2 keys and 3 fobs (2 x black, 1 x red) as was originally delivered with the car.

Firstly I bought a used key and fob off eBay, $AUD 145 which I was happy to find as they can be a bit exi !? My key was rather chipped so I pulled the keys out of each head (they are only press fitted in and you can pop the head off the key with a bit of carefully metered force) and stripped the paint off both by soaking them over night in paint thinners.

Also bought another small chrome Cavallino off eBay as mine was missing. Only a few dollars.

After a brief rub down with fine grade sandpaper I sprayed 3 coats of Etch Primer (needed to bond the paint to the aluminium key heads) lightly sanding between coats. Then 3 coats of EHT Aluminium Engine Enamel. Baked them in the oven for 60 minutes at 90C. Then finally 3 coats of Rust-Oleum Clear coat after which I also baked them again in the oven for 60 minutes at 90 DegC.

I also bought 2 key blanks off eBay for $AUD 20 I think and had them easily cut to match my original. However the heads on the new blanks are too big and needed to be cut down to match my original. Take care to do this accurately as it’s a snug press fit back into the aluminium heads so needs to be close to original.

Sounds like over kill but the paint is fast drying and it was all done in a day. I did this as the paint on these keys has to be rugged otherwise they will chip again in no time. This was the toughest coating I could think of without going to baked enamel. Finally stuck the new chrome Cavallino in place and they came out good as new

Now the fob!?!? You will notice in my earlier post the fob I bought was a US spec fob and as I later discovered did not work on my UK import car. Smart me.......did the homework after I bought it

Fortunately being in Oz I was able to get onto Immofixer (based in Canberra) who saved the day for me.

Not only was I able to swap over my fob for a UK fob but he also clarified exactly what I needed to do to program the new fob into my car.
    In particular the fact that you CANNOT use a clone (if you buy a fob off eBay check first, do not buy a clone)

Another major point is that you need ‘another red master’ to help you add the additional black fob to your own set.
    Why..... because you can only trigger the ‘learn mode’ of your immobiliser system by using a ‘different master’ which has a ‘different code’ to your existing red master. The idea is that you program your car to the new red master plus the 2 black fobs, then you go through the whole exercise again using your original red master (now the new master as far as you car is concerned) along with the 2 black fobs again.
    Now you have a full set of your fobs for the car. Then you give back the other red fob .

So..... you need a friend who is willing to temporarily lend you his/her red master fob along with the PIN which you can then use to ultimately reprogram your car back to both your red master and new black fobs.
    Immofixer was also able to help me out here as well by supplying the required red master fob and PIN and all for a very reasonable price indeed.

Confused !?!? It certainly can be complicated if you don’t know what to do. However dead easy once you are appropriately enlightened

Go to https://immofixer.com/ and have a look at his great videos on how to do it. Then give him a call. He is only too happy to help you. In fact he loves a good chat

Now I have my 2 , as new, keys and 3 fobs.... and I am happy

knocker and f355spider like this.
  18. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

for those of you close to Hong Kong, I can now clone your black fob. Ship to Hong kong and consider it done.

f355spider likes this.
  19. Reddesire348

Oct 10, 2017
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Andrew Gaal
    f355spider and Skidkid like this.
  20. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Clones can work, but you have to be smarter than the clone. Makes much more sense to get a full set of operating fobs.

f355spider likes this.
  21. Reddesire348

Oct 10, 2017
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Andrew Gaal
    Not sure what you mean by ‘be smarter than the clone’ however I think the video above is clear enough on why clones are no good.

As for buying full sets.... that’s fine if you have the money to burn. They are not cheap.
    If you only need one fob as I wanted why buy a whole new set when you can very easily reprogram a second hand one into your existing set.

Each to their own I guess

22. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Andrew- Only trouble is you cannot easily reprogram a second hand one into your existing fob set. You need to do some research on how the fobs work. You cannot use your current red fob and PIN code to add fobs to a set. You need a new PIN and red fob to do that.

When you do that research, you will figure out what I mean about clones.

In the past, Eric355 and I used to provide new sets of 3 fobs with a new PIN for a reasonable cost. Stopped doing that when the PIN code in the red fob and immobilizer was decoded from the alphanumeric print outs. Easier to just have someone use that info to fix whatever needed doing.

23. Reddesire348

Oct 10, 2017
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Andrew Gaal
    I assume you read my previous post. I have already done it. I know what was involved.
    I bought a second hand black fob ‘cheap’ borrowed someone else’s red fob and PIN and programmed it into my set.
    It is very easy once you learn the basic procedure.
    For myself Immofixer was extremely helpful. But doesn’t need to be even him. All you need is a friend to lend you their red fob and PIN and you give it back 10 minutes later!!
    If I bought a complete new set I would still have to use almost the same programming procedure to program the new set into my car so no advantage there just way more expensive to buy a whole fob set.

As for clones I stand by what I said earlier, don’t buy one it’s a waste of money. If the ‘research’ you mention on clones tell us otherwise and where the video I posted is wrong we would all be happy to read it.

24. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I thought a PIN is burned into the immo unit and red FOB in the factory on each car. Once imprinted, one of the ECU is tied to the immo installed. I'm intrigued ... please provide details as to how you did it.

I'm about ready to call BS on this one.

25. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Steve, kind of. It is programmed into a PROM but it can be reprogrammed and it changes both. It can not be changed so easily if you don't have the PIN.

Andrew, the problem with your solution is your friends red fob now works on your car and yours does not. I guess you could change it with theirs, then change it back with yours.