Alaska Ferrari Services | FerrariChat

Alaska Ferrari Services

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by jsatkinson20, May 19, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jsatkinson20

jsatkinson20 Rookie

May 19, 2019
    North Pole, AK
    Full Name:
    Justin Atkinson
    Howdy, brand new to this and apologies if I'm beating a dead horse, so to speak. I've done some research here and found only one thread from 2008 that mentioned some Ferraris exist in Alaska. There's no dealer here and I can't remember ever seeing one on the road from Anchorage to Fairbanks or over to here in North Pole. I also was not really able to find any confirmed exotic repair shop around Fairbanks or even down in Anchorage.

The previously stated old thread noted that people had to ship their vehicles down to Seattle in order to get maintenance or repairs completed. Is this still true or is there a hidden gem up here? I'm going to be here for at least another two years and now that I can finally spend the requisite money to purchase one (teenage dream to own one), I wanted to accurately forecast maintenance expenditures, which may include shipping, in order to budget accordingly.

TL;DR version: Has anyone had experience with owning a Ferrari up in wild Alaska and what did you have to do to keep it running?

2. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Well I'd suggest if you are going to be in the interior you get the car sorted and things like belt changes done before you get it up here. Once the big stuff is done basic things like oil and filter changes aren't too involved. What is your level of ability to work on cars? I've sent some items from my car to Dave Helms in CO for him to do work on (control arms and alternator/voltage regulator).

3. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006
    I have actually flow up there and done service and repairs on cars in Anchorage. Generally it has been newer cars, 430 or newer. For older cars yes we did ship them into the Seattle dealership when I worked there, generally shipped into Seattle in the fall and returned spring.

f355spider likes this.
  4. jsatkinson20

jsatkinson20 Rookie

May 19, 2019
    North Pole, AK
    Full Name:
    Justin Atkinson
    Understood. I feel confident I could remove and reinstall the problem part(s) as required. Diagnosing things may not be all that easy for me, but it could be a good learning experience. All the significant work prior to shipment makes sense to get completed and thanks for the info on potentially needing to ship back down to the lower 48. Thanks much!

5. Jeremy58jeremy

Jeremy58jeremy Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 30, 2010
    Palmer, Alaska
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Grimes
    Hey Justin, I just moved back to Palmer in May and brought my 599 GTB up with me. I am equipped pretty good for most diagnostic and repair work for my car. If you get into a bind and need some help or tools let me know.

f355spider likes this.
  6. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    It looks like the OP departed the fix very rapidly!

7. jsatkinson20

jsatkinson20 Rookie

May 19, 2019
    North Pole, AK
    Full Name:
    Justin Atkinson
    Indeed. Unfortunately, the purchase itself didn't work out. There were too many issues that arose in the pre-purchase inspection, so I never even got to buy one...yet!

8. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Sorry it didn't work out. Better to find out now instead of after you bought it.

PS, PM sent