458 - 458 Back up camera system | FerrariChat

458 458 Back up camera system

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Yuriy Zeylikman, Oct 10, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Yuriy Zeylikman

Oct 7, 2019
    Full Name:
    Yuriy Zeylikman
    Hello, I have I have recently purchased 2010 458 that didn't come with a back up camera that I would like to put it and use the 3rd LCD screen as originally manufactured. I have found that the part number is 261191 is the module, wiring harness and back up camera that will directly plug into the LCD screen. Problem is that it has been on back order for now 11 months and no site of it being available soon.

I have located someone selling the module and the wiring harness form crashed 458 but the backup camera alone has been sold. It appears the camera is a direct plug in and does not use the usual aftermarket 12V rca cables.

Can anyone please assist if they know what the voltage of the camera is? If it is 6 volts or possibly 12, I am thinking if might be a possibility to get an aftermarket camera spliced into the wiring harness. I am attaching a photo of the whole system. I am able to obtain the module, wiring harness but not the camera itself.

Any input is highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    The issue you might run into is having Ferrari's infotainment system recognize it, if it wasn't originally configured that way from the factory.

Check some place like Eurospares and see if you can buy the camera directly. It's possible that it will be recognized if you plug it into the harness, but with Ferrari you just never know.

Ray

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  3. Yuriy Zeylikman

Oct 7, 2019
    Full Name:
    Yuriy Zeylikman
    So far no one has these cameras or even whole systems in stock. Ferrari has been on back order for these for past 1 year so unlikely to show up soon.

4. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    One of the issues is the original rear bumper with back up option has a spot for the camera and an indentation for it so, if your car didn't have factory backup then you do not have the indentation to take the factory back up cam in its factory position

The above is one issue, now you could get around the factory part not being available by either buying this: https://www.nav.tv/products/ferrari-reverse-camera-input-f12-ff-458-fer-clustmod

Or by buying the ferrari infotainment upgrade for the 458 that then adds the camera option to a car that does not have it. Only issue is with infotainment upgrade is its not great and cost a lot for what it is.

I had 2 458s without back up cam, now bought one with it and do not use it, just the mirrors so, I would say I thought I needed it to start with as I didn't have it but tbh it's a complete waste of time, effort to retrofit and money but, if you want it you do have options.

Gl, Pete

Sent from my CLT-L09 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. kimwizzzuuu

kimwizzzuuu Karting

Aug 26, 2018
    new york
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    This is the closest OEM looking aftermarket set up for the 458, but I could not find any info out of it. I found this pic from an IG account in Japan.

6. Yuriy Zeylikman

Oct 7, 2019
    Full Name:
    Yuriy Zeylikman
    PTG1. Thank you for input very helpful. Kimwizzzzuuu, aftermaket options include different screen/mirror mount/visor mount which I don't want to do.
    NavTV one you need to remove the cluster board and send it to them. This is $2500. I don't particularly want to remove my cluster board and send to anyone. This is become way to hectic at this time to make it work. Easy option would be https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07S8X4RJ4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=AMQT9X7PMERMQ&psc=1 hahaha

7. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    there are a few used cameras on ebay

Ray

8. Yuriy Zeylikman

Oct 7, 2019
    Full Name:
    Yuriy Zeylikman
    Would you mind sharing a link from ebay. I have seen only one back up camera for 488 which is different system.

9. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
  10. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
  11. Yuriy Zeylikman

Oct 7, 2019
    Full Name:
    Yuriy Zeylikman
    Exoticautorecycling have the module and the back up harness but not the camera. That is where I was going to get those parts.
    Ferrparts and other don't have this in stock so has to come from italy which it is back
    ordered.

12. Yuriy Zeylikman

Oct 7, 2019
    Full Name:
    Yuriy Zeylikman
  13. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Sometimes you just can't win

Ray

14. butcher

butcher Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    Castro Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Albert
  15. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    ^This. Are you going to replace the bumper or drill a hole?

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

16. Billdreamlv

Billdreamlv Rookie

Feb 22, 2021
    Full Name:
    Bill ODonnell
    Did you ever find out what voltage the camera is using?

17. PMiranda

PMiranda Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2004
    Austin, TX
    navtv is down to 1500GBP ($2000 these days) but I can't see popping open the instrument cluster and sending it off for modification.
    I think I'll just use the ultrasonic sensors like in my older cars. In my newer cars with cameras, the time it takes for them to switch on is so slow I almost never look at them anyway, except when hooking up a trailer in my truck.

18. Billdreamlv

Billdreamlv Rookie

Feb 22, 2021
    Full Name:
    Bill ODonnell
    I had a broken camera on a Ferrari 458 and the camera is fixed. The symptom of the camera problem was that the display would turn on and the color lines would appear in the screen. It appeared the screen wanted to display something but it just couldn't get there. I took off the drivers side rear wheel well rear plastic cowling. There is a green connector located near the bottom of the wheel well. This connector is not sealed very well and I pulled it apart. It appeared to be broken. The connector is right where the water and mist from the wheel would be sprayed up inside the housing on rainy days and cause corrosion in the connector. It appeared the connector pins were corroded. The pins are so small that they do not make very good connection. I pulled the two halves of the connector apart and cleaned the pins with a dental explorer and very carefully bent the female pins in the female side so that the male pins would be tight. Then I took some heat shrink tubing and slipped it on the cable. This cable must be disconnected when you take the bumper off but the heat shrink tubing can be cut easily and re-installed when you have to take the bumper off for some reason. Anyway, it worked and worked great. The picture pops up every time. Image Unavailable, Please Login

gstudent and ItsNotAMustang like this.
  19. 458Spider2013

458Spider2013 Karting

Dec 1, 2021
    Full Name:
    Pete Gregory
    in the market for a cam as well. #261191. for 458. Have wire, just need cam.

20. 458LOVE

458LOVE Rookie

Jan 29, 2020
    I agree! It's not needed. You don't know this until you get the car and realize this car does't have blind spots like other supercars and rear camera just isn't needed!