FERRARI 360 ALARM SIREN REPLACEMENT | Page 3 | FerrariChat

FERRARI 360 ALARM SIREN REPLACEMENT

Discussion in '360/430' started by JKLIVIN, May 19, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CCRider66

CCRider66 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 29, 2014
    Sussex, WI
    Full Name:
    Brian
    [I have recently seen details of how to code the EEprom from the OE Ferrari siren onto the EEprom of a GM unit which allegedly solves the errant noise problem.
    If I cannot make what I have now work then that will be my next attempt at a solution.[/QUOTE]

Care to share??
    I would be interested in attempting this.
    Thank you!

2. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    #52 GCalo, Oct 11, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
    Just need to ID they type of eprom and hopefully it is an eeprom

Knowing the type then the pinouts can be determined

The procedure is the same as what we did to program key fobs.

One needs an eeprom tool with leads and the software and that's it

If the device uses an eeprom, then that can be erased and reprogramed

If it uses only an eprom, then the info is extracted from the eprom in the OEM unit, and then programed into a new eprom.

However, the eprom in the GM unit must be unsoldered and replaced with the newly programmed eprom and then that gets soldered into place.

The unsoldering and then soldering is a very difficult task that needs a 15 watt iron max.

3. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    It might just be me, but isn’t it a lot easier to just to pay the additional $200 or so and just get the Ferrari siren?

Steve

Apollo 11 likes this.
  4. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    this is true if one is not electro/mechanically inclined

The eprom is about $0.50 and the whole process takes maybe 1/2 hour.

It is all about comfort level and experience

Whatever works is fine.

5. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    Can one desolder the eprom from the old Ferrari siren and then solder it to the GM siren? Or will that not work?

6. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    you could but w/o a software B/U of the original eprom you could be screwed if you put too much heat on the transferred eprom which cooks it!

since the eprom are not socketed which would make the process of transferring the eprom a piece of cake one has to be very careful

There isjust never an easy way!

7. CCRider66

CCRider66 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 29, 2014
    Sussex, WI
    Full Name:
    Brian
    So your saying get an eprom reader/writer, run leads from Ferrari and make a backup of the eprom.
    then you could desolder GM, replace with a new eprom written with the Ferrari.

Sums it up?? Easy Peazy, right? ;)

8. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    That is effectively what you can do.

Best also to solder in a socket into the GM unit.

You can order the eprom and the socket from Mouser but get the comparable eprom with leads and not surface mount style.

Then you can just insert the programmed eprom into socket w/o damaging eprom with heat from soldering iron

9. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    I do not have the info with me for the eprom reader and software.

I will try to check later and then post the info

The units can be purchased inexpensively from eBay sellers

BTW, the eprom eraser you mention I would bet is for the 256K larger body styles that have the erase window that needs to be covered after programming.

Might not be applicable to the smaller eproms

10. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    Or you could open you wallet and pull out $300 and be done with it. But, it all sincerity, there are things I would prefer to do just because I am a nerd. For some people, doing the EPROM thing is ... well, it is just fun to do. And, if in the end it works, there is a lot of self satisfaction. For me, doing the EPROM thing just did not appeal to me. Others ... it just might.

Steve

11. CCRider66

CCRider66 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 29, 2014
    Sussex, WI
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Please do, drop a couple links. I'm a picture, watch and learn type of guy. What I mean is I have a harder time visualizing everything in my head from just reading text, until I see the stuff with my eyes.

12. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    Always better to see a video, but can't do now.

Those who have worked with and programmed eproms know how

If you are not sure then have someone do it for you. (no not me too busy at mom)

If I get time I will try to program some eproms and make avail with a socket for the GM board

13. gobble

gobble Formula 3
    Owner Regional Sponsor

Jan 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Ferrarifobs.com
    I've done this successfully now. Someone sent me a Ferrari siren and I copied its data onto a GM siren. It was tested today by a guy that maintains a 500 car collection side-by-side with the Ferrari part in another car and it works just like the Ferrari part. I might put a couple on Ebay and mark them up 50 or 100 bucks or something like that. It's actually quite a bit of work because you have to cut the case open then find an epoxy that works to reconnect that type of plastic.

360Grigio and Need4Spd like this.
  14. MarcoB

MarcoB Rookie

Dec 30, 2017
    Full Name:
    Mark B
    I am about to do this, I bought the part of Eurospares, more expensive at £280 but a lot less than the garage wanted to charge for the whole job. Just wanted to check that there is no risk of any impact on anything else when you just swap this part in - no impact on electrics, the car being able tot be turned on etc, it is literally just the siren?

15. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    If you have the Ferrari siren from Eurospares then you should be good to go. The biggest pain was getting access. You have remove the panels in the front boot. Take note on the screws securing the panels. Some are are short some are long. You need to remove the vapor barrier behind panel. Hard to do. I cut mine with sharp knife and when putting it back together use aluminum tape to secure in place.

steve

16. MarcoB

MarcoB Rookie

Dec 30, 2017
    Full Name:
    Mark B
    Thanks a lot! Have seen the video so think I am ready to roll!

17. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Eric, you’re the man!

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat