488 Pista vs 720s track battle | Page 3 | FerrariChat

488 Pista vs 720s track battle

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by BG23, Oct 2, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    They are outfited with comparable tyres, since the 720s tested are on Corsas.

2. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I went for a ride in the Pista this morning it is an incredible car and if you have an opportunity to buy one you should jump all over it. Once again the Pista and the 720 are different enough that I enjoy having both. The 720 Spider is a fantastic semi-daily driver and the Pista for more special driving events such as track day. If you are on a super car budget (relatively speaking) a used 720 is a great choice.

Caeruleus11 and Coincid like this.
  3. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I didnt see that and that's not usually the case. My Pista and 720 came with different tires but maybe I missed something....

4. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    I drive my Performante every day because life is too short to deny myself that pleasure. I am hoping the addition of the F8 will further satisfy my lust for excitement. The 720s is excessively refined and comfortable for my needs. Would love to try the Pista.

gzachary and Gh21631 like this.
  5. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    No one else noticed that the 720 was on just Track-Sport? Meaning very intrusive nannying still on as compared to Pista’s race mode ie the 720 was handicapped in comparison and definitively could’ve gone faster.

6. 355TDI

355TDI Karting

Feb 1, 2019
    London
    Full Name:
    Immat Wings
    CT Off is probably quicker on Ferrari’s than race mode for the same. The Pista is conclusively quicker on track there’s been so many independent tests it’s not really an argument anymore and no shame on the 720s. The longer the track the greater difference in lap times in favour of the Pista, which tells us it clearly works better on the limit. 720s is probably quicker in a straight line particularly beyond 124 mph

7. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I agree, use it. A friend of mine has an SVJ and already has 12k miles.

Thecadster and Coincid like this.
  8. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    As usual fast on a drag strip but not as fast on a circuit these maccas. Like a Tesla?

LVP488 likes this.
  9. PistaGuyAZ

PistaGuyAZ Karting

Apr 10, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ryan Woon
    The car was in track track for the fast laps. The video is cut from all the laps they do not just the fast lap. Oli confirmed this when we chatted about the test.

freshmeat likes this.
  10. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Doesn't rally matter either way very few people are really pushing their Pista or 720s on a track. In the real world they are comparable performance-wise. Funny how people get so hung up on .3 of second lap on the ring when they have never even owned one of these cars.

11. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    So true.

Gh21631 likes this.
  12. Sirt2k

Sirt2k Rookie

Apr 27, 2018
    Hi all. I currently own both a Pista and 720 Spider. Had the opportunity to take both to a Ferrari Track Day. Was able to get both cars pretty warmed up and side by side.

Looks: Subjective.
    Interior: Subjective. Also depends on specification.
    Performance: 720 is quicker on the straight but not by much. Around the track the Pista is a FAR superior vehicle. In every possible way. I loved my 720 when I got it but after the track day I put the Mclaren up for sale. New respect for the Pista after pushing it hard.

13. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    Curious... Robert Mitchel from Apex Taxi that drives 99% in the Nurburgring always making super fast laps has put the Pista for sale and stick with the Macs.

14. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Could that be for a financial motivation? ;)

Igor Ound likes this.
  15. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    No, in one of his videos he just said the Macs feel more like a race car especially the suspension.

16. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    That doesn't mean anything - and who really cares for that matter? An opinion based upon personal preferences is just that. It doesn't mean just because one person says or thinks a particular way that we we all should automatically follow suit with that thinking as being correct, least of all base our own purchasing decisions from what someone else opines. I would no way in my wildest of dreams swap my Pista for a 720 that's 100% for dead set certain....take that one to the bank!

One thing that is for sure though is that a 720 is worth a whole lot less than a Pista so in that sense it would be logical to wear out a cheaper and easily replaceable car where circuit work was its main duty.